User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'm pretty sure that rape kits get billed to insurance (if you have it) or to the state health insurance (if you do not). Unfortunately, they often don't cover the full cost, which sucks. There seem to be arguments concerning which agency should be footing the bill, and state and local governments are almost always cash-strapped. However, even if someone is stuck with a bill, they can usually avoid or delay paying for a long time, and states often end up being the payer of last resort for the truly indigent. It's a totally screwy system, and I believe the cost should be borne by the local police department, but I also would rather have this system in place rather than police departments not getting women proper care immediately because of budget and procedural restraints. And there are women's aid organizations who are set up to deal with just this sort of bureaucratic failing. I have no idea if they are any good in a place like Alaska.
    From a female viewpoint, the very IDEA of charging a VICTIM of crime for something as basic as a rape kit (which is helping out the state in its case) is downright abhorrable- it's like a slap in the face of someone who is already down.

I don't care how strapped for cash a state or city is- not paying for something like a rape kit is turning a cold shoulder on certain people who are more in need of help from the law enforcement community than ever.

What next- charging people who've been shot for running tests on the bullet?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I've seen estimates of Reagan's IQ being lower than Bush's 120-125.
    Surely half of us are above 100 and half below. And almost all of us cluster from 85 to 115.

If this is the case, then a leader of 100 would garner the most votes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Was the Sarah Palin rape kit thing ever substantiated?

I'm all for bitching about the Republican ticket as long as the bitching is about true things...
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Was the Sarah Palin rape kit thing ever substantiated?

I'm all for bitching about the Republican ticket as long as the bitching is about true things...
    Yeah, but people defending Palin say she "didn't know"... And in response:

"I find it hard to believe that for six months a small town, a police chief, would lead the fight against a statewide piece of legislation receiving unanimous support and the mayor not know about it," Croft said.

And now people are saying she had a direct role.

Palin's town charged women for rape exams - CNN.com
    Jacob Alperin-Sheriff: New Evidence: Palin Had Direct Role In Charging Rape Victims For Exams

MBTI
    ISTP

I've seen 120-something for him before Of course, different IQ tests make for different estimates of relative intelligence. Sometimes 140 is genius-level, sometimes it's closer to 155-160. I am sure he is more intelligent than the median American adult male, although he is probably about average (or slightly less) for the median American adult male of socioeconomic status and education level.
    Pretty much any validated IQ test centers around 100, SD of 15.

--

For other comments in the thread, ignorance <> IQ. And Palin is indeed ignorant, but her IQ is likely above average. Probably about one deviation above norm, maybe a little bit more. You can appear to be painfully stupid even with a higher IQ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I am willing to bet that she has a significantly higher-than-average IQ, and higher than many of her detractors'.
    Maybe, but she's stupid anyway.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    ^^Probably not.

On a side note, since this discussion is about Sarah Palin's intelligence, I think it would be pertinent to point out that the trend has been that presidents with higher (estimated) IQ's have generally been worse presidents (e.g., Nixon, Clinton). At least this is what I hear, though I haven't taken the trouble to research this extensively.
    I don't know how Clinton is perceived in the US, but here it's perceived as one of the best presidents of the last 30 years.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    From a female viewpoint, the very IDEA of charging a VICTIM of crime for something as basic as a rape kit (which is helping out the state in its case) is downright abhorrable- it's like a slap in the face of someone who is already down.

I don't care how strapped for cash a state or city is- not paying for something like a rape kit is turning a cold shoulder on certain people who are more in need of help from the law enforcement community than ever.

I don't agree with it, I was just explaining how it goes. No one would ever get turned away for a rape kit legally, and that is the most important thing. They need to reform the whole system, IMHO.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Actually, that's a question I'm curious about.

In the US, what happens if someone does shoot you? Do you pay medical? Sue the guy who shot you to cover them? What if he can't?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Would be a f-ing disaster. I cannot even begin imagine the consequences of her idiotic actions.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."