User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Political correctness is primary whenever you care more about social harmony and hurt feelings rather than Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    When describing an object, I strive for the word that best conveys the objective reality of it. Political correctness mostly gets in the way of this goal.

When explaining a sentiment, I strive for the word that best conveys my feelings and subjective opinion of it. Political correctness mostly gets in the of this goal as well.

I mostly dislike political correctness, and while I question whether or not types are consistent or simple enough to be attributed degrees of political correctness, I would say that if they are, INTPs are very unlikely to be politcally correct.

Hm.. I wonder. I think I use politically correct terms a lot, even though I don't like them. If I had no fear of hurting others around me, I'd have no fear in what I said. As it stands.. I do value (much to my own dismay sometimes) the way others feel, and end up being nicer most of the time as a result.. The downside is, I end up losing meanings of things in the process.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Hm.. I wonder. I think I use politically correct terms a lot, even though I don't like them. If I had no fear of hurting others around me, I'd have no fear in what I said. As it stands.. I do value (much to my own dismay sometimes) the way others feel, and end up being nicer most of the time as a result.. The downside is, I end up losing meanings of things in the process.
    Of course one should be considerate of others' feelings and whatnot. I certainly am not arguing in favor of being a rude jackass just because somebody disagrees with you(which ironically is how many "offended" people act towards others). The problem is when the feelings of others somehow becomes more important than getting to the truth.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Of course one should be considerate of others' feelings and whatnot. I certainly am not arguing in favor of being a rude jackass just because somebody disagrees with you. The problem is when the feelings of others somehow becomes more important than getting to the truth.
    Thats correct as well.
    I have been known for saying some crude things, but definitely I do not cater to people as much as I'd like to.. I hate being walked all over.

I recall recently getting into an argument with someone becaused I referred to their son as "black". To me, it's more politically correct, because it'd be ignorant to assume that all black people are from Africa.. African American isn't very accurate at all.. I suppose the mother didn't see things the same way. :rolli:
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

So what if I said an overstatement, which (in my opinion) reflected the truth, but well was... an overstatement =)
    Like if I said I thought Sarah Palin was mentally retarded (somewhat of an exaggeration ) when in fact I do think some of the things she's said (regardless if you support her or have the same viewpoint) are insanely stupid/inconsistent with her party, etc.
    It's not like I'm saying something mean about YOU.
    Sorry for bringing politics into this. But it is sort of is a real example, haha.
    I - 67% N - 62% T - 22% J - 56%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I think it's a non-starter to say "polictically correct". It automatically has a negative connotation- of *unnecessarily* changing terms. What one person may consider unnecessary is completely different from another person's.

Do I sometimes rethink my phrasing in order to reach better accord? Sure. Choose words that aren't unnecessarily hurtful to others? Sure. Does that make me politically correct? Depends on whom you're asking.

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Here we go: YouTube - Oversensitive Witches That pretty much sums up what I think about it.

If they're offended by truth, it's their issue.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

MBTI
    INFP

I learned to speak that dishonest language well when I worked for the government. And I have been working on unlearning it since.

It's mass-speak, nearly thought control, from my perspective. And something I find unfortunate about it is that it drives prejudice underground, silences out of fear of social pressure.

My belief is that the unspoken becomes much more powerful than that which is in the light.

In the States we have made being offended a national hobby and the language of political correctness enables this tiresome trend.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The correct title should say "Political Correctitude".

Fix plix.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    Here we go: YouTube - Oversensitive Witches That pretty much sums up what I think about it.
    Haha that's funny
    I - 67% N - 62% T - 22% J - 56%

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by silversun View Post
    So what if I said an overstatement, which (in my opinion) reflected the truth, but well was... an overstatement =)
    Like if I said I thought Sarah Palin was mentally retarded (somewhat of an exaggeration ) when in fact I do think some of the things she's said (regardless if you support her or have the same viewpoint) are insanely stupid/inconsistent with her party, etc.
    It's not like I'm saying something mean about YOU.
    She freaked me out during the debate when she kept looking into the camera, and literally would NOT look away from it.

Sorry for bringing politics into this. But it is sort of is a real example, haha.
    Well this is about Political Correctness now isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    ROTFL! That's classic. Yeah I've dealt with those Wiccan types before as well.

I'm a devout Catholic, and I usually laugh at much of the stuff thrown at my tradition.