User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Whenever I hear anyone making public mention of the "PC police" (such as on television or some other mass media), it's almost always as a rhetorical move to discredit anyone who disagrees with them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    An example of what's not PC is to refer to a half-black/half-white person as a mulatto. Okay, no big deal. (err do we just call them "black" I guess?)

Things like this are harmless.
    Ah, okay. But there's no element of "truth" or "honesty" in this example, is there? The only reason we would refer to anyone as mulatto is because that is the term that was historically used to describe people of mixed black and white heritage. As such, it is subject to change. And if that population wishes to change it, why not? No one else has any stake in retaining the name, except for convenience and familiarity.

MBTI
    INFP

Here are a couple more -

Moron
    Idiot
    Retarded
    Cripple
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ah, okay. But there's no element of "truth" or "honesty" in this example, is there? The only reason we would refer to anyone as mulatto is because that is the term that was historically used to describe people of mixed black and white heritage. As such, it is subject to change. And if that population wishes to change it, why not? No one else has any stake in retaining the name, except for convenience and familiarity.
    I'm not sure I could find an example of truth or honesty being limited in any real way by PCness.

Unless someone is truthfully and honestly a racist or homophobic or sexist...

MBTI
    INFP

We have an interesting problem here where I live. The Sioux Indians.

The politically correct terms are now Lakotah, Dakota and Nakotah. The word Sioux came from the French trappers and traders and meant snakes.

But many native peoples still call themselves Sioux.

The word "squaw" has also caused a degree of discomfort because it is a referrence to a woman's sexual parts. Some places have actually changed their names!

People don't know what to say for fear of "offending" and the origin of the phrase "race card" indicates that many are quick to grab onto these opportunities to become incensed.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

How about the expression "we're pregnant?" How true is that effort to acknowledge a man's small participation in a nine month process?

I find it laughable.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Here are a couple more -

Moron
    Idiot
    Retarded
    Cripple
    Okay, I know terms that are potentially offensive, but how is this related to truth? Are you talking about the idea that some people seem to hold that doing away with the term will do away with the ailment? If so, I agree that it can get a little silly.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Okay, I know terms that are potentially offensive, but how is this related to truth? Are you talking about the idea that some people seem to hold that doing away with the term will do away with the ailment? If so, I agree that it can get a little silly.
    I think we're on the same page.

Moron and idiot were correct terms which were replaced by retarded which was replaced by developmentally disabled.

And now some people are clamoring that these folks are not disabled-
    They are other-abled.

What do you think of "We're pregnant?" Is that true or not?

Yes, it truly would be silly if it didn't cause so much legal hassle.

History is being rewritten by the politically correct crowd and I dare say a lot of it is being strongly slanted in the opposite, and equally, prejudiced direction.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by silversun
    The statement I made was so out of context and overstated that I think it would be obvious I'm not trying to reenforce any stereotypes of mentally retarded people. It's not like Palin actually exhibits real qualities that a mentally retarded person has. So there's absolutely no connection. There's not even enough evidence (I admit) to call her an idiot (in its definition). This is all under the assumption that you know I'm being insensitive/sarcastic and don't really "mean" it. And honestly everyone should know that I'm not REALLY trying to say that she's ACTUALLY mentally retarded. Someone being offended by this comment is just reenforcing and acknowledging the fact that there ARE stereotypes associated with mentally retarded people. You're practically saying YOURSELF that mentally retarded people are considered "stupid". Would you be offended if the statement was totally false, or there was no connection to the comparison?
    If I called her a whore or a witch or something, then yeah people would see the connection and be offended because these examples are all associated with femininity (similar to the old people argument). Even goth would be offensive for the same reason. These are not overstatements, they are blatant insults. Calling someone mentally retarded instead of stupid or idiotic can be considered an overstatement unlike these examples.
    If no one cared, like me, and if we all just stopped trying to be politically correct, maybe people would finally let go of stereotypes and people wouldn't be offended so much.
    Political correctness is ALL about stereotypes.
    If you're offended by something that's not "politically correct" you're basically implying the stereotype exists and that in itself is not being politically correct.
    If there was no stereotype/connection, you wouldn’t have made the statement at all. The stereotype exists. Acknowledging that it exists and that you are using it does not enhance this fact.

Think about it this way. You are expressing great dislike of Palin and your opinion that she has an egregious lack of qualifications. However it is a comic-overstatement that she is “mentally retarded”: Because although you think she is inept as a candidate for the Republican party, she is not possibly, not quite as hate-able or derideable as an actual “mentally retarded” person. You’ve co-opted the term “mentally retarded” to describe your generally poor opinion of Palin- reinforcing the stereotype.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei
    I recall recently getting into an argument with someone becaused I referred to their son as "black". To me, it's more politically correct, because it'd be ignorant to assume that all black people are from Africa.. African American isn't very accurate at all.. I suppose the mother didn't see things the same way.
    See, while I wouldn't think twice about calling someone "black" now that you've drawn attention to it, I can see how it can feel like it's denying a cultural heritage to the person in question. Everyone has their own boundary lines. It's not silly to be able to acknowledge that you can possibly understand where another person is coming from- even if you don’t agree.

I think we all have some words we wouldn’t use in certain situations out of respect for our audience or ourselves. An active choice. When we disagree with someone else’s choice, we call it “political correctness”.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yeah, well, I once heard Jay Leno's wife (on his show) refer to native Africans, who lived in Africa, and had never been to America, nor had their ancestors, as "African Americans." It was hilarious and stupid.