Saint Nicololololas Array The Ü™'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Spock: ISTJ or INTJ?

This is a really confusing one. Sometimes Spock seems very ISTJ-ish because of his dogmatism and high principles, but also an INTJ-type, because he's also looked upon as a logical mystic.

He has the tendency to take things literally, which is not really an S or N trait, but more of an Introverted irrational function. I speculate that Si has a better understanding of what people mean because they have Ne as a fourth function, which possibly manifests itself in a practical understanding.

INTJ, on the other hand, is manifested quite differently. A dominant Ni is extremely self-absorbed and the least aware of its practical surroundings, and the inferior Se notices details, but without Ni instead of Ne, interpretations of the world are more about what you think something means rather than what it actually means.

What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Hard one indeed, but I'm going to side with ISTJ. He concentrates on the 'facts' a lot, and puts things in terms of facts and principles.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII

Well, Spock was never really created to be a MBTI type, which is what makes this a little difficult.

There is a notable triad occurring in ST:TOS

Spock = Thought
    McCoy = Feeling
    Kirk = Instinct

(i.e., more of an Enneagram-style breakdown).

Much of the interplay comes from each of these characters fulfilling their "given role" in the plot. They represent three different approaches to life.

Spock does seem to use Te -- he follows a deductive thinking process.

He comes across as either an ISTJ with a little more breadth than typical (then again, he exists in a universe with LOTS of interplanetary and intercultural travel, of course he has seen a lot and taken a variety of info into account!); or as a non-creative, rather "vision-less" INTJ type.

I lean towards the former, but I do not think clear classification is probable here... because Spock was more a representation of a way of acting in the world, not as much a "personality."
    Hey Capa. We're only stardust.

She was waiting, but she didn't know for what. She was aware only of her solitude, and of the penetrating cold, and of a greater weight in the region of her heart. ~ Albert Camus

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

Oberon

We also have to deal with trying to figure out how much of Spock's personality is actually him, and how much is learned behavior through acculturation. I gather that there aren't many bubbly demonstrative affectionate Vulcans.

I don't think he's an INTJ, he's far to interested in the rules and regulations.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Oberon

The good of the many outweighs the good of the few...or the one.

That kind of calculation...what type is that?

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    The good of the many outweighs the good of the few...or the one. That kind of calculation...what type is that?
    The scales. Justice. Balance two things. more typically ISTJ.

(It's also a big sense of social responsibility and relational duty.)

An INTJ would probably either let everyone die or find a way to save them all. (They never did like to play by the rules, they're very stubborn.)
    Hey Capa. We're only stardust.

She was waiting, but she didn't know for what. She was aware only of her solitude, and of the penetrating cold, and of a greater weight in the region of her heart. ~ Albert Camus

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post on this section, being an INFJ, but the topic looked very intriguing. I apologize in advance if this post was unwelcome.

I personally don't think Spock corresponds well to any particular MBTI type, because he would have to use Te. Te tends to be more abrasive, arguementative, and unyielding. Ti would fit better, but then he doesn't use much Se or Ne.

The other problem is that he most definately appears to be a Judging type, although he does seem capable of reacting quickly.

I definately see Si, because of his vast and precise memory. I think his unusually good sense of patterns and connections might have been a functional oddity that I have seen manifested in real people as well.

I would think ISTJ, but he isn't quite as abrasive as that type. Perhaps due to the social values he inherited on Vulcan, he appeared more Thinking than he really was? I'm guessing that he was either a very repressed ISFJ, or an unusually calm ISTJ. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post on this section, being an INFJ, but the topic looked very intriguing. I apologize in advance if this post was unwelcome.

I personally don't think Spock corresponds well to any particular MBTI type, because he would have to use Te. Te tends to be more abrasive, arguementative, and unyielding. Ti would fit better, but then he doesn't use much Se or Ne.

The other problem is that he most definately appears to be a Judging type, although he does seem capable of reacting quickly.

I definately see Si, because of his vast and precise memory. I think his unusually good sense of patterns and connections might have been a functional oddity that I have seen manifested in real people as well.

I would think ISTJ, but he isn't quite as abrasive as that type. Perhaps due to the social values he inherited on Vulcan, he appeared more Thinking than he really was? I'm guessing that he was either a very repressed ISFJ, or an unusually calm ISTJ. Does that make sense?

I very much agree with your analysis. But because Spock seems to use heavy Ti I was thinking he is some sort of weird hybrid between an ISTJ and INTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

If he posted to INTPc, he would probably put IxTJ in his profile.