• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Edward Norton's type

deleted
That is a weird explanation, but I do agree he's a beta.

He seems much more Ni/INFP to me, for one. His Fe is a bit off, but is usually off base for creative Fe depending on the circumstance. He's in interviews so he's probably trying his best to stick with super-ID because of his value system. in his efforts, he doesn't seem very Se. He seems to value it, but its hard to seem him use it except for moments in his characters' roles.

Read up on the suggestive function, because I think that describes his Se very well.

I still think he could be an ISTJ though.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Gut feeling: INFJ, INFP, INTP, ENFJ

So that makes my possible orders of dominant functions look like this:

IN, EF, IT
IF, EN, IS
IT, EN, IS
EF, IN, ES

A few Edward Norton basics and influences:
-B.A. in History from Yale.
-Mother was an English teacher
-Father is an environmental lawyer.
-Worked for his Grandfathers affordable housing company in Japan.
-He worked as a waiter, a proofreader, and a director's assistant to try to get his foot in the door in New York City while pursuing acting.
-Hates finance.
-Hates selfishness.

My take on all of that is that Ed's an active humitarian and fluent at writing about world issues and looking into history to understand world issues. (extremely INFJ)

If anything Edward Norton is at the MARGIN because of how well adjusted he is from his vast life experience. Lots of inferior traits that can be picked out as seemingly dominant, so that's the first hindrance to labelling him with a type. Also, I hope you guys aren't trying to type him by watching his movies because he's a brilliant actor who can portray many roles with differing types. Watch his interviews and several things, I think, leap from the page.

If you guys could watch part 3/7 on youtubes Actors Studio with Edward Norton, Edward goes into detail about his method and being a representation of the character. He really likes to break things down, and dissect things, which is an awful lot like any INFP, INTP, and INFJ. It's the way in which he gives the information though that stands out. He doesn't speak with the facts only, like an INTP (sorry guys, no insult intended). He doesn't work just in theories, he discusses his method by how he relates to it, how he feels about it which is more of an EF trait. However, I think he might be an INFJ who was raised by an INTP mother who taught him to push his tertiary TI button, and if at the margin with a weak IN, weak EF, and weak IT, in that order, the case for an INFJ makes a lot of sense.

He'd love to be a pilot, and hates finance and he hates selfishness (all very un ISTJ like). He talked about having to get out of his own head, unlike some actors who live there naturally and are the same off the screen as they are on the screen, whereas, Edward has to force himself to move out of his headspace, like what is said about INTP's, INFJ's and INFP's.

There is no way he's an ISTJ, say what? Dominant IS, with ET, IF. He'd be a terrible actor, unable to tune into the thoughts and emotions of his characters. His struggle with acting does not seem like an S struggle at all in any way shape or form. As well, ISTJ's are naturally disposed to doing all things finance, and would probably find writing screenplays and movies, and studying history to be less than practical or necessary. As well, look at the plenthora of easily identifiable ISTJ actors on this list:

ISTJ Profile

Maybe even INTJ with IN, ET, IF. He definitely has a strong introverted intuition and is like the writers of other counterpart INTJ's. Again, he's sooo at the margin that I can hardly make up my mind what traits he pulls from amongst the ones we've all discussed.

deleted
Are you even using your Ti for this, paisley?

Another thing is he has a look in his eye, and intonation in his voice, when an interview question is asked, he will look into it as an "Fe" type question (about a mood that is created or his opinion of a person), even if its any other question, and he always seems to be forcing out words relating to his Ni, and his face lights up when he uses keywords from Ni, like strange or magic, in one of his interviews. He can never fully explain what he means. The feeling tones are there, but the wording has to relate to the listeners as best as he can through Fe. Creative function usually goes one way, and he doesn't let him come back at him. He's very defensive in that regard. He seems like a big INFP.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Is that an insult or understatement?

Ya, there's a case to be made for INFP for sure, that's definitely a huge possibility, like I said. IF, EN could be the way he views the world, like a quick study and, given all the great INFP writers of the world, but is that a natural disposition or is that a function of his upbringing and a learned trait?

Too close to the margin to be a run away in any type, but definitely not an ISTJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I was just piddle-paddling, dusting out a corner (istj) for the heck of it since I like to think about those ego relations a lot. Not for the heck of it actually, but the perspective it offers I think is useful in that once you pick up on patterns and hold those over other possibilities, it's like using your 50-50 card on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. so istj or infj?

Adding to what you've mentioned already, paisley1...
This isn't an ideal way that I'd like to make a point, but watching an interview of him for the Illusionist, you can catch him remarking on Jessica Beil (who is presumably isfp): that she is such a "natural elegance", very pure, graceful, being completely enamored with the "naturalness" that she exudes. Could this mean that he is more in touch with his Se than Si? Considering the last few posts on top of this, I think so. I see him as infj at this point.

He is not infp. Repeat - not infp. I can't see myself acting the way he does. Scratch that off your list, lemons!

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why do you say he's not INFP? What about his method and his writing ability strokes that off the list? Is it his dry collected demeanor that is the distinction you're making? What is your acting like, that he is sooo contrary? Let me in a bit to that.

As well, where does the in touch with Se and Si even come from, what's that about? He's naturally intuitive and can play on any S trait, is my blanket answer to that, especially if he's an INFJ!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
box1.jpg

.........................................................^ ^ HER

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love that you feel the need to call an actor pretentious.......lmao, hahahaha!!!! Yes he's a great big showoff, like every other actor out there.

Why INTP? Just a gut feeling?

Nice answer Edahn!

theplacesyoullgo

I love that you feel the need to call an actor pretentious.......lmao, hahahaha!!!! Yes he's a great big showoff, like every other actor out there.

Why INTP? Just a gut feeling?

Nice answer Edahn!

The "pretentious" was added with love. ;) He's an awesome actor and I'd fuck the shit out of him, even if I'd be fucking Courtney Love by extension.

I'll admit INTP is a total gut feeling; he talks like literally every INTP I've encountered.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I figured as much, typical when you want on! ENTJ hey places? I'll watch what I say then.

I agree, strong case for INTP, as he does talk like some of them. It definitely makes sense in how he gets caught up in the details and in minutia, as in his degree. At first glance, that's what I first thought, but at the margin. After digging into his life, I lean towards INFJ. He's far too eclectic to be another super thinker.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Awesome, most are, just buggin' ya! The stereotype does precede you. I love the heart on the sleeve say what you think attitude of ENTJ's, that I've just become familiar with. Breath of fresh air really. "Cut the shit" is the attitude, and I like it.

...tangent....aah well!

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Gosh, guys, let's go on about this for forever and a mile. Or just flip on CNN and watch Anderson Cooper. End of thread.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jennifer's got the Fight Club protagonist correctly as ISTJ. He's not one in real life at all, though; he just did a terrific job playing one because he's a really competent actor.

But Norton himself comes off as very NT in the noted interviews; he comes out swinging with broad thematic concepts that drew him to the film, and he doesn't stop with the endless Ne connections and implications:

It will be very easy for people to take potshots at Fight Club, to reduce it to a film that espouses violence or anarchy, but that's too superficial a way to look at it. It would be extremely lazy, for example, to tie the film directly to the climate around the bombings and shootings that have occurred in the last few years just because, on a brisk, superficial viewing, you could draw that connection.

My guess, though perhaps biased because I like Ed Norton so much, is:

Ed Norton, The Pimp

theplacesyoullgo

I'll be honest: I enjoyed Fight Club well enough and was probably the only chick who watched it for Norton rather than Brad Pitt (well, OK, I know of another one), but I guess I missed the super deep point.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Norton is far better than Pitt. I can see some INTP in him, but I think it is low on the T.

My fellow ENTJ lass, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having two of us ;)

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Not only is Norton better than Pitt in Fight Club, he's more attractive. :D

Anyway, voting for INTP as well. His acting style and manner of speaking strike me as very NT. I can't argue with people who see some extraverted feeling, because I do as well and at first that confused things, but I don't think he's INFJ. It definitely seems like his preference is thinking.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
edward and soulmate

edward ->
edward%20norton%20looks%20like%20brion%20james%20%28leon%2C%20bladerunner%29.jpg
<-leon (blade runner)
aecdvlcsnap614.jpg

Last edited:

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Dominant IT (INTP) hey, not a dominant IN (INFJ/INTJ), nor IF (INFP)? Bigger case for IT and IN than IF I think, after watching his interviews, he's definitely a thinker and stuck in his headspace.