User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Closer

Enneagram
    1w2

Alice: generic ExFx...I'm not sure why she's being typed as an ENFP. I see nothing particularly ENFP about her. Wikipedia says about her character,
    Alice, on the other hand, has a polarized view of love—either you love someone or you don’t. She is a slate on which other people project their desires—an icon as well as a woman. Dan uses her as literary fodder, Anna uses her tear-stricken expression for expression of beauty, and Larry uses her body and what he knows of her past for sexual and emotional gratification. An orphan, she “exists to be reinvented.”Dan appears to think she is looking for a father figure—that he fulfills the father role for Alice, and uses that as part of his argument to get Anna to sleep with him.
    I wouldn't expect an ENFP to have a "polarized view of love."
    Dan: eSFP
    Larry: EsTJ...Love the heart/fist scene!
    Anna: IxTP can't tell which, although leaning towards InTP and it would explain her relationship with Larry to some extent.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTP

loved this movie on so many levles, seen it about 20 times (well I was working from home that year and playing dvds felt like company.... know bits of the script by heart)....

Dan: INTP - he is a dreamer but never quite gets there... the whole joke about sending Larry to the aquarium is more N type.

Larry: ENTJ...rational dude bit controlling

Anna: ISTJ.... when she is confronted by Larry her dialogue is very concrete, very factual rather than desciprtive (hence S). I think she likes to be in control of the situation with Dan, don't get the impression she is an F, but then she is on her second husband with a bloke on the side, so maybe can't be without a relatiosnhip.

Alice/Jane: INFJ..... certainly nothing ENFP about her... they are way more over the top.

Loved Alices character, thought that she ahd the symbolic role of saving Anna from being beaten by Dan (ie she got her name from the wall of heroic people who save people).

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I Love this film! And interesting characters to consider too.

For me:

Larry - ESTJ
    Anna - ISTP
    Alice/Jane - ENFP
    Dan - ISFP

Larry: "Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Go fuck yourself, you WRITER!"

Dan:
    Hello

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Larry: "Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Go fuck yourself, you WRITER!"

Dan:
    Larry has the best lines

Larry: Thank you for your honesty. Now f*ck off and die, you f*cked up slag.

MBTI
    intp

Here's my reasoning for why I Dan seems more of an NFP than an SFP to me. It's very simple: he doesn't live in the present moment, but always wants something that is not in the here and the now. When he's with Alice, he wants Anna. Then he's with Anna but leaves her because the relationship didn't turn out perfect in the beginning. Then he goes back to Alice and starts to talk about how she "was so perfect" at the moment of their first meeting and Alice has to remind him that she's still perfect. So, I think that Dan isn't very strong on Se, but instead has a strong but unhealthy Ne which makes him endlessly chase possibilities and, in the end, be left with nothing.

Why wouldn't Alice be an ENFP, though?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Dan- ENFP
    Anna- ISxJ
    Alice- ESFP
    Larry- Nothing but ESTP characteristics. He's one of the best examples of one actually.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    Here's my reasoning for why I Dan seems more of an NFP than an SFP to me. It's very simple: he doesn't live in the present moment, but always wants something that is not in the here and the now. When he's with Alice, he wants Anna. Then he's with Anna but leaves her because the relationship didn't turn out perfect in the beginning. Then he goes back to Alice and starts to talk about how she "was so perfect" at the moment of their first meeting and Alice has to remind him that she's still perfect. So, I think that Dan isn't very strong on Se, but instead has a strong but unhealthy Ne which makes him endlessly chase possibilities and, in the end, be left with nothing.

Why wouldn't Alice be an ENFP, though?
    Yeah that argument makes sense, he is rather idealistic.

But to me (being a stereotype writer) he's an introvert and that would make him an INFP. This makes his lack of self-awareness troubling because INFPs live very self-consciously. Besides I think his behaviour speaks of someone more in the moment. He doesn't think of the future or the consequences, he just acts. He's just following where his feelings take him and ISFPs are more inclined to do this. They take spontaneous action on their feelings, rather than thinking it all through like an INFP would. And I think the sort of idealism he has is something ISFPs possess too. I have an ISFP friend and she's 1000x more idealistic and romantic than me - I am naturally a mix of optimistic idealism and cynical realism.

I agree on Alice. A total ENFP and a fascinating character.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Dan - ESFP

Alice/Jane - ENFP

Larry - ESTP

Anna - ISFJ (But my first guess was ISTP. And I think Julia Roberts' wooden acting gives more of a TJ impression than her character)
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp