• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thom Yorke

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's also direct in his communication. IxFPs are more indirect, even when blunt. Both can be blunt or diplomatic, and it's hard for me to articulate the difference, but I see him as Ni-dom blunt, not Fi-dom blunt.

Okay, wait, I thought of a way of articulating this..... Notice that he gets very blunt when guarding some info he does not want the interviewer to know? He puts up a wall & is rude about it. I see FJs do this a lot. When there is a perception of someone as rude, their Fe mindset feels justified to respond in kind. People should know not to pry, after all, and this directness sort of shames them. It's like he's scolding the interviewer on propriety. In contrast, he is otherwise relatively diplomatic for someone who is guarded & reserved. When it's info the FJ is comfortable with sharing, then they may be less direct & more diplomatic, seeking to gain consensus, understanding or approval even.

An FP type will often be blunt when expressing what is important to them, because they want it to be known, and accuracy is more at stake then propriety. When they want something to be known, then they are blunt. When they want to guard something, then they often become vague & indirect. I rarely slam people down when they pry - that would alert them to the fact that I am guarding something. I want to hide that I am even guarding something.... So instead I brush it off, give a vague answer, and try and distract them & lead hem towards another topic.

I definitely see him as an FJ in this respect.

G

Ginkgo

He's also direct in his communication. IxFPs are more indirect, even when blunt. Both can be blunt or diplomatic, and it's hard for me to articulate the difference, but I see him as Ni-dom blunt, not Fi-dom blunt.

Okay, wait, I thought of a way of articulating this..... Notice that he gets very blunt when guarding some info he does not want the interviewer to know? He puts up a wall & is rude about it. I see FJs do this a lot. When there is a perception of someone as rude, their Fe mindset feels justified to respond in kind. People should know not to pry, after all, and this directness sort of shames them. It's like he's scolding the interviewer on propriety. In contrast, he is otherwise relatively diplomatic for someone who is guarded & reserved. When it's info the FJ is comfortable with sharing, then they may be less direct & more diplomatic, seeking to gain consensus, understanding or approval even.

I saw that as well and figured his Ni prompted him to see behind the scenes of what was going on. Apparently, he was picking up patterns in different interviews and felt that the questions were geared toward exploiting the band's status rather than focusing on the music. He may have been abrasive, but I personally believe it was just.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well, like Southern Kross said, no Fi dom would say "This came from somewhere else [somewhere mythical in the great beyond! the devil!], I didn't write it."

It seems so glaringly obvious to me that he's Ni. And again, I think his rather hoity-toity assertion that his fans are like tail-wagging dogs who aren't perceiving the "real" concept is dom Ni rejecting inferior Se.

I see these things as very, very insignificant towards determining his type. In the first place, it's taking the BS things that he says a little too seriously. In the second, I'm not sure where you got Ni and "Ni rejecting inferior Se" from what he said.

Just because his voice sounds emo or something doesn't make him Fi.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

I never said that.

Thom yorke is the most stereotypical INFP i've ever seen he's very much into Fi in his song writing.

Agreed about the Fi thing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Ni doesn't have a monopoly on pretentious obfuscation, although they certainly try their best.

If he is more BtS than CtC then I'd take IFP and probably ISFP [there's your Fi and your Ni right there]. Never really listened to the music and I obviously don't know him personally enough to make the call on his interaction style. But I could see a NiTi INFJ 5 too.

G

Ginkgo

I agree with GetOffMyBiscuits that he seem BtS and not CtC and he seems very Fi (not Fe at all.) That means he's most likely not INFJ or any type with Fe in the dom or aux position.

INFJs have a Chart the Course interaction style. If you suspect someone is an INFJ IRL but you don't think they are CtC, then either you don't understand or recognize CtC properly or they are not INFJs.

You're being deductive. That's fine and all, but do you think you could form an inductive argument for Thom Yorke being an Fi dom? (construct a hypothesis and explanation)

Sunny Ghost

The most common consensus seems to be Ni, be it INFJ or ISFP with Ni/Fi looping. Is there any reason why INTJ isn't considered as a possibility? Does he really seem more like a feeler?

Being prone to the Ni/Fi loop, I think is one of the reasons I'm quite fond of Radiohead, honestly.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
He is very close to sx/sp, compare him to Jonny who is clear sp/sx withdrawn if there every was one

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading his lyrics and looking at his demeanor alone - INFP.

BlackFandango

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP. He's too scruffy to be a J. He constantly looks like he's just got out of bed, smoked a hell of a lot of weed and downed a lot of alcohol. Simultaneously. Also Radiohead kinda break too many boundaries to suggest a J. They sound like no one else.

You just described my own appearance perfectly. xD

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he is realllyyyy difficult to type. as an american, i find that i have a hard time typing british people... they're so much more reserved than us, and it can kinda throw me off. even the most mushy INFPs can put up a bit of a reserved, Fe front.

can someone provide evidence for INFP v. INFJ? i find that it's really difficult for me to spot Ni in songs, and it does seem to me like it can be a bit over-spotted by Ni people.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

An FP type will often be blunt when expressing what is important to them, because they want it to be known, and accuracy is more at stake then propriety. When they want something to be known, then they are blunt. When they want to guard something, then they often become vague & indirect. I rarely slam people down when they pry - that would alert them to the fact that I am guarding something. I want to hide that I am even guarding something.... So instead I brush it off, give a vague answer, and try and distract them & lead hem towards another topic.

I definitely see him as an FJ in this respect.

It's also kind of British behavior... as I said in another post, I find it a bit difficult to type British people because they're markedly more guarded than Americans

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, this makes me think he can't really be Fi-dom. IXFPs can't really separate themselves from their creations even if its about something or someone else entirely. We want to express a particular personal perspective/feeling/atmosphere/belief through art - and we would want to inspire a similar reaction in others ("feel as I feel and then you will understand"). Whereas he seems keen to distance himself from his work. From what I understand, Ni doms are interested in exploring ideas rather than a personal emotional experience. I've also heard that Ni doesn't need an empathic audience or for people to understand the rationale behind an expression, its just about putting it out there (read some of what is said about Ni humour in the thread a few months ago). Some INFJ artists seem to want to take themselves out the picture entirely and their creativity comes through channeling inspiration from seemingly out of nowhere. I remember watching an interview with Meryl Streep where she talked about this.

This is slowly convincing me he's a INFJ :yes:

As for enneatype: I think him the 5w4 'iconoclast' description fits him well:

Source

idk though---i'm definitely an INFP and would probably describe my music as a 'parallel universe.' it isn't an exact representation of my feeling... it's more like a projection of a world, and not necessarily MY world

Kho

please let prayer be true
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just saw this thread
:doh:

anyway apparently I'm the only one who thinks he's INTP.
basically everyone else thinks he's INFJ or INFP.
I'd still argue that the intense emotionality + expression thereof is very reminiscent of
an INTP 4w5 with Socionics type INFj
or something,
but that's just because I'm biased because that's what I am,
and I see my interior landscape reflected in his musical output,
but i'm probably not the only one that feels that way,
so,
that's no great indicator.

leictreon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant