User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Typing Children

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

There is some research on this topic. Here's a link for typing children. I think it is pretty accurate. Most children have a disposition from an early age of EJ, EP, IJ, and IP. This intuitively makes sense to me because I remember my ENFJ friend growing up trying to take charge, while I was quiet and just wanted to play with toys by myself.

If you look at Piaget's Theory of cognitive development our psyche is in the fully operational stage around puberty, which is around the age of twelve. According to our modern definition of intuition, it is not fully formed until then.

I have my doubts whether it is so straightforward that the first cognitive process develops first and the second remains in a sort of limbo phase. It's probably a bit more ephemeral than that.

MBTI
    infp

the 'nurture by nature' book INTJ Mom suggested is very good
    I recognised mine were both extroverts from an early age - neither liked playing on their own and were both very happy in company - now they both have armies of friends and love noise and bustle!
    the rest took longer to make out - our youngest is 11 -oldest 15 and its very clear now esfj (off shopping today with about 10 friends then to the cinema then bringing them back to eat and play music very loudly!)and estp (today is football, wrestle with dog, bike ride with gang of mates 'look mum no hands!)
    Ive often thought it fascinating that your children's personalities can be so diffrent to their parents (infp/istp) I love watching them develop.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Bougal: It happened to me, too. I became introverted as hell when I was 13-14 years old. Sort of like an INTP. Shadow type-thing I believe. Depression might have triggered it.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The general belief, I think, in MBTI is that children develop their primary functions first. The others tend to fill in later. Others think that you tell orientation first, but the actual preference doesn't emerge first (ie: x--x).

In my opinion, what you can tell mostly only the I/E, and any strong existing preference that is unlikely to change. In reality, I suspect that these things are influenced by environment, so the majority can show shifts in and out as they grow up. (Lets face it, teenagers do not behave quite the same as "normal" humans ).

The answer, however, is "Yes, it is too young to be confident in any typing". Doesn't mean you can't gain from doing it, but don't assume it is true or will remain the same.
    I would agree that the primary function is what you should look out for first, but even E/I can be confusing based on the individual. My dad has said that I was always reserved from an early age while my brother was more outgoing. I of course am ENTP, while my brother is ISFP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I've just read a book by Tieger on type and children and was surprised to find how well I fitted the description for 4 year old INTP's they give...
    However, I've used MBTI for many years now and still find it extremely hard to type my own 4 year old daughter...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The link above is a good resource

Some children are easier to type than others and because a lot of research shows it's developmental, you might be sure on some preferences but not on all. Smart parents use it as a hypothesis for guiding the natural development of a child and for tailoring encouragement and discipline (sending my I son and E daughter to their rooms for time out was not equal punishment!!)

The Tieger book is good but LifeTypes by Hirsh and Kummerow...the opening paragraphs of each type description are of childhood, based on stories from adults who know their types and looked back on defining moments. Both my children very much match the descriptions given there and, as young adults now, have verified their types. I had them take the children's indicator (MMTIC) when they were in elementary school and they articulately talked through what did and didn't describe them. They revisited it with me many years later. Meanwhile we used the hypotheses to help an INFP and ENTJ navigate the very ISTJ world of their high school. Kept us from thinking our son was lazy or learning disabled or God knows what. He's very happy in college now.

Also, The Developing Child by Murphy has a ton of information on what type looks like in children and even better, what to do as a parent or what works in school.
    Last edited by edcoaching; 11-23-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Had school type wrong
    edcoaching

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I dunno, my "ENFP" ness was pretty obvious/apparent from a young age.

By five or six one would have been able to accurately assess my personality.

If anything, I displayed more charactersitically ENFP traits when I was younger, than I do now.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My temperament was pretty consistent with the Rationals description, according to my mother. I didn't talk until a later age than usual and I never liked being held. (Some will say autistic, others will say temperament.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I dunno, my "ENFP" ness was pretty obvious/apparent from a young age.

By five or six one would have been able to accurately assess my personality.

If anything, I displayed more charactersitically ENFP traits when I was younger, than I do now.
    I was 99% sure on my son but for my daughter, the ETJ was obvious and the S-N less clear.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w?

I have a pretty good idea on both children and the purpose is to help guide them through the outside world as well as to develop an open relationship with them that will hopefully help through the teenage years. I am an INFJ and have been as far back as I can remember ( I have memories going back to being in a crib). Thanks for all the input guys!