User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: Thom Yorke

  1. #11
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Have you heard of Ni? What makes you think Ni breaks fewer boundaries than Ne? In fact, Ni breaks more boundaries, as Ne by definition PLAYS OFF OF THE ENVIRONMENT. Ni isn't even bounded by external situations.
    I feel that I'm never going to understand Ne even though I use it more than any Ji function.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Jasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    276

    Default

    i don't know about his type but "and it rained all night" just rocks!
    .
    INTP/5w4 sx

  3. #13

    Default

    Why would an INFJ not be scruffy? I know there's a J there, but they can be really awkward. INFPs normally come off a bit shy but connecting.

    I'm still not sure why ISFP isn't there as an option though. His music is strange, but why not S?

    Still songs like "fake plastic trees", and "how to disappear completely" scream NFP to me. It is whether the whole trapped in society thing is because he values it but can't feel at home NFJ, or because he sees it as restricting and made of invalid rules, NFP. The fact he is indirect suggests Fi. I want to call him INFJ when watching interviews though.

    Which of the albums do NFJs and NFPs like best, and why?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  4. #14
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Why would an INFJ not be scruffy? I know there's a J there, but they can be really awkward. INFPs normally come off a bit shy but connecting.

    I'm still not sure why ISFP isn't there as an option though. His music is strange, but why not S?
    don'
    Still songs like "fake plastic trees", and "how to disappear completely" scream NFP to me. It is whether the whole trapped in society thing is because he values it but can't feel at home NFJ, or because he sees it as restricting and made of invalid rules, NFP. The fact he is indirect suggests Fi. I want to call him INFJ when watching interviews though.

    Which of the albums do NFJs and NFPs like best, and why?
    What do you mean by indirect? Both INFJ and INFP are highly abstract types. @ bold, that could also be fairly INFJish because they still are highly individualistic even w/ the Fe. Many INFJs probably value their ideas above all else and will disregard rules if they view them as pointless. He could still be an INFP, I suppose.

  5. #15
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    INFP. He's too scruffy to be a J. He constantly looks like he's just got out of bed, smoked a hell of a lot of weed and downed a lot of alcohol. Simultaneously. Also Radiohead kinda break too many boundaries to suggest a J. They sound like no one else.
    What? have you ever met an INFJ?

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    What do you mean by indirect? Both INFJ and INFP are highly abstract types. @ bold, that could also be fairly INFJish because they still are highly individualistic even w/ the Fe. Many INFJs probably value their ideas above all else and will disregard rules if they view them as pointless. He could still be an INFP, I suppose.
    Yeh, I suppose you guys have more focus on social rules and status than us. But it isn't a rigid focus defined externally as I might have wrongly suggested. On the other hand, we just tend to neglect it, and not hold it that highly because it crosses other values. So I wasn't sure in which way Thom disliked it. I really want to say INFJ, but I've found the songs many INFJs I know like seem to not be the ones Thom would like and an INTJ and me an ENFP seem to like the ones he held more dear rather than just "cool" ones. Which was giving me the idea he might be Fi. It might just be the subset of INFJs I have though, because it isn't a large sample and music tastes aren't that type dependent from what I've seen on here.

    By indirect I mean the way an NFP approaches things compared to an NFJ. INFJs are often annoyed with us for being indirect in the way we influence. We alter the system without stamping our mark in it. We like to make the effect unnoticed, something Thom does a lot. There is almost a refusal to be definite, he just throws out what he has and lets you make the decision. And you normally remember the song more than the fact he is the singer. Often he just flows through.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  7. #17
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Yeh, I suppose you guys have more focus on social rules and status than us. But it isn't a rigid focus defined externally as I might have wrongly suggested. On the other hand, we just tend to neglect it, and not hold it that highly because it crosses other values. So I wasn't sure in which way Thom disliked it. I really want to say INFJ, but I've found the songs many INFJs I know like seem to not be the ones Thom would like and an INTJ and me an ENFP seem to like the ones he held more dear rather than just "cool" ones. Which was giving me the idea he might be Fi. It might just be the subset of INFJs I have though, because it isn't a large sample and music tastes aren't that type dependent from what I've seen on here.

    By indirect I mean the way an NFP approaches things compared to an NFJ. INFJs are often annoyed with us for being indirect in the way we influence. We alter the system without stamping our mark in it. We like to make the effect unnoticed, something Thom does a lot. There is almost a refusal to be definite, he just throws out what he has and lets you make the decision. And you normally remember the song more than the fact he is the singer. Often he just flows through.
    Yes, music is definitely not related to type. My ISTJ brother is in love w/ Radiohead. I definitely see your point though. Thank you for explaining.

  8. #18
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    listen to thom talk about street spirit in meeting people is easy. look at the no surprises video with the water filling up and him gasping for breath. listen to talk show host. the most personal records were easily the bends and pablo honey. after that he broke down completely some time during the ok computer tour and only does very abstract designy type records that use the radiohead logo as a shield (while still good) and like serve as an all-encompassing concept.

    the bends,
    "i want to live, breathe, i want to be part of the human race"
    "bullet proof, i wish i was"
    listen to my iron lung "suck, suck your teenage thumb, toilet-trained and dumb, when the power runs out we'll just hum"
    stop whispering "and i can't find the words and i can't find the song"

    it's Fe all the way, and if you don't see the Ni dom you need to read his lyrics.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Kurt.Is.God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    230

    Default

    I really, really feel like he's an INTJ. He's famous for being an asshole: he blows off interviewers, gets mad at the lights people during his concerts, and his dictatorship over the rest of the band is well-known ("we're the United Nations; I'm America"). There's a cold aura to him if you watch his interviews--all the INFJs I've met, while they might seem cold, seem "soft-ish" if you know what I mean. They don't insult strangers who want to know how their lives are going.

    His better albums (everything OK Computer and after) do bleed atmosphere like nothing else. It's quite different from bleeding feeling. Vladimir Nabokov, an INTJ, was famous for coldness and sterility in prose--the poet Yevtushenko remarked that he could hear the "clatter of surgical tools" in Nabokov's prose. Despite this, his most famous novel was Lolita, a poetic and sentimental romance. While some of Thom's songs might deal with love and etc, I feel like most revel in layers upon layers of technical complexity and atmosphere, not feeling.

  10. #20
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    he's a 5w4! sx/sp. we use ideas that are emotionally loaded, but we don't traffic in emotions directly. we're not really good enough at taking ownership or registering our own emotions well enough to do that, the sense of overwhelm is too much. instead late radiohead creates this weird e5 head energy, these transitory patterns that emerge, that are relatively stable, and that then break down and disappear. all fucking nerves. earlier is all about the sense of e5 isolation, feeling like you're surrounded by glass on all sides and wanting to fucking shatter it so you can fucking breathe. there's actually a write-up of thom and i think the no surprises video about it filling up and him having to gasp for air in between each take. it's all Fe implosion, being cut off, this Ni Ti loop, "i wanna live, breathe, i wanna be part of the human race" and all these hugely inflected attitudes/fe projections. talk show host, high and dry, fake plastic trees, the self-loathing of creep, true love waits, just, etc it has all the self-conscious action-inhibiting decision is everyone around me but i can't make it don't leave me on my own isolated infj e5 hysteria.

Similar Threads

  1. Thom Yorke INTP or?
    By Kho in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 04:11 PM
  2. Thom Yorke has a new band with Flea
    By simulatedworld in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
  3. Thom Yorke - "Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses/The Hollow Earth"
    By metaphours in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
  4. "Flavor of Love", "I Love New York" And Meyer Briggs?
    By Mondo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO