User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: David Letterman

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It's not so much Leno as The Tonight Show. Leno's a funny guy, but the demographic they're going for *coughSJcough* isn't interested in biting, subtle humor.
    It's ST, haven't you read the memo...

And take so Nyquil for that cough.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

ISFJs love Leno tho.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's not so much Leno as The Tonight Show. Leno's a funny guy, but the demographic they're going for *coughSJcough* isn't interested in biting, subtle humor.
    Conan taking over in 2009 will hopefully spin it in a different direction.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

My dad (and then myself, because it made sense) thought Letterman was grooming Craig Kilborn to take over for himself. Kilborn was my favorite, and reminded me a lot of Johnny Carson. It's too bad he quit to start a half-ass movie career in which I think he got one or two very small parts.

I would type Kilborn as ESTP off the cuff. Very Lando Calrissian, that guy, and full of honor and win, just like Letterman.

MBTI
    INXP

I don't think I've seen Leno.

I've seen a bit of Conan. He reminds me of Jonathon Ross a little, in a less rude way. More professional, too.

Who's that Scottish bloke? He's rubbish. Dishwater interviews, boo-hoo past, and not good with making the funnies.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP

I will say he definitely does strike me as introverted. He's not the kind of guy who would strike up a conversation in the grocery store because he likes your t-shirt, which I've seen ENTPs do.

He also demonstrates great character for a person of any type at all.
    He'd only do that if there were cameras on. I've heard many celebrities say that Letterman doesn't even talk to them when they go to commercial break. I once heard Jack Hanna, the zoo guy that's always on, give a lecture for a zoo benefit, and he said in all the years he's been on the show, he and letterman have never had a conversation beyond what you see on camera.

Letterman is definitely N. He's so random in the way his brain bounces from thought to thought. I agree with Jeffster, though--he hasn't really been funny for the past 10 years or so.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    He's so random in the way his brain bounces from thought to thought.
    That's SP humor. Ns are only random if you're an SJ...
    I don't wanna!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    That's SP humor.
    That's what I was about to say. SPs are great at randomness. And Letterman tends to focus on one word or phrase he decides is hilarious to him and he then repeats it over and over again throughout the show, then the next day it's something else. It's very easy to tell what bits are done by his writers and what is just his ad-libbing. He most likely has some N writers but he is personally SP. Punching the camera, throwing pencils, dropping fruit off of high buildings, covering himself in alka-seltzer and dipping himself in water, same thing with cereal and milk, random vocal instructions fed to the Deli guy, spontaneous and impulsive humor all the way. There's ample evidence to support his being an introvert, and he definitely strikes me as someone who tends to lean towards logical reasoning in his interviews/arguments and less to emotional value-type discussion.

So once again, I say ISTP.

These days, I think Jim Rome fills the spot as my favorite talk show host. His radio show that is, not his tv show. And his humor is very much like Letterman's early stuff. I think Rome is an ISTP also.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    That's what I was about to say. SPs are great at randomness. And Letterman tends to focus on one word or phrase he decides is hilarious to him and he then repeats it over and over again throughout the show, then the next day it's something else. It's very easy to tell what bits are done by his writers and what is just his ad-libbing. He most likely has some N writers but he is personally SP. Punching the camera, throwing pencils, dropping fruit off of high buildings, covering himself in alka-seltzer and dipping himself in water, same thing with cereal and milk, random vocal instructions fed to the Deli guy, spontaneous and impulsive humor all the way. There's ample evidence to support his being an introvert, and he definitely strikes me as someone who tends to lean towards logical reasoning in his interviews/arguments and less to emotional value-type discussion.

So once again, I say ISTP.

These days, I think Jim Rome fills the spot as my favorite talk show host. His radio show that is, not his tv show. And his humor is very much like Letterman's early stuff. I think Rome is an ISTP also.
    Hmmm, you may have a point there.

After reading the thread, I'm willing to concede on part of his type. But I'm absolutely utterly convinced that he's INxJ. He's too witty and insightful to be otherwise. And it's more obvious when he does his serious interviews, like his recent interview of John McCain.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari