User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    So, if I start a gang that spans several states, Synarch's Synners, and we exhibit a pattern of criminality, which results in indictment for racketeering, our property should not be seized if membership in the gang has been determined as belonging to a criminal conspiracy under RICO?

Conspiracy law dictates exactly what you see here. If you associate with known criminals, you open yourself up to conspiracy charges.
    Not until after conviction.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

We have an idea in the U.S. called innocent until proven guilty. At least that was the plan.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

Assets used in the commission of a crime, in this case criminal conspiracy, are seized at the time of arrest.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

Assets used in the commission of a crime, in this case criminal conspiracy, are seized at the time of arrest.
    assets of people who aren't being indicted? and it's debatable whether or not the patch is actually used in commission of a crime. Let alone anything with the symbol on it. Banners? Motorcycles?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

Not always. Siezure of assets under civil forfeiture statutes doesn't require that anyone be charged with a crime. It can even be done without anyone being arrested.

You might want to read up on it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Constitutionally, there are to be returned if there is no conviction. You aren't supposed to be able to seize assets unless 1) they are evidence (which is supposed to be returned after the legal proceedings are finished); or 2) there is a conviction.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Not always. Siezure of assets under civil forfeiture statutes doesn't require that anyone be charged with a crime. It can even be done without anyone being arrested.

You might want to read up on it.
    This is straight-up thievery.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is straight-up thievery.
    I'm with you on that. Preach it, brother.