• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spock: ISTJ or INTJ?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a really confusing one. Sometimes Spock seems very ISTJ-ish because of his dogmatism and high principles, but also an INTJ-type, because he's also looked upon as a logical mystic.

He has the tendency to take things literally, which is not really an S or N trait, but more of an Introverted irrational function. I speculate that Si has a better understanding of what people mean because they have Ne as a fourth function, which possibly manifests itself in a practical understanding.

INTJ, on the other hand, is manifested quite differently. A dominant Ni is extremely self-absorbed and the least aware of its practical surroundings, and the inferior Se notices details, but without Ni instead of Ne, interpretations of the world are more about what you think something means rather than what it actually means.

What are your thoughts?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hard one indeed, but I'm going to side with ISTJ. He concentrates on the 'facts' a lot, and puts things in terms of facts and principles.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, Spock was never really created to be a MBTI type, which is what makes this a little difficult.

There is a notable triad occurring in ST:TOS

Spock = Thought
McCoy = Feeling
Kirk = Instinct

(i.e., more of an Enneagram-style breakdown).

Much of the interplay comes from each of these characters fulfilling their "given role" in the plot. They represent three different approaches to life.

Spock does seem to use Te -- he follows a deductive thinking process.

He comes across as either an ISTJ with a little more breadth than typical (then again, he exists in a universe with LOTS of interplanetary and intercultural travel, of course he has seen a lot and taken a variety of info into account!); or as a non-creative, rather "vision-less" INTJ type.

I lean towards the former, but I do not think clear classification is probable here... because Spock was more a representation of a way of acting in the world, not as much a "personality."

O

Oberon

We also have to deal with trying to figure out how much of Spock's personality is actually him, and how much is learned behavior through acculturation. I gather that there aren't many bubbly demonstrative affectionate Vulcans.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think he's an INTJ, he's far to interested in the rules and regulations.

O

Oberon

The good of the many outweighs the good of the few...or the one.

That kind of calculation...what type is that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The good of the many outweighs the good of the few...or the one. That kind of calculation...what type is that?

The scales. Justice. Balance two things. more typically ISTJ.

(It's also a big sense of social responsibility and relational duty.)

An INTJ would probably either let everyone die or find a way to save them all. (They never did like to play by the rules, they're very stubborn.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post on this section, being an INFJ, but the topic looked very intriguing. I apologize in advance if this post was unwelcome.

I personally don't think Spock corresponds well to any particular MBTI type, because he would have to use Te. Te tends to be more abrasive, arguementative, and unyielding. Ti would fit better, but then he doesn't use much Se or Ne.

The other problem is that he most definately appears to be a Judging type, although he does seem capable of reacting quickly.

I definately see Si, because of his vast and precise memory. I think his unusually good sense of patterns and connections might have been a functional oddity that I have seen manifested in real people as well.

I would think ISTJ, but he isn't quite as abrasive as that type. Perhaps due to the social values he inherited on Vulcan, he appeared more Thinking than he really was? I'm guessing that he was either a very repressed ISFJ, or an unusually calm ISTJ. Does that make sense?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post on this section, being an INFJ, but the topic looked very intriguing. I apologize in advance if this post was unwelcome.

I personally don't think Spock corresponds well to any particular MBTI type, because he would have to use Te. Te tends to be more abrasive, arguementative, and unyielding. Ti would fit better, but then he doesn't use much Se or Ne.

The other problem is that he most definately appears to be a Judging type, although he does seem capable of reacting quickly.

I definately see Si, because of his vast and precise memory. I think his unusually good sense of patterns and connections might have been a functional oddity that I have seen manifested in real people as well.

I would think ISTJ, but he isn't quite as abrasive as that type. Perhaps due to the social values he inherited on Vulcan, he appeared more Thinking than he really was? I'm guessing that he was either a very repressed ISFJ, or an unusually calm ISTJ. Does that make sense?

I very much agree with your analysis.:) But because Spock seems to use heavy Ti I was thinking he is some sort of weird hybrid between an ISTJ and INTP.

heart

heart on fire
If he posted to INTPc, he would probably put IxTJ in his profile. ;)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ISTJ. Ni has too much of an "illogical," right-brained quality to fit Spock, so I can't really see him as an INTJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ. Ni has too much of an "illogical," right-brained quality to fit Spock, so I can't really see him as an INTJ.

Ah, but theoretically, Si and Ni are both left-brained.

I think INTJ because he looks for the more elusive meaning in human behavior, where the ISTJ is more accepting. Te is what can make both types conscientious and rule-bound -- sort of like policemen.

I think he's more dominated by Te than anything else, which in theory, would make him an ExTJ.

In terms of the FFM, Spock does lean toward a High Openness (which corresponds to N) and High Conscientiousness (which corresponds to J). When those two factors mix, the N's creativity could cancel itself out with the stuffiness of J, resulting a desire to intellectualize.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Does MBTI even apply to non-humans? Surely we need a new type. IVTJ for him.

-Geoff

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would go for ISTJ. Spock is all rules and regulations and Vulcan traditions. In addition, he is very detail -oriented.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This should be a poll, because I just want to state an opinion without having to waste the time to [futilely] support it.

(He is ISTJ, btw. But I will compromise on IVTJ if I have to.)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't Spock reasonably be Ti dominant, since that is the processing of logic? If that is the case then he is either INTP or ISTP. Based on the descriptions, INTP wins hands down. He wouldn't be Ni dominant (INTJ) or Si dominant (ISTJ) would he?

G

GirlAmerica

I was on another 'type' board, and you all are much more fun here!
I loved this thread!!! Awesome.

I always had a crush on Spock when I was a girl (I am 38...yeah, yeah..getting old I know)...
And even as a woman I have a very strong magnetic draw straight to ISTJ's.
I have to vote ISTJ...
ISTJ's make me feel a sense of being grounded and safety.
Like no matter what happened, if I were by their side I would come out okay.
They rock.

Seems this board is very lacking of them....sadly. I enjoy their wit.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't Spock reasonably be Ti dominant, since that is the processing of logic? If that is the case then he is either INTP or ISTP. Based on the descriptions, INTP wins hands down. He wouldn't be Ni dominant (INTJ) or Si dominant (ISTJ) would he?

Yeah, I think INTP is also a possibility. I actually considered that, too, but so many descriptions label him as J.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

But Spock is outwardly judging.

(Imagine any IxTP -- they look totally different, they are completely floating and laid back, while Spock is extremely structured, self-controlled, precise. It's very difficulty to make a case for Spock to be a P. His IxxJ reading is probably the most obvious thing about him.)

If Spock is outwardly judging (Te, most likely, despite his sometimes moralistic stance -- he is impersonal, not personal), then his inner world must be Ni or Si.

Then again, he's not human. Can we type him as a human?

I always had a crush on Spock when I was a girl (I am 38...yeah, yeah..getting old I know)...

Hey, don't sweat it, sis -- we 38-year-olds have to stick together! :)