Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I'm not sure what type he is, but I can guarantee you it's not INFP.

There is very little emotion in his works. There's some implied emotion, but he never expresses it head on.
    emotion =/= F. lots of NFPs are not emotional at all
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I vote INTP because he invented an entirely alien language, the Elf language, and type descriptions say INTP is the most precise in thought and language of all the types. The guy was also more objective than emotional, because he goes more into the journey than into the characters.

INFP is also a very likely possibility too, as he was a dreamer with deep moral themes.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I vote INTP because he invented an entirely alien language, the Elf language, and type descriptions say INTP is the most precise in thought and language of all the types. The guy was also more objective than emotional, because he goes more into the journey than into the characters.

INFP is also a very likely possibility too, as he was a dreamer with deep moral themes.
    Tolkien invented Elvish, Dwarvish, and the dark language of Mordor among others.
    http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/
    http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/howmany.htm

I think Tolkien is generally recognized as an INFP.

[edit - If Tolkien only invented a few words of the dark language of Mordor then that doesn't qualify it as a language.]
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ?

him being obsessed with language doesn't mean that he's an INTP. i've seen that INFP's have a knack for language and really enjoy it as well.

being an Fi-dom. doesn't mean that he wouldn't be detached, it doesn't really mean anything behaviorally related. what it does mean is that he would have an attitude towards preferring judgment from "within" to guide his life and rejecting that that comes from "without". all Ji-dom.s would share this; his attitude towards the latter would be negative.

as far as him being a sensor--sure why not? but just because he went into a lot of detail or liked looking at flowers? no. if he did have any sort of sensory bend to himself it would make sense since he had tertiary Si and would have been at an age where it would either be developed, or would be in the process of developing (which would mean that it could possibly assert itself in a way that would cloud the other facets of his personality from being seen--that is, in the stage of development). in any case, it didn't seem to be the largest part of his personality (if that can even be measured from reading a work of his... there are so many avenues to divert an easily traceable source back from something that stands outside of oneself to the actual origin from which it came, and something so complexly layered such as trilogy would potentially send off thousands of those avenues).

lastly, his main, overriding theme had to with the evil within and how it giving oneself towards that can lead to downfall. the whole 'good v.s. evil' struggle seems very much Fi-rooted. although, would could just as easily argue that it was more of a "giving into the evil within can lead to the downfall of a world and people that are greater in their sum than you are in your own" (Fe?).

in any case, why does it matter? Ji+Ne+Si+Je... in two balanced individuals, would you really notice the difference to begin with?

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I'm not sure what type he is, but I can guarantee you it's not INFP.

There is very little emotion in his works. There's some implied emotion, but he never expresses it head on.
    WUT. Have you read the Silmarillion? I have been a huge Tolkien fan since I was little and I am also a writer. I relate a lot to his style and his themes. I'm not great at this typing stuff yet, but why couldn't he be INFP??
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The guy was also more objective than emotional, because he goes more into the journey than into the characters.
    Don't forget that he was an english professor, so his writing was very academic, thus objective. He was very focused on what he wanted his style to be and he worked to achieve that. The point I'm making is that the works he produced were very deliberate products, very carefully made, and so should not be looked at to assume he was unemotional. We often separate out our emotions in our work.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    emotion =/= F. lots of NFPs are not emotional at all
    You mean they don't show emotions. They exist in introverted fashion. Often the only way to draw out the emotion is to get the Fi types angry about something they believe in.

And as a side note to @RaptorWizard, you were right about Elvish being the language Tolkien invented, two forms of it in fact. The rest were sketchy, consisting of only a few made up words, and sometimes only a single word such as forgoil which somehow-or-other translates from Dunedin to "strawheads" in English.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I will never be convinced that Tolkien is anything other than an INFP, and I will never be convinced that Rowling is anything other than an INFP. They are INFPs. No debate. Excuse me while I log away all of this T and S nonsense.
    From the One Light, the entire universe welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? -- Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1349

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by knight rider View Post
    It's likely that Tolkien was INFP because of his obvious camaraderie with CS Lewis, an INTJ. The F and T would seem to go much better together than two T's, don't you think?
    I was thinking this, as well.
    From the One Light, the entire universe welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? -- Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1349

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by monocycle View Post
    I was thinking this, as well.
    Now we've reduced typing people to who one of their friends is. "If he's hanging out with an INTJ, he has to be an INFP." Good work.

You'd do better evaluating INFP vs INTP on the basis of attachment/detachment, especially in regards to moral values; thick-skinnedness; and other qualities that typically differ between the two types.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft