First 678910 Last

Thread: Polygamy

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, like the natural rights theory.
    And just about every post you've ever written.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And just about every post you've ever written.
    Just because you have trouble proving me wrong every time we argue, doesn't mean my arguments are not provable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Just because you have trouble proving me wrong every time we argue, doesn't mean my arguments are not provable.
    You've forgotten about the Constitution it seems, or you're conveniently ignoring that post.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You've forgotten about the Constitution it seems, or you're conveniently ignoring that post.
    The Constitution is a legal document, and I said "What rights? Legal rights?..." Did you miss that?

I was going to let that go, but since you brought it up..

MBTI
    intp

If I have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to be a part of something where she is sharing a husband with multiple other wives.

Of course most any women would rather not have to share a husband... most polygamy takes place in areas where it's already a norm, so women are brought up into it and told that it is good.

I have no problem with polygamy being taboo.
    I am ever-so-tickled when liberals reveal the unprincipled faddishness that so often passes for broadmindedness.
    TY.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ISTP

If I have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to be a part of something where she is sharing a husband with multiple other wives.

Of course most any woman would rather not have to share a husband... most polygamy takes place in areas where it's already a norm, so women are brought up into it and told that it is good.

I have no problem with polygamy being taboo.

You talk about cultural norms, and yet, your standard is merely a cultural norm. If I was to flip your comments, they'd read exactly the same from the other POV:

If I have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to be a part of something where she is limited to one husband without other wives.

Of course most women would rather not be limited to one lover... most monogamy takes place in areas where it's already a norm, so women are brought up into it and told that it is good.

I have no problem with monogamy being taboo.

I'm against polygamy out of enlightened self interest and no other reason. The only reason polygamy isn't universal is because men would be harmed by it. However, the small groups that spring up are effective defectors - most to gain, but little to lose (due to a lack of outside competition).

It works better when everyone cooperates and sticks with one mate.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You talk about cultural norms, and yet, your standard is merely a cultural norm. If I was to flip your comments, they'd read exactly the same from the other POV:

If I have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to be a part of something where she is limited to one husband without other wives.

Of course most women would rather not be limited to one lover... most monogamy takes place in areas where it's already a norm, so women are brought up into it and told that it is good.

I have no problem with monogamy being taboo.
    I have no inherent problem with cultural norms. There's some I like and some I don't.

MBTI
    ISTP

I have no inherent problem with cultural norms. There's some I like and some I don't.
    That's fine, but there is a difference between justifying a practise based on cultural norms versus supporting a cultural norm because it is justified.

The problem with the assumption of women "wanting" something or "not wanting" something is the same - it can be taught, and is taught. What we want is almost universally trained into us.

MBTI
    INTP

That's fine, but there is a difference between justifying a practise based on cultural norms versus supporting a cultural norm because it is justified.
    Of course.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm against polygamy out of enlightened self interest and no other reason.
    I operate on the assumption that natural rights exist out of enlightened self-interests-utilitarian ethics are much too easily twisted to say what people want them to say (you can also do that with rights-based justifications, but its far more difficult). I think utilitarian consequences must always be considered, but such consequences have to be VERY negative in order to override individual rights. In the case of polygamy, I think the negative consequences are sufficiently dire to overwhelm the immediate issue of individual freedom, while the consequences of gay marriage are not.