User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Hermann Hesse

MBTI
    INFP

When I said characters I had specifically his protagonists in mind.

Ya know, its been a while since I've read Hesse. I'm trying to remember which books of his I've read. I first read Siddhartha, and later I read Steppenwolf and The Glass Bead Game. I read some of his other books, but I can't recall what they were now. I might've read Demian. I'm pretty sure I never read The Journey to the East.

I've seen some interesting adaptations of his novels. Steppenwolf was made into a decent movie. Siddhartha was filmed in India, but you could tell that the conservativism of India couldn't quite do respect to the story. Even so, if you enjoyed Siddhartha the book, its worthwhile watching the film version. Actually, I'd recommend a different "version" of Siddhartha. It was also translated as a spaghetti western which is very amusing.

As for the topic at hand, I find it interesting that Jung and Hesse knew eachother. Hesse, without my knowing it at the time, was my introduction to Jung's ideas. I've read that Hesse particularly focused on the typological distinction of Introversiona and Extraversion, and I can see that in some of his works.

I would try to say more, but its just been too long since I've read Hesse.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    I've seen some interesting adaptations of his novels. Steppenwolf was made into a decent movie. Siddhartha was filmed in India, but you could tell that the conservativism of India couldn't quite do respect to the story. Even so, if you enjoyed Siddhartha the book, its worthwhile watching the film version. Actually, I'd recommend a different "version" of Siddhartha. It was also translated as a spaghetti western which is very amusing.
    Hmmm. I'll look for the "straight" one.

If you're referring to "El Topo", your coolness factor just went up a few notches. Actually, when I finally saw it again, after 20 years since the midnight movies of my college years, it had become a bit tarnished, but then again..... the90's version was a shitty bootleg. Supposedly a high quality DVD issue finally has come out...or will be issued soon....
    Alejandro Jodorowsky
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm sorry to lessen my coolness factor, but I don't think I've ever seen El Topo... I never had that big of a cool factor anyways and so no great loss. I did a quick search about it and I'd think I would remember if I had seen it. A strange looking movie. I might enjoy it, but from watching a video excerpt of the movie its easy to see how dated it is... not that being dated is always bad.

I was about to say that I probably hadn't heard of the movie because it was made 5 years before I was born. However, I was looking at some info about the movie I was referring to and it was made about the same time. The movie I'm talking about is Zachariah. I only happened across it because my library had a copy of it.

Looking at various reviews, I noticed that El Topo and Zachariah get compared quite a bit.

To get back on topic, Siddhartha which Zachariah takes its inspiration from is the one book of Hesse's that has stuck in my mind the most. I read it in highschool and it was a major influence. Like some of his other novels, Hesse does like to contrast different kinds of people. What might you think are the types of those two characters? I've never been big on typing characters, but it might work better with a writer like Hesse who was influenced by Jung in a very direct way.

Have you ever read any biographies about Hesse? I've never read much about Hesse. I think I saw a book about the relationship between Jung and Hesse which would likely be quite interesting.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i get introverted feeling more than extraverted feeling. infp. plus two of my infp friends have read all his books. i petered out on them when i realized they all felt the same. until the glass bead game, which had too much Si for an infj like me to handle. infp.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post

Have you ever read any biographies about Hesse? I've never read much about Hesse. I think I saw a book about the relationship between Jung and Hesse which would likely be quite interesting.
    I read a little. The only thing I remember from it all is that Hesse originally wanted to be a painter, and being a writer was at least a second choice, if not on an even lower rung of the ladder. I vaguely recall reading something about Jung and Hesse, but I can't recall what or where. Hmmm. Maybe Victor or Wildcat wrote something on it....The artist Paul Klee is embodied in one of the characters Hesse creates as a "fellow traveler" on the bus in his novel "The Journey to the East".
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.