• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing Children

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
I'm sure this thread has been done before so please point me to it if it has.

My question is, at what age can you effectively and accurately type a child? I have 2 children, ages 4 and 5. Is that too young?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

My question is, at what age can you effectively and accurately type a child? I have 2 children, ages 4 and 5. Is that too young?
Speaking as someone with almost no experience with kids since I was one myself...

I would personally wait until characteristics became obvious on their own, and not exactly try to type them.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
They do have what I feel to be very consistant and obvious characteristics.....I guess this question could be better answered by someone who's children are older.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The general belief, I think, in MBTI is that children develop their primary functions first. The others tend to fill in later. Others think that you tell orientation first, but the actual preference doesn't emerge first (ie: x--x).

In my opinion, what you can tell mostly only the I/E, and any strong existing preference that is unlikely to change. In reality, I suspect that these things are influenced by environment, so the majority can show shifts in and out as they grow up. (Lets face it, teenagers do not behave quite the same as "normal" humans :D ).

The answer, however, is "Yes, it is too young to be confident in any typing". Doesn't mean you can't gain from doing it, but don't assume it is true or will remain the same.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

According to Barron and Tieger in Nurture by Nature, "For most children, all four of their preferences are apparent and identifiable by about age 3 or 4. In some cases, whole types are clear by age two. With still other children, it takes more time - perhaps until about age 5 or 6 before their parents are really sure."

That said, I suggest parents keep an open mind since most children develop their dominant function around age 6 and their auxiliary function around age 12. This is something Barron and Tieger point out in another book, Do What You Are.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
The general belief, I think, in MBTI is that children develop their primary functions first. The others tend to fill in later. Others think that you tell orientation first, but the actual preference doesn't emerge first (ie: x--x).

In my opinion, what you can tell mostly only the I/E, and any strong existing preference that is unlikely to change. In reality, I suspect that these things are influenced by environment, so the majority can show shifts in and out as they grow up. (Lets face it, teenagers do not behave quite the same as "normal" humans :D ).

The answer, however, is "Yes, it is too young to be confident in any typing". Doesn't mean you can't gain from doing it, but don't assume it is true or will remain the same.

Agreed, and yes, most teens are mutants ;)

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
According to Barron and Tieger in Nurture by Nature, "For most children, all four of their preferences are apparent and identifiable by about age 3 or 4. In some cases, whole types are clear by age two. With still other children, it takes more time - perhaps until about age 5 or 6 before their parents are really sure."

That said, I suggest parents keep an open mind since most children develop their dominant function around age 6 and their auxiliary function around age 12. This is something Barron and Tieger point out in another book, Do What You Are.

Thank for that info..I'll do some more digging!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Looking back at my kids, now 10, 12, 13, and 15 there are some traits that have been pretty consistent since they were very small. Other traits have changed and I don't think there is a way to predict which traits are which.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was reading some of the things my brother and I did and said as children, and I would say that there were very evident indicators of our personalities by the times we were about two. He was using words like prefer, destitute and interdigitate by the age of 22 months and I was formulating very lucid arguments and having emotionless responses to punishment by the age of two. When we started school both went through odd patches where our personalities deviated, he became an INFP and I was an INxP. We were both very imaginative and overly sensitive. During the middle years of high school (ages 15-16) we returned to the personalities we had as small children. He is an INTP and I am an ENTJ.

Has this happened with anyone else?

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
There is some research on this topic. Here's a link for typing children. I think it is pretty accurate. Most children have a disposition from an early age of EJ, EP, IJ, and IP. This intuitively makes sense to me because I remember my ENFJ friend growing up trying to take charge, while I was quiet and just wanted to play with toys by myself.

If you look at Piaget's Theory of cognitive development our psyche is in the fully operational stage around puberty, which is around the age of twelve. According to our modern definition of intuition, it is not fully formed until then.

I have my doubts whether it is so straightforward that the first cognitive process develops first and the second remains in a sort of limbo phase. It's probably a bit more ephemeral than that.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
the 'nurture by nature' book INTJ Mom suggested is very good
I recognised mine were both extroverts from an early age - neither liked playing on their own and were both very happy in company - now they both have armies of friends and love noise and bustle!
the rest took longer to make out - our youngest is 11 -oldest 15 and its very clear now esfj (off shopping today with about 10 friends then to the cinema then bringing them back to eat and play music very loudly!)and estp (today is football, wrestle with dog, bike ride with gang of mates 'look mum no hands!)
Ive often thought it fascinating that your children's personalities can be so diffrent to their parents (infp/istp) I love watching them develop.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bougal: It happened to me, too. I became introverted as hell when I was 13-14 years old. Sort of like an INTP. Shadow type-thing I believe. Depression might have triggered it.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I would agree that the primary function is what you should look out for first, but even E/I can be confusing based on the individual. My dad has said that I was always reserved from an early age while my brother was more outgoing. I of course am ENTP, while my brother is ISFP.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I've just read a book by Tieger on type and children and was surprised to find how well I fitted the description for 4 year old INTP's they give...
However, I've used MBTI for many years now and still find it extremely hard to type my own 4 year old daughter...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The link above is a good resource

Some children are easier to type than others and because a lot of research shows it's developmental, you might be sure on some preferences but not on all. Smart parents use it as a hypothesis for guiding the natural development of a child and for tailoring encouragement and discipline (sending my I son and E daughter to their rooms for time out was not equal punishment!!)

The Tieger book is good but LifeTypes by Hirsh and Kummerow...the opening paragraphs of each type description are of childhood, based on stories from adults who know their types and looked back on defining moments. Both my children very much match the descriptions given there and, as young adults now, have verified their types. I had them take the children's indicator (MMTIC) when they were in elementary school and they articulately talked through what did and didn't describe them. They revisited it with me many years later. Meanwhile we used the hypotheses to help an INFP and ENTJ navigate the very ISTJ world of their high school. Kept us from thinking our son was lazy or learning disabled or God knows what. He's very happy in college now. :happy0065:

Also, The Developing Child by Murphy has a ton of information on what type looks like in children and even better, what to do as a parent or what works in school.

Last edited:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno, my "ENFP" ness was pretty obvious/apparent from a young age.

By five or six one would have been able to accurately assess my personality.

If anything, I displayed more charactersitically ENFP traits when I was younger, than I do now.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My temperament was pretty consistent with the Rationals description, according to my mother. I didn't talk until a later age than usual and I never liked being held. (Some will say autistic, others will say temperament.)

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I dunno, my "ENFP" ness was pretty obvious/apparent from a young age.

By five or six one would have been able to accurately assess my personality.

If anything, I displayed more charactersitically ENFP traits when I was younger, than I do now.

I was 99% sure on my son but for my daughter, the ETJ was obvious and the S-N less clear.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
I have a pretty good idea on both children and the purpose is to help guide them through the outside world as well as to develop an open relationship with them that will hopefully help through the teenage years. I am an INFJ and have been as far back as I can remember ( I have memories going back to being in a crib). Thanks for all the input guys!