User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: Twilight?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I dislike and find Twilight boring too. It's hardly boring and there's no common sense. The only one value that movie defend is actually chastity. The main male character is a vampire just to make more acceptable the idea that Bella and Edward must'nt let express their instincts and fuck together, even if we actually don't really understand why. Edward is elsewhere the archetype of the conformist nice guy, and he's presented like a model. The success of this film would'nt probably be possible without the "moral values" come back and 8 years of bushism. But I can understand that sentimental girls like this.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I dislike and find Twilight boring too. It's hardly boring and there's no common sense. The only one value that movie defend is actually chastity. The main male character is a vampire just to make more acceptable the idea that Bella and Edward must'nt let express their instincts and fuck together, even if we actually don't really understand why. Edward is elsewhere the archetype of the conformist nice guy, and he's presented like a model. The success of this film would'nt probably be possible without the "moral values" come back and 8 years of bushism. But I can understand that sentimental girls like this.
    What are blabbering on about?

Edward: GHEY
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    CAT

Uhm... I admit I find the endless effort to type such untypable characters quite amusing, but really, Bella and Edward can't be typed, because their characterization is close to zero.

We know next to nothing about Bella and Edward's personality, because all their actions and thoughts revolve about their hormone-driven infatuation; apart from that, their inner life is non-descript. Let's face it: even though the autor might be quite skilled at describing such a hormone-driven infatuation and presenting it as "fatal love", and thus fulfilling dreams of all girls who also think that infatuation = fatal love, she absolutely sucks at characterization. She's not even able to create proper "stereotypes" (well, maybe she sometimes succeeds at least in this when it comes to secondary characters, but definitely not the main couple), let alone types. My personal guess it that she initially wanted to make Bella an INFP (stereotypical "strange, dreamy heroine") and Edward an INTJ (the "Mr Darcy" romantic stereotype), but she utterly failed at both.

Therefore, if someone manages to type them, they can be sure that their own imagination played a bigger role in it than the autor's skills. (As an example, I have an ENFP friend who identifies with Bella to a T; the friend is currently infatuated with an ESFP, and she without any doubt thinks that he's very similar to Edward.) And the fact that people in this thread will never be able to come to a consensus about them is a good enough proof for that.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    Uhm... I admit I find the endless effort to type such untypable characters quite amusing, but really, Bella and Edward can't be typed, because their characterization is close to zero.

We know next to nothing about Bella and Edward's personality, because all their actions and thoughts revolve about their hormone-driven infatuation; apart from that, their inner life is non-descript. Let's face it: even though the autor might be quite skilled at describing such a hormone-driven infatuation and presenting it as "fatal love", and thus fulfilling dreams of all girls who also think that infatuation = fatal love, she absolutely sucks at characterization. She's not even able to create proper "stereotypes" (well, maybe she sometimes succeeds at least in this when it comes to secondary characters, but definitely not the main couple), let alone types. My personal guess it that she initially wanted to make Bella an INFP (stereotypical "strange, dreamy heroine") and Edward an INTJ (the "Mr Darcy" romantic stereotype), but she utterly failed at both.

Therefore, if someone manages to type them, they can be sure that their own imagination played a bigger role in it than the autor's skills. (As an example, I have an ENFP friend who identifies with Bella to a T; the friend is currently infatuated with an ESFP, and she without any doubt thinks that he's very similar to Edward.) And the fact that people in this thread will never be able to come to a consensus about them is a good enough proof for that.
    Agreed to an extent. An XNFP-INTJ FAIL!

By the way, is this the same ENFP friend you were referring to in the thread I made? If so, I think she and I are twins.

She tried to make P & P combined with fantasy and vampire elements, and rather forgot the characterization....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

She tried to make P & P combined with fantasy and vampire elements, and rather forgot the characterization....
    Agreed. I admit I find it annoying also because I sometimes try to write "P&P combined with fantasy elements" stories as well, but I always pay a lot of attention to characterization, so when I see that someone slacked off and threw it away completely makes me mad. It could have been done so much better; every freaking anime with 5,5 fans has more believable characters than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist
    By the way, is this the same ENFP friend you were referring to in the thread I made? If so, I think she and I are twins.
    No, not really (the girl I directly referred to there actually hates Twilight), but your description kind of reminded me of the ENFP I referred to here as well. Actually, it reminded me of her quite a lot (she is very talented in languages, she always groans aloud when someone in class says something idiotic, she can't concentrate if she's not interested...), but she overall seems less "intellectual" to me and more of a "natural disaster" than you and she definitely doesn't have such strong values. But if you had more similar upbringing, you might have ended up being very, very similar people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I can deal with ENFP's in small doses. INFP's inability to touch reality is what bugs me more.

I despised Bella.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves,
    who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad
    memories and allow themselves to be provoked this
    easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance."
    -Severus Snape

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post

I agree that edward was probably supposed to be some sort of NT.
    What wit hthe memorizing of pi and all that crap.
    I still cant believe that girls eat these books/movies up like this,
    movies like this that were aimed at guys (species, bloodrayne ect)
    stop being blockbusters a long time ago. That is because men discovered somthing called "Google Images" apparently women didnt get the memo.

Seriously just type in "Hot idian guy shirtless" I just saved you 8 bucks at the theater ladies
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    eNFP

Am I really responding to something with this topic? Rhetorical, this is about to happen. Edward's an INTJ. Being a thinking type doesn't denature your ability to fall in love. An INTJ can fall in love and not be romantic about it at first, as you see in the beginning. It takes him a while to get used to being intimate with her, and he shows the characteristic discomfort (hilarious if you know an INTJ) when showing feelings like an INTJ. Especially before she grows on him. A little obsessive with the 'I stare at you at night' thing (Okay, whoever thought that was romantic is damn crazy, way to fuel my paranoia) but INTJ's can be a heck load more obsessive than that with other things. Also. Why does he like that meek, scared, self-esteem deprived, unintelligent girl? He is a thinking type. Think about this: Everyone else? He knows what they think already. He gains nothing, learns nothing more than he already knows by talking to them. They are uninteresting, their usefulness is next to none. Especially because he's too morally righteous to eat the suckers. What does he gain from that girl? His curiosity is not instantly sated, because he doesn't know every damn thing she's about to say. Obvious. So by talking to her, his learning and growth of intellect is supplemented. INTJ with a big, giant, hokey love crush. We know what you are Edward. Go eat your damn heart out.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    A little obsessive with the 'I stare at you at night' thing (Okay, whoever thought that was romantic is damn crazy, way to fuel my paranoia) but INTJ's can be a heck load more obsessive than that with other things.
    That was one of the many laugh out loud moments in these films.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    eNFP

Yeah, I'd probably throw that into the amateur romantic comedy pile; heavy on the comedy. If I can say one thing about the movie, it made me laugh. Although yes, they're going to get me to see new moon for one reason, and one reason only. And it's that son of a werewolf with his dark hair, tan skin.