• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sofia Coppola

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What do you think her type is?

[YOUTUBE="4D2ndQjYA1Q"]Sofia Coppola[/YOUTUBE]

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you think her type is?

[YOUTUBE="4D2ndQjYA1Q"]Sofia Coppola[/YOUTUBE]

I'd say ISFP. She talks like an ISFP, and she even has that female-ISFP body language.

Apparently, she based Lost In Translation movie on her own failed marriage, and the main character there was also ISFP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm...I've heard people here say that Charlotte from Lost in Translation was some sort of NT (I personally think she was INTP).

But I don't know about ISFP for Sofia...I'll have to watch more interviews.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm...I've heard people here say that Charlotte from Lost in Translation was some sort of NT (I personally think she was INTP).

Aw HELL no!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Aw HELL no!

Why do you say that? Here's my brief list of reasons:

-Deadpan
-Definitely introverted (though this could count towards your ISFP)
-Slightly arrogant
-Rarely displays emotion
-Majored in philosophy
-Made fun of people

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why do you say that? Here's my brief list of reasons:

-Deadpan
-Definitely introverted (though this could count towards your ISFP)
-Slightly arrogant
-Rarely displays emotion
-Majored in philosophy
-Made fun of people

She tried to hold back her emotions, (due to introversion and because she was losing touch with her husband) but they were always there. She even had a breakdown when she thought that she lost her sense of empathy (that scene when she calls back US).

There was nothing NT about her.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
She tried to hold back her emotions, (due to introversion and because she was losing touch with her husband) but they were always there. She even had a breakdown when she thought that she lost her sense of empathy (that scene when she calls back US).

There was nothing NT about her.

NTs have emotions.

But remember that scene where her and Bob were laying in the bed together, and she was saying that she was too "mean"? Plus her honesty in assessing her own talent suggests T at least (the part where she was saying that her photography was sooo mediocre). And I don't think anything about her suggests S.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I would say: an intelligent INFJ.

Definitely get the J vibe. T/F is a little more hazy. She seems like she can get very mentally detached, but that that's not her default state.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
NTs have emotions.

But remember that scene where her and Bob were laying in the bed together, and she was saying that she was too "mean"? And I don't think anything about her suggests S.

Bah, I have to watch the movie again to make valid MBTI arguments, but I guarantee you that she was a feeler. Perhaps she was INFP, but she was definitely IxFP, just as Bill Murray's character.

(edit: BTW, it is the feelers who become overly concerned with becoming "too mean", not thinkers. Thinkers worry about becoming "too emotional")

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would say: an intelligent INFJ.

Definitely get the J vibe. T/F is a little more hazy. She seems like she can get very mentally detached, but that that's not her default state.

I think this is more on target, but remember the way she coldly treated that actress who was a friend of her husband's? And that guy who was telling her about his music?

There's just no Fe about her.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think this is more on target, but remember the way she coldly treated that actress who was a friend of her husband's?

Yeah, that was because she suspected that her husband was cheating on her with that actress.

I can't believe you missed that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Bah, I have to watch the movie again to make valid MBTI arguments, but I guarantee you that she was a feeler. Perhaps she was INFP, but she was definitely IxFP, just as Bill Murray's character.

(edit: BTW, it is the feelers who become overly concerned with becoming "too mean", not thinkers. Thinkers worry about becoming "too emotional")

She wasn't worried about "becoming" too mean, she was stating that she was already mean. And her uncaring-ness seemed to be a source of friction between her and her husband (like when she said that her husband thought she was too snotty).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, that was because she suspected that her husband was cheating on her with that actress.

I can't believe you missed that.

Remember the scene where her and Bob are walking through that jazz club, and they see the actress on the stage singing? The way that she laughs at her suggests that she views her more as an object of ridicule than a serious threat (and the actress wasn't even with her husband at that point). Even when they first met, she made fun of her for using the pseudonym "Evelyn Waugh", because it was a guy's name. And then her husband chided her for making fun of the girl.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
She wasn't worried about "becoming" too mean, she was stating that she was already mean. And her uncaring-ness seemed to be a source of friction between her and her husband (like when she said that her husband thought she was too snotty).

The whole point of the story was that she was being neglected by her husband and she was becoming cold and distant, which was an unnatural state for her. That's why she had an emotional breakdown, and that's why a relationship with Bob started to blossom.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Remember the scene where her and Bob are walking through that jazz club, and they see the actress on the stage singing? The way that she laughs at her suggests that she views her more as an object of ridicule than a serious threat (and the actress wasn't even with her husband at that point). Even when they first met, she made fun of her for using the pseudonym "Evelyn Waugh", because it was a guy's name. And then her husband chided her for making fun of the girl.

ISFPs have no problem goofing on other people behind their back while in the company of friends. I think you're missing the big picture.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ISFPs have no problem goofing on other people behind their back while in the company of friends. I think you're missing the big picture.

Why S over N? After introversion, N seems the second most obvious to me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The whole point of the story was that she was being neglected by her husband and she was becoming cold and distant, which was an unnatural state for her. That's why she had an emotional breakdown, and that's why a relationship with Bob started to blossom.

Really? I always got the feeling that it was about her being disillusioned with her life in general. She wasn't only worried about her husband's neglect...she was also dissatisfied with the lifestyle she was living and her lack of direction. She was listening to self-help tapes to find out who she was...so I viewed it more as an existential breakdown rather than just an emotional crisis related to her marriage.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why S over N? After introversion, N seems the second most obvious to me.

Honestly, I saw that movie like 5 years ago, so I'm not sure about S/N part. But I am quite confident about the IxFP part.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really? I always got the feeling that it was about her being disillusioned with her life in general. She wasn't only worried about her husband's neglect...she was also dissatisfied with the lifestyle she was living and her lack of direction. She was listening to self-help tapes to find out who she was...so I viewed it more as an existential breakdown rather than just an emotional crisis related to her marriage.

An INTP that listens to "self help tapes"? common...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
An INTP that listens to "self help tapes"? common...

That's kind of true...but a minor point. I don't really see anything that would suggest as strong an F as you seem to be saying that she was.