User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Polygamy

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Polygamy

This was touched on in another thread but I thought I'd start another thread about it.

I saw some interviews with some polygamists not long ago. The people who I saw were not were forced into polygamy, they had made a conscious choice to be part of this practice. They were not part of a religious sect when they made the choice but later joined one just for the comraderie. It's not uncommon for one man to have 10 or 12 wives, ranging in ages from 18 and up. It made me wonder what motivated both the men and the women but that is a whole other topic.

Anyways, as I mentioned in the other thread, polygamists are first in line to use the same arguments and precedents set if gay marriage is legalized. They say, it is consentual and done out of love. They say, if one alternate form of relationships is legalized, then why shouldn't other forms of relationships be legalized too?

So what are your thoughts on this matter?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think that if people want to be in polygamous relationships, then they can, but it's not certainly not for everyone. It doesn't really bother me unless I feel someone is trying to tell me that it's a better idea. Keep to yourself, and I don't really care. I'll stick with monogamy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm just wondering why it's so unequal in the US... it's always polygamy, never polyandry!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

I just had this conversation, its contained within this thread;

Prop 8 in CA - INTP Central

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have posted before my feelings toward people's personal lives to simply live and let live. I don't want to know your personal life, but what you do with it is of little interest to me.

That being said, the fear of women being forced into polygamy is the same fear as, say, a woman being forced into an abusive marriage. It happens, unfortunately, but based on my own beliefs, I should be saying that I think polygamy should be allowed, as much as gay marriage should.

.. But I don't agree with it. I think it's a perversion of marriage.. I'm a one person for me kinda person.. so naturally I'd disagree with it. But it is true: If you allow marriage based on sexual preference, then that's a total step past polygamy.. which is the same sex, just more than one.

Nice thread.. Touchy subject I think for me, since although I disagree so strongly with it, my philosophy towards life would be to allow it. Does that make me a bit hypocritical?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

If I have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to be a part of something where she is sharing a husband with multiple other wives.

Of course most any women would rather not have to share a husband... most polygamy takes place in areas where it's already a norm, so women are brought up into it and told that it is good.

I have no problem with polygamy being taboo.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well I don't think that the analogy between gay marriage and polygamy is strong enough to be able to use that as a justification. I mean, having extra persons in the marriage contract is a completely different issue. Of course, then you get into the slippery slope arguments that "well, once you change it once [definition of marriage], there's no telling how many times you'll change it again." I think that's a bit fallacious.

But personally, I find polygamy a bit despicable. I wouldn't go out of my way to stop people if they wanted to do it, though.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    That being said, the fear of women being forced into polygamy is the same fear as, say, a woman being forced into an abusive marriage.
    What's even scarier to me is the number of women who would voluntarily choose to be in a polygamous marriage. There will be more men without wives.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well I don't think that the analogy between gay marriage and polygamy is strong enough to be able to use that as a justification. I mean, having extra persons in the marriage contract is a completely different issue. Of course, then you get into the slippery slope arguments that "well, once you change it once [definition of marriage], there's no telling how many times you'll change it again." I think that's a bit fallacious.

But personally, I find polygamy a bit despicable. I wouldn't go out of my way to stop people if they wanted to do it, though.
    I had been thinking this as well.. But I think, in terms of changing marriage.. I can't tell which would be more preferable to people if made to choose: continuing same sex and allowing more than one name on the contract.. or changing the sex issue but keeping the number at 1.

I know personally, multiple people in a marriage defeats the purpose of it entirely. People can "live" together, and "be" whatever they want.. but I'm not at all upset that polygamy isn't allowed nationwide. Gay marriage though.. I don't seem to have harsh feelings toward at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm just wondering why it's so unequal in the US... it's always polygamy, never polyandry!
    Think about it from a biological/reproductive perspective.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."