• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Anybody want to give a guess on the characters from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney?

My first guess for Nick would be ENFP.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I'll give it a shot.

Phoenix: EXFP
Miles: INTJ
Mia: XXXJ
Godot: EXTP
Trucy: EXFP
Apollo: XXFJ
Maya: EXFP
Francziska (Don't know how to spell that): IXTJ. Probably an N, too.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Phoenix: ENfP
Maya: EnFP
Miles: IsTJ
Von Karma: EsTJ
Franziska: ESTJ
Mia: ENTJ
Larry: ESFP
Godot: EnTP
Apollo: INFp
Trucy: ENFP
Klavier: ENFJ
Kristoph: INTJ

The problem with typing the PW characters is that, since all lawyers and prosecutors seem that awesome at their job, they would seem by default to be strong Ns (seeing patterns and correlations etc).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From what I gather:

Phoenix: ENxP
Mia: ENTJ
Maya: ENFP
Miles: ESTJ
Gumshoe: ESFP
Judge: ISTJ

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Nah, I'd type Maya as an ESFP. The judge... is probably an ESFJ, and Edgeworth would be IxTJ

*is pretty sure Ath's guesses are blind*

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
If I may ressurrect this thread... as a fanboy, of course. :newwink:

Here are some of my guesses:

Phoenix Wright - ENFx, 6w7 (I'm unsure... Nick seems kind of neurotic and cautious - at least outside the courtroom - to be an ENFP...)
Mia Fey - xNFJ, 1w2 (Her advice seems more Fe-ish than Te-ish, and she did a lot of stuff - especially in her early days - based on her own feelings about things)
Maya Fey - ExFP, 7(w8?) (she could be an ESFP, I think)
Miles Edgeworth - ISTJ, 1w9 (his way of thinking is quite linear and thorough, and his values resemble typical SJ ones)
Larry Butz - ESFP, 7w6
Winston Payne - xSTJ, 6w5
The Judge - ESxJ, 1w2? (Has the "goofy" tert Ne thing going on, IMO - I'm familiar with it)
April May - xSFP, 9w8?
Redd White - ESTJ, 3w2 or 8w7?
Marvin Grossberg - ISFJ?, 6w7?
Wendy Oldbag - ESxJ?, either an 8w7 moving toward 2 or a 2 moving toward 8
Dee Vasquez - IxTJ, 8w9?
Will Powers - ISFJ?, 9w1?
Dick Gumshoe - ESFJ, 6w7
Manfred von Karma - ESTJ, 1w2
Lotta Hart - ESFP?, 7w8
Lana Skye - IxTJ, 1w2 or maybe 6w5
Ema Skye - INTP?, 5w6?
Damon Gant - ENFJ or ENTP, 8w9
Jake Marshall - ISTP?, 8w9
Mike Meekins - xSFJ, 6w7

Maggey Byrde - ISFJ?, 6w7 (and with good reason, poor girl)
Franziska von Karma - ESTJ, 8w7 or maybe 3w4
Morgan Fey - ISFJ, 2w3
Pearl Fey - ExFJ, 2w1?
Ini Miney - ISFP, 9w1?
Regina Berry - IxFP, 9w8?
Acro - ISFP, 9w1?
Max Galactica - ESFJ?, 3w2
Matt Engarde - ESTP, 3w2?
Adrian Andrews - ISFJ, 6w5
Shelly de Killer - ISTJ, 1w9

Dahlia Hawthorne - IxFP, 9w8
Ron DeLite - INFP?, 6w7
Desireé DeLite - ESFP, 7w8
Luke Atmey - ENTP, 3w4
Jean Armstrong - ISFP, 9w8?
Furio Tigre - ESTP, 8w7
Victor Kudo - ESTJ, 1w2?
Viola Cadaverini - ISFJ?, 9w8
Godot - ExTP?, 6w5?
Terry Fawles - ESFJ?, 6w7
Sister Bikini - ESFJ, 2w3
Sister Iris - ISFJ, 9w1?
Elise Deauxnim - INFJ, 9w1?

Apollo Justice - INFP seems plausible, though I'm quite clueless about his enneatype
Trucy Wright - INFP?, 9w8?
Kristoph Gavin - IxTJ, 3w4
Klavier Gavin - ENFJ, 3w2
Wocky Kitaki - ESTP, 6w7 or 7w6
Plum Kitaki - xSFJ, 2w3
Guy Eldoon - ESTJ?, 6w5
Wesley Stickler - INTP?, 5(w4?)
Alita Tiala - ISFJ, 2w3?
Lamiroir - ISFP, 9w1?
Valant Gramarye - ISFP?, 3w2?
Daryan Crescend - ExTJ, 8w7
Vera Misham - INFP?, 5w4
Drew Misham - ISTJ?, 5w6
Spark Brushel - ENTP?, 7w6?

Jacques Portsman - ExTP, 3w2
Rhoda Teneiro - ISFJ, 6w7?
Cammy Meele - ISFP, 9w8
Zinc Lablanc - ESTJ, 6w5?
Shi-Long Lang - ESTJ (maybe ESFJ), 6w7 (very much counterphobic)
Kay Faraday - ENFP, 7w8?
Ernest Amano - ISFJ, 9w8?
Lance Amano - INFJ?, 6w5?
Lauren Paups - ISFJ, 6w7?
Tyrell Badd - ISTJ, 6w5
Calisto Yew - ISTP, 7w8?
Byrne Faraday - xNFJ?, 1w2 or 6w5
Colias Palaeno - xNFJ?, 9w1 or 3w2
Quercus Alba - xNTJ, 8w9

Feel free to ask any questions! :biggrin:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It's based on a civil law system. As a result, the characters are all likely xxTJs of some sort, mostly xSTJs. ESPECIALLY the smart ones.

xNxPs would find the hard structure and rules too stifling (this is not a system you go in to change the world - PW cares about doing a good job more than he does about his clients). xxFJs would find the whole process utterly boring. xSxPs couldn't stand losing as often as defense lawyers do in those systems.

If you want to try and type people, you've got to look at what the system they are integrated in demands.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
It's based on a civil law system. As a result, the characters are all likely xxTJs of some sort, mostly xSTJs. ESPECIALLY the smart ones.

xNxPs would find the hard structure and rules too stifling (this is not a system you go in to change the world - PW cares about doing a good job more than he does about his clients). xxFJs would find the whole process utterly boring. xSxPs couldn't stand losing as often as defense lawyers do in those systems.

I'd say Phoenix does care about his clients - he understands what it is to be the underdog far too well. As for the others, you have some pretty good points, but I'd say law enforcement is by no means limited to SJs; I've seen Atticus Finch, one of the most famous fictional lawyers, typed as an INFJ. The justice system in the games is pretty draconian, which is why Phoenix wants to change it, but he seems to "beat the system" pretty well.

If you want to try and type people, you've got to look at what the system they are integrated in demands.

Yes, I did try to do that, which is why I also took into consideration Phoenix's personality outside of court when casting doubt on his ENFP typing. If I made a crass mistake, I'd appreciate if you pointed it out more specifically. :)

(Also, I love how the series has SJ characters who are not just conformistic idiots. We need more of those to showcase the importance of Guardians.)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'd say Phoenix does care about his clients - he understands what it is to be the underdog far too well. As for the others, you have some pretty good points, but I'd say law enforcement is by no means limited to SJs; I've seen Atticus Finch, one of the most famous fictional lawyers, typed as an INFJ. The justice system in the games is pretty draconian, which is why Phoenix wants to change it, but he seems to "beat the system" pretty well.

If you want to type both of them, they're INTJs with very well-developed Tert Fi. That's why they care about their clients - because it's unfair for them not to.

It's not about law enforcement, it's that the legal system of Japan and most civil law countries is specifically designed to suppress any creativity in legal interpretation. That's why the trials in the games are about whether facts are true or not - it's the determination of facts that determines what the relevant portion of the Criminal Code is to be applied. They don't care one bit whether it's "right" to convict the person or not; they care that the system works correctly. If you want to have these high-minded debates, your role is either in academia or in the legislature, in these systems.

Phoenix wants to beat the system because he thinks he can do it more fairly than what currently exists (that's the Ni and Fi talking). He's good at it, because he can see the evidentiary setup from a perspective that's different than what's immediately apparent, and can present the facts in a way that proves that perspective (Ni-Te). It's also a nice introduction to how our type stereotypes may often be turned on their head - everything about the way PW operates screams INTJ, and yet, most people wouldn't see it because of his appearance, and because people don't think INTJs can be animated and sociable. That's absolutely untrue.

Yes, I did try to do that, which is why I also took into consideration Phoenix's personality outside of court when casting doubt on his ENFP typing. If I made a crass mistake, I'd appreciate if you pointed it out more specifically. :)

(Also, I love how the series has SJ characters who are not just conformistic idiots. We need more of those to showcase the importance of Guardians.)

One of the silliest things the translation of the series did was move the setting of the game to Los Angeles. It makes no sense, because we in the United States conceive of law in an entirely different way than they do in Japan. When we're looking at the outside characterization, we're making the assumption that they're operating under a common law perspective - that they're trying to come up with unique arguments, or the that support why their side is correct. This is not what goes on in Ace Attorney at all. The outside-the-courtroom activity is nothing but investigation and compilation of facts. Because of this discrepancy, we interpret things that PW does in a way that does not correspond with why he would be doing it.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm not sure I understand everyting you say, onemoretime ('cuz you're much brainier than I am ;)), but aren't you fixating a little too much on the system, as opposed to the people working on it? Everyone can develop a little Te, which goes a long way when battling in court, but I don't think that makes every lawyer in the game a TJ.

Or, I could be rambling like a stoned orangutan in front of a typewriter. You choose! :newwink:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'm not sure I understand everyting you say, onemoretime ('cuz you're much brainier than I am ;)), but aren't you fixating a little too much on the system, as opposed to the people working on it? Everyone can develop a little Te, which goes a long way when battling in court, but I don't think that makes every lawyer in the game a TJ.

Or, I could be rambling like a stoned orangutan in front of a typewriter. You choose! :newwink:

You have to look at the system, because type is about how a person solves problems. If the system doesn't allow for a certain style of problem-solving, then people who tend toward that style will not be present within that system. Systems are self-selecting, after all - that's what makes them systematic.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
You have to look at the system, because type is about how a person solves problems. If the system doesn't allow for a certain style of problem-solving, then people who tend toward that style will not be present within that system. Systems are self-selecting, after all - that's what makes them systematic.

OK, but how does that relate to type? Are you saying all the lawyer characters are TJs? Or that they have well-developed Te? Elaborate, please, I'm curious! :drool:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
OK, but how does that relate to type? Are you saying all the lawyer characters are TJs? Or that they have well-developed Te? Elaborate, please, I'm curious! :drool:

They necessarily have developed Te, and are most likely TJs, most being xSTJs. Now, the argument could be made that Phoenix is an ENFP with a strong tertiary, but that ignores his generally introverted personality (he'd rather be researching than hobnobbing).

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Here goes nothin'. I just beat the second case on the second game today. Mind = Blown. I love this series!

Phoenix Wright - eNFP
Mia Fey - ENtJ
Maya Fey - ESFP
Miles Edgeworth - ISTJ
Larry Buttz - ESFP
Judge - ESFJ
Dick Gumshoe - IsFP
Manfred von Karma - eSTJ
Franziska von Karma - iSTJ
Wendy Oldbag - ESXJ
Lotta Hart - ESFP
Pearl Fey - EnFJ

Last edited:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm kinda curious... Why do you guys believe Mia is an ENTJ? I don't know any ENTJs personally, but her approach to stuff and her advice seem pretty personal... She may be forceful, but many ENFJs are - MLK is a good real-life example. Her actions as a rookie in Trials and Tribulations also seem pretty F-ish, like helping a death row inmate after seeing the look in his puppy-dog eyes...

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok I haven't played the game for long or much, but I say

Phoenix - ENTP
Maya - ISFJ/P or INFJ sorta divided on this, but those are the 3 I think she is, I mean I haven't played this game much as I said, but she seems like that.
Mia - ENF/T J
Larry ESFJ/p

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
If Gyakuten Kenji 2 ever gets translated, I'm gonna give my two cents on the characters' types. From the small sneak peeks, though, I'm going with...

Shikigari - ISFJ 6w7
Mikagami - IxTJ 1w9
Yumihiko - ESTJ? 6w5
Naitou - ISTP 8w7
Teikun - ExTJ 8w9

Cross your fingers for Capcom to translate it! :D

Also, does anyone have a hunch on Apollo's E-Type? :thinking:

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Phoenix - ENTP
Maya - ENFP She starts of rather introverted like, but once she becomes more opened up to phoenix she does act rather ENFP like
Mia - ENTJ
Ema - INFP
Angel Starr - Rather ENFJ like
Cody or what ever that kid's name was - EXXX

Jurbil

From Dual Destinies:

Phoenix - ENFP (of course)
Apollo - INFP
Athena - ENFP
Juniper Woods - ISFJ
Gaspen Payne - ESTJ
Ted Tonate - INTP