User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Tolkien

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    ragashree, I'm sorry I shattered your world. Can we leave it at that?

If it helps, it makes no difference to my sense of self worth whether Tolkien is INTP or not. So you can be sure that I wasn't just disagreeing with you just to crush your dream of him being an INFP.

Stop being a twit. I was attempting to refute your argument and wasn't in the least insulted or upset by it. If I may say so it is a very NF response to suppose that I WAS upset

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I'm not sure what type he is, but I can guarantee you it's not INFP.

There is very little emotion in his works. There's some implied emotion, but he never expresses it head on.
    Hem, not expressing feelings directly is a characteristic if Fi as opposed to Fe types, so I don't see that one as holding much water. And even if it did apply more generally, it simply wasn't done for an Englishman of his era to express emotions in a direct manner and would have lost him respect among his peers. This would have been anathema to Tolkien, who relied very heavily on his Oxford literary compatriots for support, encouragement, and an appreciative audience - he seems to have been unable to get much work done in complete isolation despite his reclusiveness, another very INFP trait.

Dali

I would think the rich sensory details in his books might indicate an S preference. I've seen him typed as an ESFJ elsewhere.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Hem, not expressing feelings directly is a characteristic if Fi as opposed to Fe types, so I don't see that one as holding much water. And even if it did apply more generally, it simply wasn't done for an Englishman of his era to express emotions in a direct manner and would have lost him respect among his peers. This would have been anathema to Tolkien, who relied very heavily on his Oxford literary compatriots for support, encouragement, and an appreciative audience - he seems to have been unable to get much work done in complete isolation despite his reclusiveness, another very INFP trait.
    Everybody needs inspiration, especially when writing about people. Some of his works had no emotion. The ones that did display more, such as the Hobbit made it more childlike in nature. If I were to hazard a guess would point to weak Fe. INFPs have (at least) fairly well developed developed emotional worlds.

Stop being a twit. I was attempting to refute your argument and wasn't in the least insulted or upset by it. If I may say so it is a very NF response to suppose that I WAS upset
    I doubt she was upset. Frustrated by some weak logic, perhaps.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    I would think the rich sensory details in his books might indicate an S preference. I've seen him typed as an ESFJ elsewhere.
    Interesting point, but it only really seems to be the case in his more popular works written as novels such as the Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit. In the Silmarillion (which he after all regarded as his major work and spent most of his life working on) sensory details, description, and dialogue are by comparison extraordinarily sparse. This was partly due, I have no doubt, to the fact that he was consciously trying to write epic narrative after the style of the Norse sagas; but the very fact that he could vary his style to such an extreme degree in these respects should, I think, make one cautious about inferring too much about his type from style alone.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Everybody needs inspiration, especially when writing about people. Some of his works had no emotion. The ones that did display more, such as the Hobbit made it more childlike in nature. If I were to hazard a guess would point to weak Fe. INFPs have (at least) fairly well developed developed emotional worlds.

I doubt she was upset. Frustrated by some weak logic, perhaps.
    Yeah, show me the weak logic, don't just state it!

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab
    "It needs but one foe to breed a war, and those who have not swords can still die upon them." (seems more rational like an INTP, as opposed to INFPs who seem to think that everything will be ok if they stick to their values)
    INFPs can write like this. As an NF, I certainly don't think everything will be ok if I stick to my values. I stick to my values not necessarily because I think I can avoid what is bad but I have values because it makes my life feel more full- having values gives me a purpose in life.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Yeah, show me the weak logic, don't just state it!
    Why would I show you? I'm just giving you a hint why she left. I'm wasn't continuing her argument. Like I said, I'm not sure what his type is, but I can assure you he's not Fi dominant.

I think he's probably a Fe type, which cuts out 8 of them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Why would I show you? I'm just giving you a hint why she left. I'm wasn't continuing her argument. Like I said, I'm not sure what his type is, but I can assure you he's not Fi dominant.

I think he's probably a Fe type, which cuts out 8 of them.
    INFJ could work:

Ni for entire fantasy world complete with 1000s of years of history and mythology

Fe for the Fe stuff you mention

Ti for the making the entire theory of his world make sense

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I've yet to see data that contrasts well with booya's/Jennifer's collective rationale.

INTP.