User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

im politically correct in certain situations, others, not so much. i hardly know what is defined as politically incorrect. if i offend anyone i can easily tell and talk my way out of it.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Frosty the Snowperson of An Indistinguishable Gender
    Speaking of which:
    Snowman is a sexist, racist: UK academic
    Shyam Bhatia, London
    Dec 22, 2000 17:30 Hrs (IST)

As snow starts to settle in the northern hemisphere, a perennial symbol of the festive season has been dismissed by a British academic as racist, sexist and politically inappropriate for the 21st century.

For Birmingham University lecturer Tricia Cusack the snowman is unacceptably white and male and his presence is "a reminder of masculine dominance, ordering and surveillance."

Cusack's 15-page paper on the representation of snowmen in Christmas cards also argues that they are "phallic symbols" which condemn women to second-class status in society...

..."Some members of cultural minorities in Britain find the central power relationship of Christmas threatening, not to speak of its whiteness -- a white Christ, a white snowman," she adds.....

Indiainfo.com -> News -> World -> Snowman is a sexist, racist: UK academic
    Well there you have it people, snow is officially now racist for being......um.....white.

Seriously, you just can't make this shit up.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by silversun View Post
    For example, if I said something sarcastic or silly about politics or politician, what types would be offended instead of understanding that I was trying to be humorous? Also, what if I just said something insensitive in general, but it wasn't about them personally?
    I'm almost unoffendable, and love non-politically correct jokes/comedy. I make jokes about race, religion and stereotypes constantly, although I try to avoid doing so with people I don't know well.

I also will admit that I can make some very insensitive comments at times, especially when it's about people that no one actually knows.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Speaking of which:

Well there you have it people, snow is officially now racist for being......um.....white.

Seriously, you just can't make this shit up.
    What about the yellow snow?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

These days, it seems like the politically correct thing to do is speak out against political correctness..

I don't mind being aware of what kind of language offends people and using that knowledge to keep things civil, it's only a problem when political correctness tries to stifle honest and open communication.

A lot of the time however, the people complaining about PCness were just being needlessly obnoxious.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes, backlash has made it very fashionable to be anti-PC. But I am wary of anyone who claims to be speaking "truths". What are some concrete examples of truths that would offend the "PC police"?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Okay, Orangey.

Here's a couple-

Broken family
    Unwed mother
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Now I'm afraid we're going to slip into definition haziness here.

Edit: Well, and values problems too.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yes, backlash has made it very fashionable to be anti-PC. But I am wary of anyone who claims to be speaking "truths". What are some concrete examples of truths that would offend the "PC police"?
    I guess the main fear is that political correctness will lead to actual censorship.

But really, the term PC is almost always used pejoratively. There really is no large sinister "PC police" movement.

MBTI
    INTP

An example of what's not PC is to refer to a half-black/half-white person as a mulatto. Okay, no big deal. (err do we just call them "black" I guess?)

Things like this are harmless.