User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If I remember correctly the media actually came out with it first to criticize her, she didn't bring it up herself. Why the media would criticize her for havign a down syndrome baby and not killing it before birth... well, that should be obvious by now.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    If I remember correctly the media actually came out with it first to criticize her, she didn't bring it up herself. Why the media would criticize her for havign a down syndrome baby and not killing it before birth... well, that should be obvious by now.
    I'd be interested to see some documentation to prove that.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

now let's look on the bright side everyone... if Sarah Palin makes more money she can afford an even MORE expensive wardrobe, and at the expense of the American People instead of the RNC!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Why the media would criticize her for havign a down syndrome baby and not killing it before birth... well, that should be obvious by now.
    When did the media do this? Do you have a specific news outlet or show where someone did that in mind?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

^^Probably not.

On a side note, since this discussion is about Sarah Palin's intelligence, I think it would be pertinent to point out that the trend has been that presidents with higher (estimated) IQ's have generally been worse presidents (e.g., Nixon, Clinton). At least this is what I hear, though I haven't taken the trouble to research this extensively.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ

Please. The two situations are completely COMPLETELY different. One involves a 16 year old girl growing up in the ugliness of Hollywood stardom, whith a sister who's bat shit crazy. Because of everything surrounding the family, yes, it was appropriate to blame the parents for the screwed up mess the children keep finding themselves in.

Palin's daughter, on the other hand, got preganant at 17 to a guy she's going to marry, with a family situation that is FAR more normal than the Spears family. With the Palin family, nobody is suffering from any craziness and chaos. They're completely different situations and sets of circumstances.
    Sure, the situations are different, and I for one do think that much more blame is due the Spears' parents than Palin. But I also think that the degree of the disparity constitutes a double standard. Both daughters chose to take the risk, and both paid the price. One was brought up by a dysfunctional mother, and the other by a popular politician with an admirable family skills. The differences between the mothers do not however provide reason to automatically lay blame on one and portray the other as being somehow separated from the issue. The pundits rarely analyze the situation as you have; they tend to spout generalizations that sound good at the moment, and then they sound stupid when they later contradict themselves.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    ^^Probably not.

On a side note, since this discussion is about Sarah Palin's intelligence, I think it would be pertinent to point out that the trend has been that presidents with higher (estimated) IQ's have had the least successful presidencies. At least this is what I hear, though I haven't taken the trouble to research this extensively.
    The Clinton years are generally looked upon favorably, and he has a high IQ. But on the other side, Nixon was intelligent also...

I'd be interested in seeing a study or paper on this, maybe there is one out there..

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The Clinton years are generally looked upon favorably, and he has a high IQ. But on the other side, Nixon was intelligent also...

I'd be interested in seeing a study or paper on this, maybe there is one out there..
    I edited my post. I meant that the quality of president decreased as their IQ increased. So they could have had a decent presidency overall (due to the fact that they don't control most of what goes on), but been pretty bad presidents themselves, in their decisions and behaviors.

And yeah, I'd like to see a study as well.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I edited my post. I meant that the quality of president decreased as their IQ increased. So they could have had a decent presidency overall (due to the fact that they don't control most of what goes on), but been pretty bad presidents themselves, in their decisions and behaviors.

And yeah, I'd like to see a study as well.
    This guy seems to think the success of presidencies increase with IQ. But it doesn't seem like this was a serious study. I'd have to know what qualifies a "successful presidency" here.

So how much does intelligence matter in determining the success of a presidency?

Ryan Enos, a doctoral candidate in political science at the University of California at Los Angeles, grapples with that question on a blog (dubbed The Sprint) that he and other UCLA graduate students and professors are writing about the final leg of the 2008 race for president.

Mr. Enos has posted a diagram one of his colleagues assembled that plots presidents IQs against a numerical measure of their success in office. He concedes that the relationship is far from perfect but concludes that, in general, as a presidents IQ increases so does his success in that job.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Based on the previous presidents we've had, I would think that higher intelligence would be better than lower, but it's certainly not a decisive factor. I know I wouldn't call Nixon, Carter, or Wilson very good presidents.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"