User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 104

Thread: Polygamy

  1. #41
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    From my understanding, it's not over ideological purposes per se. Rather when the one-child policy was set up, the assumption was that there would be equal numbers of births for boys and girls. But this ran up against the traditional Chinese views concerning the genders.

    Or am I missing something here?
    I was talking about sex-selective abortion, which is what the gender imbalance is commonly attributed to. They kill the female first-borns because they would rather have a boy. Of course, it could also be for economic reasons, since a boy could probably be expected to help the family out financially more than a girl. Not that this justifies the practice, but it just shows that the problem is not as simple as "we hate girls, so we'll kill them until we get a boy".


    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh Im sure Hmm doesn't mind.
    Maybe not, I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I find that hard to believe for more than one reason.
    ...

    But I think we've digressed long enough. Let us not attempt to derail the thread.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #42
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I was talking about sex-selective abortion, which is what the gender imbalance is commonly attributed to. They kill the female first-borns because they would rather have a boy. Of course, it could also be for economic reasons, since a boy could probably be expected to help the family out financially more than a girl. Not that this justifies the practice, but it just shows that the problem is not as simple as "we hate girls, so we'll kill them until we get a boy".
    Well then I guess we agree, but come from different directions. How about that?

    I just contended attributing the practice to "ideology", since I'm not aware of this being officially sanctioned by the government per se. As I said, the official line is to have equal births of boys and girls.

    ...

    But I think we've digressed long enough. Let us not attempt to derail the thread.
    *sigh* This must be some INTP thing I guess. Personally I dont mind if discussions go off in different directions. After all, in the end everything is interconnected anyways.

  3. #43
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So if I brainwash someone to agree to a negative situation (like killing themselves so their souls can board an awaiting spaceship) I should be let to do that to people? I shouldn't be arrested?
    If you aid and abet an adult in committing a crime, sure you would be partially culpable, and should be tried and convicted as such.

    There is nothing inherently immoral about polygamous unions.

    Safe, sane and consensual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    ^Makes a lot of moral and intellectual sense to me.

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  4. #44
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    If you aid and abet an adult in committing a crime, sure you would be partially culpable, and should be tried and convicted as such.

    There is nothing inherently immoral about polygamous unions.

    Safe, sane and consensual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    ^Makes a lot of moral and intellectual sense to me.

    There's nothing inherently immoral about it, it's the fact that most polygamous unions are not started between free-thinking adults but between middle-aged guys and teen aged girls who grew up in a religiously fundamentalist environment.

    That's mainly what I don't like about it, and if making it illegal and a taboo helps us as a larger society progress to what kind of society I want, I'm all for it.

    (oh, and I thought I heard you say in another thread that suicide shouldn't be illegal... if my, my last post applies.)

  5. #45
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There's nothing inherently immoral about it, it's the fact that most polygamous unions are not started between free-thinking adults but between middle-aged guys and teen aged girls who grew up in a religiously fundamentalist environment.

    That's mainly what I don't like about it, and if making it illegal and a taboo helps us as a larger society progress to what kind of society I want, I'm all for it.
    I'm not surprised. You've always struck me as this type of person.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #46
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well then I guess we agree, but come from different directions. How about that?

    I just contended attributing the practice to "ideology", since I'm not aware of this being officially sanctioned by the government per se. As I said, the official line is to have equal births of boys and girls.
    Ideology neither begins nor ends with the government. That is merely one of the many apparatuses through which ideology may be transmitted. I feel like we may have been over this some place before....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    *sigh* This must be some INTP thing I guess. Personally I dont mind if discussions go off in different directions. After all, in the end everything is interconnected anyways.
    Well despite the fact that I'm going against my own professed inclination by posting on the topic again, I suppose that it sometimes irritates me when I have to sift through a bunch of seemingly irrelevant (note I said seemingly) posts to get to the stuff I want to read. I therefore don't want to continue (after this point) to contribute in that direction. After all, we could easily start a new thread about China and feminism and abortion. But as I have no other special knowledge of the topic I won't.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #47
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not surprised. You've always struck me as this type of person.
    There's nothing you would like to remain illegal/become illegal that you would like society to remain/progress past?

    Like slavery or spousal abuse for example.

  8. #48
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    *sigh* This must be some INTP thing I guess. Personally I dont mind if discussions go off in different directions. After all, in the end everything is interconnected anyways.
    More like an INTJ thing, if INTPc and INTJ Forum are anything to go by...

  9. #49
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    There is a difference between an individual inflicting an unwanted and detrimental action upon someone else by way of force than there is between mutually desired actions exclusively made by, and upon, consenting adults.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  10. #50
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    There is a difference between an individual inflicting an unwanted and detrimental action upon someone else by way of force than there is between mutually desired actions exclusively made by, and upon, consenting adults.
    But I think some people would contest the degree to which we can consider certain populations as "agents". There are certainly many social forces which limit the amount of agency that an individual may have, and because of this there may be reason to suspect that the idea of "consent" is a bit of a sham (not that I necessarily do, but it could be argued).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. Polygamy
    By themightyfetus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 12:01 AM
  2. Polygamy: Do You Support It?
    By Passacaglia in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 02:32 AM
  3. Polygamy and Gay Marriage
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO