User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Polygamy

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm not against polygamy per se, not that it's "my thing." I worry about things which affect me or things which are forced on others.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'm not against polygamy per se, not that it's "my thing." I worry about things which affect me or things which are forced on others.
    Ditto.

I think people need to think more like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I worry about things which affect me or things which are forced on others.
    Like Polygamy?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Like Polygamy?
    Did you see "per se?" That means, like, "unless." As in "Unless there's some f'd up business going on."

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ideology neither begins nor ends with the government. That is merely one of the many apparatuses through which ideology may be transmitted. I feel like we may have been over this some place before....
    True but the state is still often the main centerpiece of ideological hegemony.

Well despite the fact that I'm going against my own professed inclination by posting on the topic again, I suppose that it sometimes irritates me when I have to sift through a bunch of seemingly irrelevant (note I said seemingly) posts to get to the stuff I want to read. I therefore don't want to continue (after this point) to contribute in that direction. After all, we could easily start a new thread about China and feminism and abortion. But as I have no other special knowledge of the topic I won't.
    Yes it must be an INTP thing.

I didn't mean that insultingly; to me it just seems whenever a discussion starts to really take off and become interesting, at that moment INTPs don't seem to want to continue anymore. And as a result, hardly any of the surface was scratched.
    More like an INTJ thing, if INTPc and INTJ Forum are anything to go by...
    No, INTJs like to nitpick minor details and dragg the discussion on indefinately, long after it becomes pointless.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

if it is what you are, then so be it.
    these are the only conditions
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

here's the thing, you do not need to be ok with sharing your husband to be open to polygamy. it's just whether or not someone has the CHOICE of doing it. what you do with that choice is your own business.

personally, i'm open to polygamy. at least to the point where i believe our marriage system right now is not the only way.

problem is, with our modern society, if you give a man the power to have multiple wives, you need to give women the same power. at the end of the day, if you open society up with polygamy, we will no longer have the classic family units we have now. rather than separate families, we'll have chain families. think about it, if both your mom and dad are having kids with different people, parenting will become more of a foreign concept. you no longer have that close bond you have with your immediate family.

those are obviously some negative points of polygamy, at least to our society now. having said that, i do feel for a polygamous family who came together out of love rather than lust/harassment. what did they do wrong in accepting that you can love more than one person equally? i feel like that we're taking away their freedom unnecessarily.

i'm pretty torn really. open, but torn. maybe the negative points were all just slippery slope, maybe it's just seeing past the immediate. i do believe that polygamy will be the new hot debate topic. i was actually thinking of writing a thesis on this.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    , if you give a man the power to have multiple wives, you need to give women the same power. at the end of the day, if you open society up with polygamy, we will no longer have the classic family
    lol

I don't think a polygamous society with women with more than one husband can exist.

The reason is that men will fight, and kill each other over the woman imo... until there's one man for every woman... seriously tho...

MBTI
    INTJ

I wholeheartedly believe if the people involved are mature enough theres nothing wrong with it.
    But that goes with almost every kind of relationship doesn't it?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by amorali View Post
    I wholeheartedly believe if the people involved are mature enough theres nothing wrong with it.
    But that goes with almost every kind of relationship doesn't it?
    yep
    its just hard to imagine with polygamy because of the many contingencies blocking the simple principle that you stated.
    I N V I C T U S