First 21293031323341 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Saying that someone has worked with a terrorist in the past is not the same as implying that they are a terrorist, either, so your point is invalid.
    Excuse me?

Let's look at context here: Why do you think it's being brought up, OVER and OVER and OVER again?
    So that the name "Obama" can be equated with "terrorist."

That's the emotional connection being leveraged.
    Do you REALLY not see that?
    If that was NOT what the point was, then McCain would have stopped that attack long ago. He's trying to get the distaste and hatred for terrorists to rub off on Obama.

Big freaking deal if he's not calling Obama a terrorist literally, the impact is still the same... and he couldn't do that because obviously Obama is not a terrorist. Obama could disprove that. Here he can just make insinuations that Obama can't disprove.

So the point's not invalid at all. It's part of McCain's strategy.

And calling someone "computer illiterate" is not nearly anywhere near the same thing as saying they pal around with terrorists. Lord knows that McCain has had his own relationships with undesirables in the past, and dragging them out would be as lame as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Excuse me?

Let's look at context here: Why do you think it's being brought up, OVER and OVER and OVER again?
    So that the name "Obama" can be equated with "terrorist."

That's the emotional connection being leveraged.
    Do you REALLY not see that?
    If that was NOT what the point was, then McCain would have stopped that attack long ago.

The point's not invalid. And calling someone "computer illiterate" is not nearly anywhere near the same thing as saying they pal around with terrorists. Lord knows that McCain has had his own relationships with undesirables in the past, and dragging them out would be as lame as well.

Your point IS invalid, actually. The reasons the terrorist charge is being repeated over and over again are that A) it's one of the few straws the McCain campaign has left at which to grasp; and B) after the Reverend Wright fiasco, Obama looks weak when it comes to associations with radicals from his days in Chicago. You must have blinders on here, because you're just wrong.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Your point IS invalid, actually. The reasons the terrorist charge is being repeated over and over again are that A) it's one of the few straws the McCain campaign has left at which to grasp; and B) after the Reverend Wright fiasco, Obama looks weak when it comes to associations with radicals from his days in Chicago. You must have blinders on here, because you're just wrong.
    The terrorist charge is all a part of the McCain campaign trying to shape public perception and paint Obama as "risky" "threatening" "hiding something"..etc.. The A) and B) points you listed have truth to them as well.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

There are plenty of us who've never met anyone in the McCain campaign who think Obama is risky/threatening/DEFINITELY hiding SOMETHING.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Making a vague link between a former terrorist and a presidential candidate is TECHNICALLY not the same thing as expressly calling a person a terrorist, but for the purposes of this campaign, that's the connection they're banking on uninformed people making. And based on some of those campaign rally videos, it's worked. The McCain campaign is giving us the dots in the express hope that crazy people will connect them. That's nearly as good as implying. (Edit: But of course, if there weren't uninformed people out there, they wouldn't do it).

As lame as the McCain-technology smear is, at least it's based in somewhere in the universe of verifiable truth.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    There are plenty of us who've never met anyone in the McCain campaign who think Obama is risky/threatening/DEFINITELY hiding SOMETHING.
    Well that's okay if you independently reach that decision. I guess. But we're talking about what the campaign itself is doing/hoping to do, not saying that all people who are suspicious of Obama recieved their opinion solely from the McCain campaign.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hmm. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I agree that it might be a tactical maneuver (as you describe) in addition to what I said earlier; but it's been an eye-opener for me to realize that the overt implications of someone's misrepresentations of another person during a campaign are actually not perceptible to some voters.

It explains a lot of my frustration with the last two voting processes. Some people either don't know or don't care about slanderous implications of comments made by the candidates.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

I'm astonished at everyone's astonishment. Don't you all know that this is the way the game of modern politics is played? The major parties invented the game, and slander-without-technically-provable-slander is a tactic that dates back at least to the Whig party.

It's an absurdly bankrupt system that inevitably produces a winner who is ethically compromised.

MBTI
    ISTP

It explains a lot of my frustration with the last two voting processes. Some people either don't know or don't care about slanderous implications of comments made by the candidates.
    That's why it works. Association works under the radar of perception. And the perception of them is dependent on existing world view (filtering of the association). Almost all associations require rationalisation, ranging from "that's not what he said!" to "of course it's true, look at his <name><skin color><dress code><...>".

The decision on interpretation comes before the reasons themselves - it's not that they don't care at all - it's literally just filtered out of their awareness. It is exceptionally hard to get past this, and virtually impossible to do it from the outside.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hmm. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I agree that it might be a tactical maneuver (as you describe) in addition to what I said earlier; but it's been an eye-opener for me to realize that the overt implications of someone's misrepresentations of another person during a campaign are actually not perceptible to some voters.

It took you how many elections to realize that most people vote based on personal biases and cartoonishly inaccurate characterizations of major party candidates? I am not trying to be a dick here at all, but you're an intelligent poster, and old enough to vote. Didn't you see how this game is played pretty much from the beginning? The voting public, in general, is completely and totally ignorant, even (sometimes, especially) the people who are totally involved and have the signs on the lawn and the whole thing. For the vast majority of people, it's half-beauty pageant, half-sports event. They want to show off their colors, and they want to be on the winning team.

The media is complicit in it, too. They have the analysis and the pundits talking about policy and demographics, but mainly it's about personalities and speculation on the horse race. People eat it up, reporters keep their jobs with travel and respect and expense accounts, and the corporate bosses get rich.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"