User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Snape's type

Oberon

Default Snape's type

Rowling's best-developed and most intriguing (read: least wooden) character in the Harry Potter series is Severus Snape. Alan Rickman was well cast in the films. I can empathize with him.

What's his type? Definitely I, definitely T, probably P...

IxTP, then. Or do you disagree?

(Yes, I know the thread is foolish and pointless.)

Oberon

Jen's not answering because she's been too much of a snob to do Harry Potter. She prefers Tolkien. So do I, but Potterworld is very engaging, and I always love a new toy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hmm. I can see him as either ISTP or INTP. (Keeping in mind that I have valiantly resisted reading the books, but somehow I've allowed myself to be talked into watching all of the movies save the latest one. But Snape is my favorite character.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Jen's not answering because she's been too much of a snob to do Harry Potter. She prefers Tolkien. So do I, but Potterworld is very engaging, and I always love a new toy.
    I'm not a snob.
    I'm incurably lazy.

It's why I've never finished Unfortunate Events either.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not a snob.
    I'm incurably lazy.

It's why I've never finished Unfortunate Events either.
    Nah...you must simply not like it. If you liked it, you wouldn't be able to put it down.

How many times have you read LoTR through from end to end? That's not the act of a lazy person.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Nah...you must simply not like it. If you liked it, you wouldn't be able to put it down.

How many times have you read LoTR through from end to end? That's not the act of a lazy person.
    I seemed to have a lot more energy when I was younger... and less to distract me.

I read the first seven or eight books of UE in the same amount of days... then just got distracted. It's more a matter that the issues I deal with are more intense than my desire to block off large chunks of time to read.

(I recommend the UE books, btw. They're fun. And very smart.)

I haven't read through LotR for years -- ten or more? Some spot reading of my favorite parts from time to time, but I doubt I can wade through the second half of Two Towers anymore.

I do reread Donaldson every two years or so though, and am currently plowing through Earthsea for the thirtieth time it seems.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Snape's. Type.

Remember Snape?

This was a thread about Snape.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Snape's. Type.
    Remember Snape?
    This was a thread about Snape.
    Oh, snap!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Snape the button-pusher-but-ultimately-benign chaotic neutral - ISTP
    Snape the grand-plan-having neutral evil - INTP

Clearly I need to read the books to refine these impressions.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Snape is, in a way, the fulfillment of the "Harry Potter" fantasy. The books are written to appeal to the child Snape in all of us who, feeling ugly, awkward, and unpopular, desire mastery over those who have abused us. For Snape, it's mostly about the Will to Power, moderated only by loyalty...and his loyalty is uncertain.

Harry is also motivated by the Will to Power, in his case moderated by several other factors, primarily the love of the people around him (most notably the Weasleys and Dumbledore).

As I see it, the primary difference between Harry and the young Snape is that Harry had better social skills.