User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think in the later LOTR books Gandalf does come across more Je, but I think it's him incorporating an Fe element into his style of motivating others. If INTP, for example, nothing is stopping him engaging Fe cogitations where appropriate, it's just that he doesn't observe an Fe mindset all the time and being forced to would cause stress and conflict.
    That might also fit the INFJ type. That's why INFJs need time to recharge and withdraw from people from time to time. Constant Fe-mode tire them out. They are not Fe-dominants who crave for Fe-bonding all the time. It's rather their auxiliary Fe allows them to engage and check out the Fe strata from time to time.

To me Gandalf feels INFJish in the movie. I didn't read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Saruman is more of an NTJ counterpart in the books, although even I'm getting tired of the NTJ villain trope, (however this is with respect to the fact most writers probably don't intend that and typology is always open to intepretation). On the other hand, perhaps NTJ's can take pride in the fact they make some of the best villains.
    I've read that Elrond is likened to an INTJ, for comparison. Is he like one in the books?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Bold added. But they were forbidden to match power with power; they were supposed to inspire the peoples to fight for themselves.
    Saruman feels ESTJish in the movie. Perhaps it's because of the actor. He tries offsetting Sauron's power with amassing a power of his own. It's just that he doesn't appear to have the foresight to see that his actions would cause more harm then good.

Sauron feels like ENTJish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Gandalf is good at making quick decisions and does not over-think them. I agree that he has Fe and Ti, but I don't see him as a Ti dom. I see him as an INFJ with well developed tertiary.

Considering how old he is, why is this so hard to believe?
    I agree with your conclusion.

And what about Galadriel?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    That might also fit the INFJ type. That's why INFJs need time to recharge and withdraw from people from time to time. Constant Fe-mode tire them out. They are not Fe-dominants who crave for Fe-bonding all the time. It's rather their auxiliary Fe allows them to engage and check out the Fe strata from time to time.

To me Gandalf feels INFJish in the movie. I didn't read the books.
    I agree. Here's my stock example:

I've read that Elrond is likened to an INTJ, for comparison. Is he like one in the books?
    I would say ISTJ, tbh.

Saruman feels ESTJish in the movie. Perhaps it's because of the actor. He tries offsetting Sauron's power with amassing a power of his own. It's just that he doesn't appear to have the foresight to see that his actions would cause more harm then good.

Sauron feels like ENTJish.
    Yep. If you read up on Sauron's backstory that becomes obvious. Saruman is similar but his motivations are different - rather than control the minds of living creatures to bring order to the world (Sauron's vision), he is concerned with industrial advancement and mechanisation. He also plots against Sauron while pretending to be his ally. I see Saruman as an INTJ gone wrong.

I agree with your conclusion.

And what about Galadriel?
    Another INFJ. INFJs are rarely the dreamy, reflective people they're made out to be (though their visions, if Ti is not developed, can be completely irrational).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I think the potential to do great evil on a macro level is much greater due to the nature of those types' personalities. However the inverse is also true (eg Theoden, an example of a heroic ENTJ). A lot of it depends on the environment the individual and their beliefs are exposed to. People who have read Tolkien's books will be aware that nether Saruman nor Sauron started off as evil, but was corrupted due to their desires to create order and structure, and control aspects of the world to make their visions a reality. Very NTJ-ish.
    I agree, it's what I enjoyed about reading The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. No one is really quite as straight forward as is often conceived. If I recall correctly Sauron used to be the Maiar to Aule the Smith, (who was himself a bit wayward in his creation of the Dwarfs).
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tolkien fans may enjoy this interactive visualization of Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Natalia Bilenko and Asako Miyakawa, depicting character interactions and relative emotional context: http://nbilenko.com/projects/hobbit.html (best viewed in chrome)
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Tolkein fans may enjoy this interactive visualization of Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Natalia Bilenko and Asako Miyakawa, depicting character interactions and relative emotional context: http://nbilenko.com/projects/hobbit.html (best viewed in chrome)
    This is very cool.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Gandalf - ENTP
    Aragorn - ISTJ
    Frodo - ISFP
    Sam - ISFJ
    Gollum - ISFJ
    Legolas - ISTP
    Gimli - ESTP
    Boromir - ESTJ
    Theoden - ISTJ
    Sauron - ENTJ
    Saruman - INTJ
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    INFP

Frodo Baggins-INFP
    Gandalf-INTJ
    Samwise Gamgee-ESFJ
    Bilbo Baggins-ISFJ
    Meriadoc Brandybuck-ENFJ
    Peregrim Took-ESFP
    Aragorn-ISTP
    Boromir-ESTJ
    Legolas Greenleaf-ISTJ
    Gimli Elf-friend-ESTP
    Gwaihir-INTP
    Thorin Okenshield-ESTJ
    Dwalin-ESTJ
    Balin-ENFJ
    Fili-ESFJ
    Kili-ISFP
    Oin-ENTP
    Gloin-ESTP
    Dori-ESFJ
    Nori-ESTP
    Ori-ISFP
    Bifur-ESTP
    Bofur-ESFP
    Bombur-ENFP
    Elrond-INTJ
    Galadriel-INFJ
    Theoden-ESTJ
    Eomer-ESTJ
    Eowen-ISTP
    Thranduil-ESTJ
    Bard-INFJ
    Tauriel-INFP
    Celeborn-ISTJ
    Smaug-INTJ
    Sauron-INTJ
    Saurumon-ESTJ
    Radagast-ENFP
    Denthor-ESTJ
    Farimir-INFJ
    Haldir-ISTJ
    Azog-ESTJ
    Bolg-ESTP
    Beorn-ISTP
    Shelob-INTP
    Dain Ironfoot-ESTJ
    Arwen-ISFP
    Tom Bombadil-ESFP
    Grima Wormtongue-ENTJ
    Treebeard-ENTP
    The Master of Lake Town- ESTJ
    The Great Goblin-ESTP
    King of the Dead-INTP
    Witch King-ISTJ
    Beregond-ENFJ

And of course J.R.R.Tolkien-INFP

MBTI
    INFJ

Samwise - ISFJ
    Frodo - INFP
    Gandalf - INTJ
    Legolas - ISTP
    Gimli - ESTP
    Aragorn - INFJ

I'm not agreeing with the Gandalf as INTJ thing, he's too gregarious and laid back. If he was uptight and a bit OCD, occasssionally berating himself for being stupid then I'd believe it. Don't really see him as INTP though, that would be the weirdo in the woods for my money, the one with the rabbits. That's the kind of random you get with INTP's.

Saruman, ENTJ I can see that. Instantly aligns himself with the dark lord after assessment of the balance of power and not wanting to be on the losing side. It's nothing personal, all about winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Tolkien fans may enjoy this interactive visualization of Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Natalia Bilenko and Asako Miyakawa, depicting character interactions and relative emotional context: http://nbilenko.com/projects/hobbit.html (best viewed in chrome)
    I have no idea what this is depicting at all. Seriously clueless. Makes no sense to me.