• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Snape's type

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In his teaching, Snape seems more procedural than conceptual. He also expects his students to follow the forms. The surest way to get on Snape's wrong side is to violate a protocol (which sadly seems to be Harry's way of life).

Would these traits mitigate toward J rather than P?

Yes, Js are more directive than informative and tend to want things done their way. They tend to make rules for others to abide by. In short, Js are control freaks. When Js teach, they tend to dictate, whether it be concrete facts or abstract concepts.

I think Snape really is more of an INTJ because he's both innovative and methodical. Ns, especially Introverted Ns. also tend to be bookish and research oriented, and this is very true of Snape.

INTJs can also be rather loyal -- that's not exclusive to SJs. For example, I tend to do what I'm told by other people because it affords me more private time afterwards, or perhaps, I show loyalty to someone because I see a sort of strategic purpose.

INTJs are also quite snappy because, more than any other type, they tend to get impatient when they keep having to explain things.

Oh, and did I mention that Snape is really sarcastic? That's pretty INTJ-ish, for you.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs can also be rather loyal -- that's not exclusive to SJs. For example, I tend to do what I'm told by other people because it affords me more private time afterwards, or perhaps, I show loyalty to someone because I see a sort of strategic purpose.

This is not being loyal. It is making people think you're loyal to serve your own ends.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So how good are the Potter Books? I need something escapist to read. Something with six or seven books.

I'm still resisting, but I hear if you can put up with multiple instances of "Dumbledore's eyes twinkled," you're home free.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll probably give them a whirl. Before the DTs kick in over the weekend.

O

Oberon

Truly, reading Harry Potter while experiencing the DTs might be quite an experience.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll keep you posted in the event I don't make it to the bookstore in time.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I'm still resisting, but I hear if you can put up with multiple instances of "Dumbledore's eyes twinkled," you're home free.

Ivy, I resisted them until last week, at which time I started reading them one after another (because it's summertime, I can't do it during the year, why the hell not?), which has been pretty intense! While I have some qualms with her writing, I can definitely recommend the story as totally compelling and exciting. You really do watch the characters grow up (sometimes they're hard to like because they're... you know... hormonal, moody teenagers), and I think that's neat. And while I wouldn't call it High Fancypants Literature, I like some of the things it has made me think about.

Last summer I read the His Dark Materials trilogy, and at the time I'd only read the first Harry Potter book and was convinced that HP couldn't be better than HDM. I'm not sure about that now... they're different, though.

Edit: Oh, and Snape an INTP? Preposterous--what sort of INTP would sneer about a boy not thinking that rules applied to him? INTJ. I'm with the person who says that he's innovative but methodical.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Though he isn't all that deliberate - Voldemort is someone who is driven... Snape is just all clever and superior... and bitter/jealous (Which is why I think he is probably an N :D ). That makes him seem very INTP... I just haven't seen him show many other qualities - but the ending of the 6th book really threw me for a loop.

He could very well be an INTJ seeking the winning side and being a whole lot more clever than he seems. Or he could just be very passionate about something now.

Just to highjack the thread for a second. Potential spoiler, maybe...I don't know I'm bad at guessing what's a spoiler and what's not:

I seriously think he was saving his own skin and not really operating under anyone's loyalty at that moment. If you think about it, he's the spy for the Order of the Phoenix, so without him the order would lose a lot of useful information. And since he was under the Unbreakable Vow he made with Narcissa (a vow that would ensure his death if he broke it), he had little choice BUT to carry out Draco's mission (because if he didn't and just stood there, he would have been placed under suspicion and possibly have been found out). Can you tell I've been just itching to pitch this idea to someone? But yes, it threw me for a loop too when I read it.

Back on topic.

I'd say he's definitely more like an INTJ. He seems considerably orderly about his teaching methods and potion supplies. If you notice, in the movies his office is neat and all bottles are labelled on the shelves. In the books, he immediately notices with something is amiss in the advanced supply cabinets. However, his desk I think has been described as being a little messy in the books. Not only that, but as a student, he made notes on everything and systematically found ways to make processes as efficient and effective as possible, while managing to invent useful things.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ivy, I resisted them until last week, at which time I started reading them one after another (because it's summertime, I can't do it during the year, why the hell not?), which has been pretty intense! While I have some qualms with her writing, I can definitely recommend the story as totally compelling and exciting. You really do watch the characters grow up (sometimes they're hard to like because they're... you know... hormonal, moody teenagers), and I think that's neat. And while I wouldn't call it High Fancypants Literature, I like some of the things it has made me think about.

Well, you've pushed me over the edge. There are officially now enough people who I think share my taste in lit recommending them to me. I'll probably read them before I start working again in August. Seems like a good time to tackle some candy-lit. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say he's definitely more like an INTJ. He seems considerably orderly about his teaching methods and potion supplies. If you notice, in the movies his office is neat and all bottles are labelled on the shelves. In the books, he immediately notices with something is amiss in the advanced supply cabinets. However, his desk I think has been described as being a little messy in the books. Not only that, but as a student, he made notes on everything and systematically found ways to make processes as efficient and effective as possible, while managing to invent useful things.

And not only that, but NJs tend to only be orderly about the things that capture their interest -- as Intuitives, they're oblivious to the things in their environment that don't interest them. Whereas SJs need all-around attractive surroundings to be comfortable, NJs are less in tune with details unless they are meaningful to them.

O

Oberon

Okay, very good then...it appears we've typed Snape as INTJ. I can live with that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Slightly off topic, but related. I am convinced that Fred and George Weasley (the twins) are both ENTPs, as is Mr. Weasley.

I always thought of the Weasley family as rather Mercurial like astrological symbols Gemini and Virgo, both ruled by Mercury -- Mr. Weasley, Fred, and George are Gemini, while Mrs. Weasley and Ron are Virgos.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SLIGHT SPOILER:

I was just reading the synopsis of Snape on Wikipedia. I won't go into details, but I'm thinking that Snape is more INFJ.

SPOILER END:

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always seen Snape as an INTJ. He's too neat, organized, sarcastic, and snappish to be one of our absent-minded sort.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
So how good are the Potter Books? I need something escapist to read. Something with six or seven books.

The Harry Potter books are awesome. The writing isn't beautiful, like Oberon said, but the characters ARE very engaging and fascinating, and JKR is great at making a world you've never seen before or imagined. It's escapism at its best, if you can get past the rather boring writing style. She's not one for unique phrasings, but her imagination is astounding. I often wonder what type she is. ISFP, or INFJ? I'm leaning toward ISFP at the moment.

What type is Snape?

I see Snape as IXTP. His feeling side seems too underdeveloped for him to be an IXTJ. He's very good at Potions, which seems to suggest a lot of sensing ability, enough to detect the faint differences between potions. He could just be a type five on the enneagram, someone who seeks to understand and master something so that he can feel safe in this scary world. (SPOILER ALERT for book seven - highlight to read --->) And we did see a lot of bravery in Snape by the end, which seems to be the picture of type five: fear, but also bravery. I think that's what made him such an admirable character.

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rowling is an INFP or INFJ, just like most fantasy authors.

ISFPs are in tune with the world around them -- they're not engrossed in fantasy worlds like INFPs or INFJs. ISFPs would probably be into unique phrasing, since that's about more physical aesthetics.

An ISFP will more likely try something out and see how it looks (or sounds) and then decide whether or not to keep it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
yes, but he was also very neurotic..which be put into play when labeling him down..

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
Snape seems like a typical INTJ to me. He has a need to be in control of things, and is very methodical, which seem more J than P. Also I think his tertiary Fi functions comes to the surface in his dislike for Harry, it elicits some sort of feeling response that he often broods over.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ

Ahh... good ol' Headlight.

Actually, despite that, I'm thinking of checking the books out. I haven't read much fiction lately.