User Tag List

First 24323334353644 Last

Results 331 to 340 of 520

  1. #331
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    There is a great deal of commonality between Obama and Hitler in technique. Anyone who says they don't both have a cult of personality is oblivious.
    then why not compare obama to oprah winfrey, teddy roosevelt, or colbert. why hitler specifically.

    =)

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    then why not compare hitler to oprah winfrey or colbert. why hitler specifically.

    =)
    Well, I hate Oprah too, so that's a start. They're all ENFJs, by the way. (I don't hate ENFJs unless they force their cockeyed idealistic views on people like Hitler, Obama, and Oprah do.)

    JFK had a cult of personality as well. He was/is much more revered than his actual policies would explain, because he was a good speaker.

  3. #333
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    JFK had a cult of personality as well. Much more revered than his actual policies would explain, because he was a good speaker.
    I don't care if people are irrational or not. As long as they are aware of it. =)

  4. #334
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Stop analyzing me! You are never correct! And I have to correct you even when it makes me look hateful and biased!

    There is a great deal of commonality between Obama and Hitler in technique. Anyone who says they don't both have a cult of personality is oblivious.
    oh.. you were being serious...

    Cults of personality usually occur within dictatorships, and it's when people already in power use and control the media to portray an extremely positive image of themselves.

    Obama is just charismatic, and that can win (often stupid) people over. Just like how people worship Reagan.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I don't care if people are irrational or not. As long as they are aware of it. =)
    If people become aware of it, they tend to stop being irrational.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Cults of personality usually occur within dictatorships, and it's when people already in power use and control the media to portray an extremely positive image of themselves.
    You've said it. But it has to start somewhere. Hitler actually had to convince those around him, namely The German People, to put him in power, before he actually was in power.

    Obama is just charismatic, and that can win (often stupid) people over. Just like how people worship Reagan.
    Reagan didn't succeed to the same degree as the above, though some did have that religious devotion to him.

  7. #337
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    If people become aware of it, they tend to stop being irrational.
    no, i think its possible to be self aware of irrationality and perfectly okay with it.

  8. #338
    Senior Member Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm astonished at everyone's astonishment. Don't you all know that this is the way the game of modern politics is played? The major parties invented the game, and slander-without-technically-provable-slander is a tactic that dates back at least to the Whig party.

    It's an absurdly bankrupt system that inevitably produces a winner who is ethically compromised.
    I'm astonished that anyone thinks any of these cynical political tactics are modern. I bet in the first struggle for clan power Caveman 1 started a rumor that Caveman 2 didn't know shit about fire.

  9. #339
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Sorry... I didn't like Hitler's good name being associated with Obama like that.
    You do realize that it's possible to have valid comparisons to Hitler, right?

    The point of the Godwin argument is to undermine the credibility of the poster by dismissing the argument out of hand. It's weak debate strategy. It's even more annoying than using a Hitler comparison where it doesn't apply because people who mention Godwin usually think they're being witty or clever, when they're actually anything but.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #340
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Jack, would you say the Bush administration, specifically the techniques used to erode the rights of the people, could be comparable to Hitler?

    What got me to bite at your bait was the comment of how you would rather have 8 more years of Bush than have Obama elected. Otherwise I would have likely snickered and moved on...

Similar Threads

  1. what the f*ck has obama done so far?
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  2. How well is Obama doing with the economy?
    By Giggly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  3. Is Obama the Messiah?
    By booyalab in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 02:01 AM
  4. Obama and McCain on MNF
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  5. Is Obama the next FDR?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts