Thread: Thom Yorke

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Reading his lyrics and looking at his demeanor alone - INFP.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatterMatador View Post
    In "Fitter Happier" he basically slams the entire concept of J.
    Hey, it's that 'song' I always skip.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

This is easy. INFP.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    INFP. He's too scruffy to be a J. He constantly looks like he's just got out of bed, smoked a hell of a lot of weed and downed a lot of alcohol. Simultaneously. Also Radiohead kinda break too many boundaries to suggest a J. They sound like no one else.
    You just described my own appearance perfectly. xD

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

he is realllyyyy difficult to type. as an american, i find that i have a hard time typing british people... they're so much more reserved than us, and it can kinda throw me off. even the most mushy INFPs can put up a bit of a reserved, Fe front.

can someone provide evidence for INFP v. INFJ? i find that it's really difficult for me to spot Ni in songs, and it does seem to me like it can be a bit over-spotted by Ni people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    He's also direct in his communication. IxFPs are more indirect, even when blunt. Both can be blunt or diplomatic, and it's hard for me to articulate the difference, but I see him as Ni-dom blunt, not Fi-dom blunt.

Okay, wait, I thought of a way of articulating this..... Notice that he gets very blunt when guarding some info he does not want the interviewer to know? He puts up a wall & is rude about it. I see FJs do this a lot. When there is a perception of someone as rude, their Fe mindset feels justified to respond in kind. People should know not to pry, after all, and this directness sort of shames them. It's like he's scolding the interviewer on propriety. In contrast, he is otherwise relatively diplomatic for someone who is guarded & reserved. When it's info the FJ is comfortable with sharing, then they may be less direct & more diplomatic, seeking to gain consensus, understanding or approval even.

An FP type will often be blunt when expressing what is important to them, because they want it to be known, and accuracy is more at stake then propriety. When they want something to be known, then they are blunt. When they want to guard something, then they often become vague & indirect. I rarely slam people down when they pry - that would alert them to the fact that I am guarding something. I want to hide that I am even guarding something.... So instead I brush it off, give a vague answer, and try and distract them & lead hem towards another topic.

I definitely see him as an FJ in this respect.
    It's also kind of British behavior... as I said in another post, I find it a bit difficult to type British people because they're markedly more guarded than Americans

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yeah, this makes me think he can't really be Fi-dom. IXFPs can't really separate themselves from their creations even if its about something or someone else entirely. We want to express a particular personal perspective/feeling/atmosphere/belief through art - and we would want to inspire a similar reaction in others ("feel as I feel and then you will understand"). Whereas he seems keen to distance himself from his work. From what I understand, Ni doms are interested in exploring ideas rather than a personal emotional experience. I've also heard that Ni doesn't need an empathic audience or for people to understand the rationale behind an expression, its just about putting it out there (read some of what is said about Ni humour in the thread a few months ago). Some INFJ artists seem to want to take themselves out the picture entirely and their creativity comes through channeling inspiration from seemingly out of nowhere. I remember watching an interview with Meryl Streep where she talked about this.

This is slowly convincing me he's a INFJ

As for enneatype: I think him the 5w4 'iconoclast' description fits him well:

Source
    idk though---i'm definitely an INFP and would probably describe my music as a 'parallel universe.' it isn't an exact representation of my feeling... it's more like a projection of a world, and not necessarily MY world

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I just saw this thread

anyway apparently I'm the only one who thinks he's INTP.
    basically everyone else thinks he's INFJ or INFP.
    I'd still argue that the intense emotionality + expression thereof is very reminiscent of
    an INTP 4w5 with Socionics type INFj
    or something,
    but that's just because I'm biased because that's what I am,
    and I see my interior landscape reflected in his musical output,
    but i'm probably not the only one that feels that way,
    so,
    that's no great indicator.

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Socionics