Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    In his teaching, Snape seems more procedural than conceptual. He also expects his students to follow the forms. The surest way to get on Snape's wrong side is to violate a protocol (which sadly seems to be Harry's way of life).

Would these traits mitigate toward J rather than P?
    Yes, Js are more directive than informative and tend to want things done their way. They tend to make rules for others to abide by. In short, Js are control freaks. When Js teach, they tend to dictate, whether it be concrete facts or abstract concepts.

I think Snape really is more of an INTJ because he's both innovative and methodical. Ns, especially Introverted Ns. also tend to be bookish and research oriented, and this is very true of Snape.

INTJs can also be rather loyal -- that's not exclusive to SJs. For example, I tend to do what I'm told by other people because it affords me more private time afterwards, or perhaps, I show loyalty to someone because I see a sort of strategic purpose.

INTJs are also quite snappy because, more than any other type, they tend to get impatient when they keep having to explain things.

Oh, and did I mention that Snape is really sarcastic? That's pretty INTJ-ish, for you.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    INTJs can also be rather loyal -- that's not exclusive to SJs. For example, I tend to do what I'm told by other people because it affords me more private time afterwards, or perhaps, I show loyalty to someone because I see a sort of strategic purpose.
    This is not being loyal. It is making people think you're loyal to serve your own ends.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    So how good are the Potter Books? I need something escapist to read. Something with six or seven books.
    I'm still resisting, but I hear if you can put up with multiple instances of "Dumbledore's eyes twinkled," you're home free.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll probably give them a whirl. Before the DTs kick in over the weekend.

Really.

Oberon

Truly, reading Harry Potter while experiencing the DTs might be quite an experience.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll keep you posted in the event I don't make it to the bookstore in time.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm still resisting, but I hear if you can put up with multiple instances of "Dumbledore's eyes twinkled," you're home free.
    Ivy, I resisted them until last week, at which time I started reading them one after another (because it's summertime, I can't do it during the year, why the hell not?), which has been pretty intense! While I have some qualms with her writing, I can definitely recommend the story as totally compelling and exciting. You really do watch the characters grow up (sometimes they're hard to like because they're... you know... hormonal, moody teenagers), and I think that's neat. And while I wouldn't call it High Fancypants Literature, I like some of the things it has made me think about.

Last summer I read the His Dark Materials trilogy, and at the time I'd only read the first Harry Potter book and was convinced that HP couldn't be better than HDM. I'm not sure about that now... they're different, though.

Edit: Oh, and Snape an INTP? Preposterous--what sort of INTP would sneer about a boy not thinking that rules applied to him? INTJ. I'm with the person who says that he's innovative but methodical.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Though he isn't all that deliberate - Voldemort is someone who is driven... Snape is just all clever and superior... and bitter/jealous (Which is why I think he is probably an N ). That makes him seem very INTP... I just haven't seen him show many other qualities - but the ending of the 6th book really threw me for a loop.

He could very well be an INTJ seeking the winning side and being a whole lot more clever than he seems. Or he could just be very passionate about something now.
    Just to highjack the thread for a second. Potential spoiler, maybe...I don't know I'm bad at guessing what's a spoiler and what's not:

I seriously think he was saving his own skin and not really operating under anyone's loyalty at that moment. If you think about it, he's the spy for the Order of the Phoenix, so without him the order would lose a lot of useful information. And since he was under the Unbreakable Vow he made with Narcissa (a vow that would ensure his death if he broke it), he had little choice BUT to carry out Draco's mission (because if he didn't and just stood there, he would have been placed under suspicion and possibly have been found out). Can you tell I've been just itching to pitch this idea to someone? But yes, it threw me for a loop too when I read it.

Back on topic.

I'd say he's definitely more like an INTJ. He seems considerably orderly about his teaching methods and potion supplies. If you notice, in the movies his office is neat and all bottles are labelled on the shelves. In the books, he immediately notices with something is amiss in the advanced supply cabinets. However, his desk I think has been described as being a little messy in the books. Not only that, but as a student, he made notes on everything and systematically found ways to make processes as efficient and effective as possible, while managing to invent useful things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Ivy, I resisted them until last week, at which time I started reading them one after another (because it's summertime, I can't do it during the year, why the hell not?), which has been pretty intense! While I have some qualms with her writing, I can definitely recommend the story as totally compelling and exciting. You really do watch the characters grow up (sometimes they're hard to like because they're... you know... hormonal, moody teenagers), and I think that's neat. And while I wouldn't call it High Fancypants Literature, I like some of the things it has made me think about.
    Well, you've pushed me over the edge. There are officially now enough people who I think share my taste in lit recommending them to me. I'll probably read them before I start working again in August. Seems like a good time to tackle some candy-lit.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    I'd say he's definitely more like an INTJ. He seems considerably orderly about his teaching methods and potion supplies. If you notice, in the movies his office is neat and all bottles are labelled on the shelves. In the books, he immediately notices with something is amiss in the advanced supply cabinets. However, his desk I think has been described as being a little messy in the books. Not only that, but as a student, he made notes on everything and systematically found ways to make processes as efficient and effective as possible, while managing to invent useful things.
    And not only that, but NJs tend to only be orderly about the things that capture their interest -- as Intuitives, they're oblivious to the things in their environment that don't interest them. Whereas SJs need all-around attractive surroundings to be comfortable, NJs are less in tune with details unless they are meaningful to them.