User Tag List

First 25333435363745 Last

Results 341 to 350 of 520

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Jack, would you say the Bush administration, specifically the techniques used to erode the rights of the people, could be comparable to Hitler?

    What got me to bite at your bait was the comment of how you would rather have 8 more years of Bush than have Obama elected. Otherwise I would have likely snickered and moved on...
    I said 16 years. I disagree with some Bush policies, such as the patriot act, but they pale in comparison. I'd rather have a "paranoid uncle" state than a nanny state if I have to choose.

  2. #342
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You've said it. But it has to start somewhere. Hitler actually had to convince those around him, namely The German People, to put him in power, before he actually was in power.


    Reagan didn't succeed to the same degree as the above, though some did have that religious devotion to him.
    So do you even fault politicians for trying to use charisma to gain political support? Can you really blame them for trying to get people to like their personality in order to garner as much support as they can get?

    If Obama gets elected and actually starts manipulating and controlling and censoring the media, then your Hitler/cult of personality comparison will turn out to be more apt. But this most likely will not happen, especially to the degree Hitler did it.

  3. #343
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Udog: If you mean fanning the flames of hate against a certain group of people in order to encourage nationalism, yes.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #344
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So do you even fault politicians for trying to use charisma to gain political support? Can you really blame them for trying to get people to like their personality to garner as much support as they can get?
    Blame, not really, in as much as you can't really "blame" anyone for anything they do, because it's in their sick little natures.

    Obama's strength is his charisma. Without it, he's a fool, and worthless. Why elect a mouth? Because mouths are good at convincing people to do things is the answer, and I dislike it.

  5. #345
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    if mccain supporters are really starting to get desperate and search for all sorts of irrational arguments, i think they would do a better job if they just orchestrated a bombing of some national monument and blamed it on foreigners.

  6. #346
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    if mccain supporters are really starting to get desperate and search for all sorts of irrational arguments, i think they would do a better job if they just orchestrated a bombing of some national monument and blamed it on foreigners.
    Woooooooooooooow. If anyone has the gaul to call me a conspiracy theorist after that, be prepared cus I'm gonna rip you a new one.

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    It's not desperation, Nomad, it's disgust. I do wish McCain was as likable as he is reasonable, so he would get elected, but I don't make shit up, regardless.

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    977

    Default

    When faced by retards, Hussein Obama has no choice but to win.

    An other little example

    YouTube - Sarah Palin: Anti-Science, Anti-Research, Anti-Intelligence

    Don't mind the dramatic music ...

  9. #349
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You do realize that it's possible to have valid comparisons to Hitler, right?
    Sure. Some are being made in the more recent posts.

    I don't really see Obama = Hitler, but I do see unreasonable and undeserved praise of Obama, and can see how that would trigger that reaction in others.

    The point of the Godwin argument is to undermine the credibility of the poster by dismissing the argument out of hand. It's actually weak debate strategy. It's even more annoying than using a Hitler comparison where it doesn't apply because people who mention Godwin usually think they're being witty or clever, when they're actually anything but.
    I didn't really see a developed case for Obama's similarity with Hitler when I made my post. Perhaps I missed it.

  10. #350
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Woooooooooooooow. If anyone has the gaul to call me a conspiracy theorist after that, be prepared cus I'm gonna rip you a new one.
    Umm... Im not speaking of the past. Im speaking of what would probably really work at this point in the campaign.

    The McCain supporters I know strictly want less taxes because they make over 250K. I can't imagine why else they would, altho what people who don't make 250K believe is their own choice. Most people who make that much money, could just invest in a super tax lawyer tho... lolz

Similar Threads

  1. what the f*ck has obama done so far?
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  2. How well is Obama doing with the economy?
    By Giggly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  3. Is Obama the Messiah?
    By booyalab in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 02:01 AM
  4. Obama and McCain on MNF
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  5. Is Obama the next FDR?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO