Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Is it impossible for you people to look at the substance of what someone says? Making condescending remarks about what you believe are my motivations for calling you out is possibly the most childish/ useless thing you could do (at least my childishness has substance). I know you're trying to save face but the only way you're going to do that is by truthfully typing Thom York. Not proving superiority over me with your bad rhetorical tactics.
    You call people stupid, childish, and other things, but Stigmata is being condescending? I also think Stigmata's posts are extremely substantial, what about the posts where he gave examples of Yorke's explanations of Radiohead songs?

Dude.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Is it impossible for you people to look at the substance of what someone says? Making condescending remarks about what you believe are my motivations for calling you out is possibly the most childish/ useless thing you could do (at least my childishness has substance). I know you're trying to save face but the only way you're going to do that is by truthfully typing Thom York. Not proving superiority over me with your bad rhetorical tactics.
    You've already lost.

Which is sad, considering this wasn't even a competition.

/ENTJed

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

do you have any good reasons for isfp other than interaction styles? i don't think he's nearly down to earth enough, radiohead is one of the most conceptual mainstream bands i can think of. infj makes way more sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Save face? From what? Saving face implies that at one point or another I thought my reputation was at stake, which I didn't at all. For me, this thread and attempting to type him accurately wasn't about ego masturbation; I was just sharing my reasoning behind why I thought he was an INFJ, which I why I took the time to cite interviews excerpts as well as supplement that with a bit of my own analysis of the band. I lose equally as little from being wrong as I gain from being right here.

My only annoyance with you is that you joined the discussion with this gunslinger mentality of shooting off insults and telling people why they're wrong without ever really explaining what makes you right. And then you invoke the "Well any type is capable of using or display X trait", well, no shit. These types are thread are based on empirical based speculations. Obviously none of us know him, therefore we can't say with any sort of certainty exactly what type he is. Saying any type can use metaphors says absolutely nothing; That could be used to classify him as an INFJ just as equally as it can to classify him as another type, rendering the point moot.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah I want to talk about this symbolism/conceptual thing...I'm going to go back to Jared Leto because he's ISFP and I'm very familiar with him and the music of 30 Seconds to Mars...he talks about things being hurricanes, burying him, astrological symbols, and even about someone having a map of the world on his face...this is Ni worked into the lyrics...however, these are tangible symbols. We all can infer through our senses why we would call something a hurricane, that burying someone means being overwhelmed, and a map of the world on someone's face is quite visual and depicts a particular image as a symbol. The rest of the lyrics are quite earthy, though, it isn't hard to figure out what 30 Seconds to Mars songs are "about." They aren't overly abstract at their core. Also, EMOTIONAL INTENSITY seems to be a real priority in the music, rather than intellectual or symbolic detachment...immersion is key instead. That intensity is both Fi and Se I think.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

So far all I've been hearing in defense of INFJ is "Radiohead is so conceptual, and Ni is conceptual, so he must be INFJ." I'm sorry, but that is a very weak way of typing anybody. For one thing, even if it's true that he shows shades of Ni in his writing/speaking/musical arrangements, that says nothing about the position of Ni in his stacking. What makes it dominant Ni and not tertiary Ni? If anything, the overly pretentious way in which it seems to get used (if indeed Ni is being used) would seem to indicate the clumsy usage/fetishization of an inferior or tertiary function. Second, as with any artist, there is little that can be gleaned about their type from their artwork alone. Here's why, in Thom's particular case: (1) he's not the sole creator of the music or the lyrics, (2) there is no stable way to interpret functions from music/lyrics (and especially the music itself without regard for the lyrical content...that's quite preposterous), and (3) even if there were, it would be difficult to tie that to the type of the author because anybody can engage in Ni (or any functionally stereotyped) appearing behavior regardless of their actual type.

Additionally, I would also add that comparing one artist's (of a known type) work to another's as a means of typing is just silly. They could both be the same type, but differences in skill level, interest, taste, and circumstance could lead to each having wildly different artistic products in all respects.

I agree with GetOffMyBiscuits that he seem BtS and not CtC and he seems very Fi (not Fe at all.) That means he's most likely not INFJ or any type with Fe in the dom or aux position.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    Ahh I've known a few INFJs irl...and none of them were this 'chart the course' kind of INFJ that you describe. Moreover...I had a relationship with an INFJ male 5w4 that was SO NOT 'chart the course' I couldn't even tell you. If he could get lost in his 'imaginary world of thoughts' and never return...he would get lost in his 'imaginary world of thoughts' and never return.

It is spooky when I watch these Thom Yorke videos because I see my irl INFJ 5w4 in him. This makes me suspect my irl 5w4 was sx/sp. I don't know though. But everything...down to the pissyness. Uff. LOL!
    INFJs have a Chart the Course interaction style. If you suspect someone is an INFJ IRL but you don't think they are CtC, then either you don't understand or recognize CtC properly or they are not INFJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You call people stupid, childish, and other things, but Stigmata is being condescending? I also think Stigmata's posts are extremely substantial, what about the posts where he gave examples of Yorke's explanations of Radiohead songs?

Dude.
    Stigmata was being condescending.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    INFJs have a Chart the Course interaction style. If you suspect someone is an INFJ IRL but you don't think they are CtC, then either you don't understand or recognize CtC properly or they are not INFJs.
    You are right with regards to me not understanding 'Chart the Course' interaction style properly then. So you are saying that INFJ automatically ='s 'Chart the Course' interaction style?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

You are right with regards to me not understanding 'Chart the Course' interaction style properly then. So you are saying that INFJ automatically ='s 'Chart the Course' interaction style?
    Yes.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yes.
    Okay...then it is my lack of understanding/identifying because I am certain of MBTI in the cases I referred to. The 5w4 I mentioned above is kinda 'all over the place'. In my mind I could actually fit him into every interaction style except get things going. But I have limited knowledge on the subject and so there you have it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay...then it is my lack of understanding/identifying because I am certain of MBTI in the cases I referred to. The 5w4 I mentioned above is kinda 'all over the place'. In my mind I could actually fit him into every interaction style except get things going. But I have limited knowledge on the subject and so there you have it.
    See I don't think interaction styles are the best way to type people.

Of course, I also don't think an Fi dom would think it was "sad" that his fans didn't get the real meaning of his song without him informing them of it, and insist it came from the great beyond and that he didn't write it.

I think Thom Yorke rejects inferior Se as well as having Ni/Ti.

I won't budge on this because I think it's incredibly obvious he isn't an ISFP.