• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thom Yorke

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Feeling/Intuition Introvert. INFJ. Certainty 4/5.

In the following interview (And others), he is extremely concerned with passing judgment based on his emotional value system, thus implying Feeling Primary. He displays signs of Intuition as well, implying that as Support.

YouTube - Thom Yorke interview about the new album "Eraser"

Compare Yorke with a musician I believe is INFP, Elliott Smith (Certainty 9/10). Smith seems to be more of a Perceiver in my view.

YouTube - Elliott Smith - Interview Clips

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
INFP. He's too scruffy to be a J. He constantly looks like he's just got out of bed, smoked a hell of a lot of weed and downed a lot of alcohol. Simultaneously. Also Radiohead kinda break too many boundaries to suggest a J. They sound like no one else.

redacted

INFP. He's too scruffy to be a J. He constantly looks like he's just got out of bed, smoked a hell of a lot of weed and downed a lot of alcohol. Simultaneously. Also Radiohead kinda break too many boundaries to suggest a J. They sound like no one else.

Uh............

Is that seriously how you type people?

Break too many boundaries to suggest J???????????????????? Have you heard of Ni? What makes you think Ni breaks fewer boundaries than Ne? In fact, Ni breaks more boundaries, as Ne by definition PLAYS OFF OF THE ENVIRONMENT. Ni isn't even bounded by external situations.

Also, too scruffy to be J? Smoking and drinking somehow determine that you're a P?

Honestly, I have no idea what type Thom Yorke is. He could be an INFP. But your rationale is seriously lacking.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
INFJ

The F is weak. The N is strong. But, the J is for realze.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

For real? Scruffiness as a decisive eliminator of type? LOL.

I came as soon as i saw "thom yorke" to type INFJ.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
so we agree on the INF?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd guess infj.

if you don't get the F, listen to the bends instead of the impersonal works after ok computer. watch meeting people is easy.

also, after thinking about it,
true love waits and talk show host = infj

deleted
Have you heard of Ni? What makes you think Ni breaks fewer boundaries than Ne? In fact, Ni breaks more boundaries, as Ne by definition PLAYS OFF OF THE ENVIRONMENT. Ni isn't even bounded by external situations.

I feel that I'm never going to understand Ne even though I use it more than any Ji function.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i don't know about his type but "and it rained all night" just rocks!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Why would an INFJ not be scruffy? I know there's a J there, but they can be really awkward. INFPs normally come off a bit shy but connecting.

I'm still not sure why ISFP isn't there as an option though. His music is strange, but why not S?

Still songs like "fake plastic trees", and "how to disappear completely" scream NFP to me. It is whether the whole trapped in society thing is because he values it but can't feel at home NFJ, or because he sees it as restricting and made of invalid rules, NFP. The fact he is indirect suggests Fi. I want to call him INFJ when watching interviews though.

Which of the albums do NFJs and NFPs like best, and why?

G

Glycerine

Why would an INFJ not be scruffy? I know there's a J there, but they can be really awkward. INFPs normally come off a bit shy but connecting.

I'm still not sure why ISFP isn't there as an option though. His music is strange, but why not S?
don'
Still songs like "fake plastic trees", and "how to disappear completely" scream NFP to me. It is whether the whole trapped in society thing is because he values it but can't feel at home NFJ, or because he sees it as restricting and made of invalid rules, NFP. The fact he is indirect suggests Fi. I want to call him INFJ when watching interviews though.

Which of the albums do NFJs and NFPs like best, and why?

What do you mean by indirect? Both INFJ and INFP are highly abstract types. @ bold, that could also be fairly INFJish because they still are highly individualistic even w/ the Fe. Many INFJs probably value their ideas above all else and will disregard rules if they view them as pointless. He could still be an INFP, I suppose.

G

Glycerine

What? have you ever met an INFJ?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What do you mean by indirect? Both INFJ and INFP are highly abstract types. @ bold, that could also be fairly INFJish because they still are highly individualistic even w/ the Fe. Many INFJs probably value their ideas above all else and will disregard rules if they view them as pointless. He could still be an INFP, I suppose.

Yeh, I suppose you guys have more focus on social rules and status than us. But it isn't a rigid focus defined externally as I might have wrongly suggested. On the other hand, we just tend to neglect it, and not hold it that highly because it crosses other values. So I wasn't sure in which way Thom disliked it. I really want to say INFJ, but I've found the songs many INFJs I know like seem to not be the ones Thom would like and an INTJ and me an ENFP seem to like the ones he held more dear rather than just "cool" ones. Which was giving me the idea he might be Fi. It might just be the subset of INFJs I have though, because it isn't a large sample and music tastes aren't that type dependent from what I've seen on here.

By indirect I mean the way an NFP approaches things compared to an NFJ. INFJs are often annoyed with us for being indirect in the way we influence. We alter the system without stamping our mark in it. We like to make the effect unnoticed, something Thom does a lot. There is almost a refusal to be definite, he just throws out what he has and lets you make the decision. And you normally remember the song more than the fact he is the singer. Often he just flows through.

G

Glycerine

Yeh, I suppose you guys have more focus on social rules and status than us. But it isn't a rigid focus defined externally as I might have wrongly suggested. On the other hand, we just tend to neglect it, and not hold it that highly because it crosses other values. So I wasn't sure in which way Thom disliked it. I really want to say INFJ, but I've found the songs many INFJs I know like seem to not be the ones Thom would like and an INTJ and me an ENFP seem to like the ones he held more dear rather than just "cool" ones. Which was giving me the idea he might be Fi. It might just be the subset of INFJs I have though, because it isn't a large sample and music tastes aren't that type dependent from what I've seen on here.

By indirect I mean the way an NFP approaches things compared to an NFJ. INFJs are often annoyed with us for being indirect in the way we influence. We alter the system without stamping our mark in it. We like to make the effect unnoticed, something Thom does a lot. There is almost a refusal to be definite, he just throws out what he has and lets you make the decision. And you normally remember the song more than the fact he is the singer. Often he just flows through.

Yes, music is definitely not related to type. My ISTJ brother is in love w/ Radiohead. I definitely see your point though. Thank you for explaining. :D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
listen to thom talk about street spirit in meeting people is easy. look at the no surprises video with the water filling up and him gasping for breath. listen to talk show host. the most personal records were easily the bends and pablo honey. after that he broke down completely some time during the ok computer tour and only does very abstract designy type records that use the radiohead logo as a shield (while still good) and like serve as an all-encompassing concept.

the bends,
"i want to live, breathe, i want to be part of the human race"
"bullet proof, i wish i was"
listen to my iron lung "suck, suck your teenage thumb, toilet-trained and dumb, when the power runs out we'll just hum"
stop whispering "and i can't find the words and i can't find the song"

it's Fe all the way, and if you don't see the Ni dom you need to read his lyrics.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really, really feel like he's an INTJ. He's famous for being an asshole: he blows off interviewers, gets mad at the lights people during his concerts, and his dictatorship over the rest of the band is well-known ("we're the United Nations; I'm America"). There's a cold aura to him if you watch his interviews--all the INFJs I've met, while they might seem cold, seem "soft-ish" if you know what I mean. They don't insult strangers who want to know how their lives are going.

His better albums (everything OK Computer and after) do bleed atmosphere like nothing else. It's quite different from bleeding feeling. Vladimir Nabokov, an INTJ, was famous for coldness and sterility in prose--the poet Yevtushenko remarked that he could hear the "clatter of surgical tools" in Nabokov's prose. Despite this, his most famous novel was Lolita, a poetic and sentimental romance. While some of Thom's songs might deal with love and etc, I feel like most revel in layers upon layers of technical complexity and atmosphere, not feeling.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he's a 5w4! sx/sp. we use ideas that are emotionally loaded, but we don't traffic in emotions directly. we're not really good enough at taking ownership or registering our own emotions well enough to do that, the sense of overwhelm is too much. instead late radiohead creates this weird e5 head energy, these transitory patterns that emerge, that are relatively stable, and that then break down and disappear. all fucking nerves. earlier is all about the sense of e5 isolation, feeling like you're surrounded by glass on all sides and wanting to fucking shatter it so you can fucking breathe. there's actually a write-up of thom and i think the no surprises video about it filling up and him having to gasp for air in between each take. it's all Fe implosion, being cut off, this Ni Ti loop, "i wanna live, breathe, i wanna be part of the human race" and all these hugely inflected attitudes/fe projections. talk show host, high and dry, fake plastic trees, the self-loathing of creep, true love waits, just, etc it has all the self-conscious action-inhibiting decision is everyone around me but i can't make it don't leave me on my own isolated infj e5 hysteria.