User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: Thom Yorke

  1. #41
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    ISFP
    I'm like almost completely baffled how anyone can view him as a sensor. First off, I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type, but just consistent usage of extended metaphors in their lyrics, but also how their usage of effects to produce this sort of ethereal, atmospheric sound to lots of their songs. Most of the time the lyrics aren't even really the focal point of the song, but more of the only constant force, like a backdrop, to a sound shaped around it that's in a constant state of flux(much more prominent in their later works which began with OKComputer, and progressed onward to Kid A, Amnesiac, The King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Hail to the Thief). They don't really make the more sensor-ish relatable slice of life-ish ballads more commonly seen amongst sensor heavy musicians, nor do they or have they tried to compete in the loudness war, or really try to mimic any sort of set formula or limit themselves to the confines of one specific genre.

    And also, while they're following is big enough to where they could be considered a mainstream recording group, they're total iconoclasts in comparison to other groups of their stature, both in their musical style, promotional practices (The name your own price gimmick for In Rainbows), and in their general reception to the media. Now I know that most of my post was speaking about the group as a whole, yet Thom is most definitely a creative driving force for the group, and being that he's been the most vocal about the general direction and motivations behind the band, I can't help but associate lots of these aspects that reflect in their music, artistically speaking, are the result of him putting a lot of himself into the music.

  2. #42
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Oh I know right? Everything about Radiohead is so conceptual, almost pretentiously so. I remember when I was a teenager liking Creep and Fake Plastic Trees, but not being so sure why they called their albums things like Kid A and OK Computer. The spoiler tags where you put the inspiration for his songs seems heavily Ni/Ti too...like what the hell is he even talking about? So abstract. Almost INTP-ish abstract, but that's just the Ni/Ti. Note that I'm talking about the first description of "Street Spirit" when I say this, to clarify. It's a beautiful song, but he has attributed sooo much abstract meaning to it. He's just a biological catalyst for it? He didn't write it? OMG Ni.

    Their music captures this whole ethereal atmosphere, too, like you said. It's almost other-worldly. I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to Radiohead. I can't listen to it all the time...it's too subtle and specific.
    Likes Noon liked this post

  3. #43
    Member GetOffMyBiscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I'm like almost completely baffled how anyone can view him as a sensor. First off, I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type, but just consistent usage of extended metaphors in their lyrics, but also how their usage of effects to produce this sort of ethereal, atmospheric sound to lots of their songs. Most of the time the lyrics aren't even really the focal point of the song, but more of the only constant force, like a backdrop, to a sound shaped around it that's in a constant state of flux(much more prominent in their later works which began with OKComputer, and progressed onward to Kid A, Amnesiac, The King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Hail to the Thief). They don't really make the more sensor-ish relatable slice of life-ish ballads more commonly seen amongst sensor heavy musicians, nor do they or have they tried to compete in the loudness war, or really try to mimic any sort of set formula or limit themselves to the confines of one specific genre.

    And also, while they're following is big enough to where they could be considered a mainstream recording group, they're total iconoclasts in comparison to other groups of their stature, both in their musical style, promotional practices (The name your own price gimmick for In Rainbows), and in their general reception to the media. Now I know that most of my post was speaking about the group as a whole, yet Thom is most definitely a creative driving force for the group, and being that he's been the most vocal about the general direction and motivations behind the band, I can't help but associate lots of these aspects that reflect in their music, artistically speaking, are the result of him putting a lot of himself into the music.
    Wow what a waste of words. Nothing you said is of any use to his type.

    Hes behind the scenes. Not chart the course. Nuff said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type
    Listen to yourself more.

    Also just because Ni is the leading function of INFJ's doesn't mean that his Fe in the second position would just disappear....

  4. #44
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Wow what a waste of words. Nothing you said is of any use to his type.

    Hes behind the scenes. Not chart the course. Nuff said.
    Do you even listen to Radiohead?

  5. #45
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh I know right? Everything about Radiohead is so conceptual, almost pretentiously so.
    I can definitely see how people reach that conclusion, and I would certainly agree with that myself if the band itself didn't appear so aloof and detached from most things related to the non-music side of the recording industry. To me, that opinion is the result the fact they don't succinctly fit in any one specific genre, but more that they incorporate themes from various genres that end up intertwining in this weird sort of musical blend, and blend which isn't even consistent on a per album basis; For the most part, each song is its own style which doesn't serve as a reflection to the tone of the overall album. Some bands become so synonymous with a particular genre or formula that it makes them easier to compare to their peers of that specific genre, but they don't really fit that mold, which is where I think people get the impression that they're intentionally trying to be innovative or abstract.

    They're just this group that sort of exists on some like entirely separate galaxy that just churns out music, the inspiration from which comes only from their bouncing ideas off each other but keeping them confined in this very contained bubble like space.

    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Wow what a waste of words. Nothing you said is of any use to his type.

    Hes behind the scenes. Not chart the course. Nuff said.
    I think I did, albeit indirectly and perhaps a bit vaguely. But to say that their music isn't a reflection of him personally as perhaps the major driving force creatively, seems like you're kind of missing the gist of what I was getting at with that.
    Likes Noon liked this post

  6. #46
    Member GetOffMyBiscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Do you even listen to Radiohead?
    Yes, and? Now stop mentioning his music being "deep," and type realistically.

  7. #47
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I can definitely see how people reach that conclusion, and I would certainly agree with that myself if the band itself didn't appear so aloof and detached from most things related to the non-music side of the recording industry. To me, that opinion is the result the fact they don't succinctly fit in any one specific genre, but more that they incorporate themes from various genres that end up intertwining in this weird sort of musical blend, and blend which isn't even consistent on a per album basis; For the most part, each song is its own style which doesn't serve as a reflection to the tone of the overall album. Some bands become so synonymous with a particular genre or formula that it makes them easier to compare to their peers of that specific genre, but they don't really fit that mold, which is where I think people get the impression that they're intentionally trying to be innovative or abstract.

    They're just this group that sort of exists on some like entirely separate galaxy that just churns out music, the inspiration from which comes only from their bouncing ideas off each other but keeping them confined in this very contained bubble like space.
    Yeah...and that's cool...I love what they create, I like listening to it sometimes, and as I mentioned in that post "Street Spirit" is a hauntingly beautiful song...but I absolutely do not believe it's about the ultimate triumph of the devil, and if that's what he intended that's fine that's his meaning, but his audience is free to interpret by what it makes them feel...and I think that because I'm Fi. Because of my Fi, I think that song only means what it makes individuals feel when they hear it...but he INSISTS it comes from the great beyond, and how sad it is that the audience doesn't see it, like they're dogs wagging their tails. WOW. What a blatant rejection of his inferior Se, if I do say so myself.

    And yeah...Paranoid Android...Kid A...OK Computer...Karma Police...when I was younger I may have pretended or even tried to understand what that means, but as a grown woman, sure it seems almost pretentiously symbolic to me...but that's cool...it's their art, you know, it's their thing and I think that's fine they're so individualistic like that. I'm just not going to pretend it means anything to me as an adult. Beautiful haunting music, but as for some of the lyrics, just no.

    Fake Plastic Trees is one of the only songs I attribute a specific meaning to, I thought it was about consumerism but here he was in your description talking about it being funny things that came out of his head...

  8. #48
    Member GetOffMyBiscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I think I did, albeit indirectly and perhaps a bit vaguely. But to say that their music isn't a reflection of him personally as perhaps the major driving force creatively, seems like you're kind of missing the gist of what I was getting at with that.
    Its childish, and insubstantial.

    Any type can and will use heavy metaphor in their writing. Which is basically what you said was Ni in that long ramble of doo doo.

  9. #49
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Yes, and? Now stop mentioning his music being "deep," and type realistically.
    It's too abstract in some regards, I didn't say anything about deep.

    Fi can be deep.

    Jared Leto in 30 Second to Mars is emotionally deep and the music makes an intense impact (ISFP), but his lyrics are nowhere in the neighborhood of Radiohead abstraction.

    Thom Yorke = Ni and I think EVERYTHING about him screams that. INFJs are often intensely private, I even see it on this forum.

  10. #50
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Well, it should be noted that Thom isn't the only lyricist in the group. In fact, a few of their songs were group projects.

    Their lyrics are quite atmospheric and ethereal. Almost like random words strung together, loosely relating to whatever the chief theme is. According to the interview content that Stigmata posted, I would risk saying that the writing process sounds like an Ni process. Thom describes lyrics as though they surface with little outside influence, like bubbles randomly popping on the ocean. They flow through him, rather than a Ji dom who would flow through the lyrics themselves. The content of the songs is so abstract, it's a bit like Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, which was really a word game in a similar vein as Lewis Carol.
    Likes Noon liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Thom Yorke INTP or?
    By Kho in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 04:11 PM
  2. Thom Yorke has a new band with Flea
    By simulatedworld in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
  3. Thom Yorke - "Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses/The Hollow Earth"
    By metaphours in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
  4. "Flavor of Love", "I Love New York" And Meyer Briggs?
    By Mondo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO