12 Last

Thread: Hermann Hesse

Default Hermann Hesse

Hermann Hesse, author of Siddhartha

I was thinking INFP

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

"Und an diesen Tag, wo die Bürger glaubten es zu wissen und der Denkende erkannte, es sei anders; an diesem Tag kaufte ich Äpfel und es waren die wundervollsten Äpfel, die ich jemals kaufen würde in meinem Leben"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

INFP would be my guess too.
    NF for sure...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

definitely INFsomething. i would guess J because of the linear nature of his story-telling, but who knows?

MBTI
    XNXP

I'm surprised by how many people seem more interested in guessing the type of individuals versus discussing the ideas that they espoused. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...man-hesse.html
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I'm surprised by how many people seem more interested in guessing the type of individuals versus discussing the ideas that they espoused. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...man-hesse.html
    I am surprised at how easily you make this assumption. This is an MBTI forum, though. But if you feel like discussing his ideas and the pros and cons of Bildungsromans, please go ahead
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    I am surprised at how easily you make this assumption. This is an MBTI forum, though. But if you feel like discussing his ideas and the pros and cons of Bildungsromans, please go ahead
    My "assumption" isn't based on just seeing this one thread. I'm not saying that discussing the types of artists/actors etc. breaks any formal or informal rules or anything. I just see all these threads naming celebrities and guessing their type. And that's it. "George Clooney. What type ? Britney ? What type ? "

My original thoughts about what an "MBTI forum" is was that it was someplace that people who consider themselves of certain types can gather online, and there have a better chance of meeting people who click with them - no matter what subject they discuss. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't discuss MBTI, but that it is just one of a million subjects that can be engaging. We could discuss Barack Obama's politics ( as we have ) or we could limit ourselves to just asking what type do people think he is. Another anology - just because I'm a dentist at a dentist convention, doesn't mean that what I discuss with my fellow dentists is just drills and molars etc.

If I was going to discuss "Popular culture and type", for example, I might also wonder out loud about what types of audience members were likely to enjoy that very thing - "popular culture" - more, versus only discussing the pop culture figures themselves. Or I might discuss what the popular image of MBTI was, versus the more scholarly details of it. But my interest in it only really falls as deep as knowing that I'm likely a so and so type ( originally pegged as INTP but there have been some questions ) and so coming and talking initially to people of that type, and later broadening it out.

Discussing nothing but MBTI issues is certainly something one can do if they choose to, but it is kind of like discussing new ways to tune up one's computer all of the time, but never actually using it.
    Last edited by kuranes; 11-26-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INFP

It would be interesting to consider how Hesse's type relates to his characters. I always got the sense that his characters reflected aspects of his own personality. Also, he was familiar with Jungian psychology and so quite likely knew about the functions. He did like to play around with ideas in his writings and intentionally implemented Jung's ideas in at least one of his novels.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    I always got the sense that his characters reflected aspects of his own personality. Also, he was familiar with Jungian psychology and so quite likely knew about the functions. He did like to play around with ideas in his writings and intentionally implemented Jung's ideas in at least one of his novels.
    I think the protagonists often were expressing thoughts of his own, but some of the rest of the cast could be based on others. A person in "The Journey to the East" is supposedly based on painter Paul Klee.

For some reason I often think of John Fowles book "The Magus" when I think of the scenes with the horn player in "Steppenwolf".

The concept of "Abraxas" described in Demian would seem informed by the Jungian ( such as "shadow" ) too, if not completely inspired by that.