User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Political correctness is primary whenever you care more about social harmony and hurt feelings rather than Truth.
    I agree. The sad thing about PC-ness is, you can be PC and still be hurtful in implicative ways while using it to shroud this. And political correctness is almost aways excessive. It doesn't do anything really to prevent people from taking offense. It's just a way of formalizing things- and, interestingly enough I find, when you formalize things it's a way of distancing yourself/people from or dehumanizing whichever group you're trying not to offend. You make them sound like a whole other species. So the results of PCness are the opposite of what they try to bring.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, well, I once heard Jay Leno's wife (on his show) refer to native Africans, who lived in Africa, and had never been to America, nor had their ancestors, as "African Americans." It was hilarious and stupid.
    Yup. Also, I remember during the big OJ trial, a reporter talking about finding a hair on a cap belonging to an African-American individual. I wondered how in the world they could possibly determine the perpetrator's place of residence from analyzing a hair. It seems silly for African-American to equal "of African ancestry," across the board. I mean, I get WHY the term has become popular, but it just seems really inaccurate sometimes, for what is being conveyed.

MBTI
    INFP

The point of my last few posts has been to emphasize that not only is political correctness obfuscating our complicated race issues but it has insinuated itself into many facets of our society - disability, interpersonal relationships, social status, parenting, sexual preference and identity issues.

It is much larger than just the Black/White stuff which many focus on.

I'll go at this "honesty" thing once more. A woman who has a child and does not marry is, indeed, an "unwed mother," but because this has become an emotionally-loaded phrase we are no longer considered polite to name that truth.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    WXYZ

political correctness has a strong association with Fe.
    Sorry for typo, I have poor english and I don't like to edit my posts

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by energy View Post
    political correctness has a strong association with Fe.
    As a person with secondary Fe, I resent that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Political Correctness

Do you believe in the general idea of trying to be 'politically correct'?

Do you think a system of rules that are oriented around political correctness does more good than bad? Should we have a certain degree of it? Is the degree that we have now too much / too little?

If you belong to a group that politically correct regulations / social expectations are geared towards, have they made you feel more or less comfortable overall?

Any other random thoughts you have on the topic also welcome

--------------------------------

My opinion is that the degree to which we practice political correctness in the US is complete bullshit. It's never made sense to me at all.

"Hey, let's help integrate these groups into society by making rules that apply just to them!" This just singles them out more, and makes everyone even more aware of their differences with each other.

I would personally think that being referred to as "African American" would be more awkward and offensive than being referred to as "Black". (as one example)
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    INFP

I learned PC when it was a new language style. And I used that dishonest language for about twenty years out of employment necessity.

It began to grate on me as I kept bumping into the inconsistencies. I no longer have to use it and have finally developed the courage to discard it for a more honest way of speaking from my personal observations. There's a tremendous amount of social pressure to use it. Or at least was in my group of friends.

And over time I have watched special interests groups pervert what began with good intentions into the usual self-serving drivel.

I find myself slipping into PC on occasion. Habit and that compulsive urge to be mindful of the feelings of others. Also, if people don't know me well, given the current social climate, I don't want to be perceived as a lout.

With those I know I am most comfortable speaking bluntly from my own perspective. It was a lot of fun to see some of my former coworker's jaws drop when I stopped using the governmentally-reinforced euphemisms!

I have my prejudices, as we all do. Generally they are centered around behavior rather than any group of peoples. And I am not so reticent anymore to allow the flawed pieces to show. Work in progress. Know what needs more work and don't particularly need to hide it from others.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Oh. Guess I missed that thread. . .

MBTI
    ENTJ

This reply looks like a job for CarlinMan.

YouTube - george carlin - soft language
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^