User Tag List

12 Last

Sniffles

Default Slavoj Zizek and Jürgen Habermas?

Can somebody classify the Leftist philosophers Slavoj Zizek and Jürgen Habermas?

[youtube="LhlOm6Ski-0"]ZIZEK -- Slavoj Zizek speaks.[/youtube]
    [youtube="7wW5JMc12"]Slavoj Zizek about European Graduate School EGS 2006 1/2[/youtube]

[youtube="jBl6ALNh18Q"]Jürgen Habermas Interview[/youtube]

I'm willing to guess Zizek is ENFJ and Habermas is INTJ.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

zizek is either entp or enfp. i could see either. dominant Ne gone fucking MAD! i love the astra taylor documentary on him, also the movie examined life with him and cornel west (soooo enfp!). they're both brilliant and hiliarious in equal measure. i'm guessing entp for zizek, he looks too coked out and too much spittle to be enfp.

habermas i have no idea. my friend is very into habermas but i'm not too familiar. a communicative theory of ethics, intj doesn't sound too crazy. Ni dom and Te practicality.

what do you think william james was? pragmatism as a whole? pierce and dewey too? maybe even george herbert mead (intj???) from the chicago school. i think there are a lot of things to unpack that would be very interesting and a strange critique of social theory.

i want to guess adorno, merleau ponty, husserl, horkheimer, gadamer, etc. various loose ends. but i don't know where to begin. i think adorno makes sense as infp. he's my infp friend's hero just like david foster wallace was. too much overlap.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Habermas is awesome.

I was exposed to his work in a policy development class a few semesters ago.

Legitimation Crisis! Kind of like what happened at the end of W's regime?

Also, my professor noted that Habermas stated something to the effect of "Humans are speaking creatures." and that our thinking and very reality is greatly affected by our use of language. He noted later in the semester that when he was younger Habermas had a speech impediment, and thought it interesting that facet of his life influenced his work.

INTJ seems to work for him nicely.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Zizek: ENFP

Habermas: INTJ
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

enfp instead of entp for zizek? i can sort of see either, but want to know why, why, why

MBTI
    ERTP

i've always thought of habermas as intppp if you're looking at his writing style (technical and constantly qualifying, like jung) and his ideas "the deliberative public" etc. and his dive into epistemology in knowledge and human interests. that's NTP-ground, concerned with establishing technical boundaries for knowledge.

zizek is crazy and ne driven but i am repeating myself :p
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Good thread topic Peguy. I'd say ENF/TP for Zizek and INTP for Habermas. The reason for the latter is because, unlike many (usually more contemporary) theorists in the tradition who reject altogether the need for a rational grounding (claiming that it is an unfortunate habit inherited from the rationalist tradition- for a good example of this I would recommend reading Alan G. Gross), Habermas is concerned with grounding rationality in communication itself. Retaining epistemological concerns when dealing with the social signals INTP in my mind. I agree with Blackwater.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

I can agree to ENTP for Zizek.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Zizek seems introverted to me.

I thought he would be an extravert as well until I read much more about his personal life and panic attacks. From my understanding, there is a verifiable neurological difference in brain chemistry between introverts and extraverts. Introverts process information through Broca's region and are hypersensitive to dopamine, as well as not converting adrenaline to dopamine. Extraverts process information directly bypassing the frontal lobes, and in fact require adrenaline to generate dopamine. Thus extraverts enjoy eye contact but it freaks introverts out -- extraverts enjoy observing but introverts like to talk and reflect. (Zizek has the hardest time observing -- he can't turn off his constant introspection).

If we think of dopamine as something akin to "narcissistic supply" -- something which gives our lives meaning, as opposed to merely happiness -- then I think it is plain to see that Zizek is an introvert. He does not require adrenaline, in fact he abhors it. Zizek suffers from crippling panic attacks, shyness, awkwardness and so on. He absolutely does not require adrenaline to feel good about himself. Introverts feel an adrenaline rush when the phone rings. We typically have a hard time making eye contact, have a lot of nervous tics etc. We also hate the sound of our own voice or watching ourselves on video. (Zizek notoriously avoids seeing himself speak).

That being said, my initial typing of him was ENFJ before I read about his personal life. Discovering that he has panic attacks and is deathly afraid of people (even going so far as to pretend he is in meetings to avoid having to meet with students) seems quite introverted to me.

He is definitely not an INFJ because they are averse to antagonism. INFJ prefers to keep the peace and make connections, and is ultimately on the side of mercy rather than justice. INTJ is very justice-oriented, and when Zizek says things like "I align myself with Jesus with the fiery sword who hates his parents" and so on, I can't help but think INTJ.

The other reason I would think Zizek is an INTJ is because we are often confused with ENTP, and that is one of the common typings for him. I myself have been confused with ENTP on numerous occasions. (We do share similar functions and weaknesses).

INTJ has extraverted thinking which soaks up anecdotes and stories. I know that when I write, it is chock full of jokes and little tidbits taken from my near-photographic memory of quotes and books I've read. I am disconnected from the present (which is my inferior function) and even more disconnected from the past (Si is the 8th function in the stack, the shadow of my inferior). I recognize these qualities in Zizek too: the disembodiment, the over-excited mind which is not present in the moment nor dwelling the past, but always in the realm of future possibilities -- always travelling forward and backward in time to draw conclusions and build systems.

My vote for Zizek is INTJ simply because it's the most similar to ENTP of the introverts. Since most people classify him as ENTP, and since he is definitely not an extravert, I think INTJ fits.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI

The other question is: what type is Hegel? Zizek idolizes Hegel even moreso than Lacan. I would presume that Zizek is either the same type as Hegel or the 'matching type' -- e.g. if Hegel is INTJ then Zizek would be ENTP (because we typically adore each other).