User Tag List

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 520

Thread: Is Obama Really Going to Win?

  1. #271
    Senior Member Array ZiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, I don't. It simply shows either poor judgment or a willingness to forgive terrible criminal acts for political benefit, or both. It simply reflects poorly on him. If he came right out and said, point-blank, "This guy was big in the community in Chicago and I heard he had a loony past, but I worked with him anyway. When I later found out he was an unrepentant terrorist, I punched him in the nose, left the organization, and I never spoke to him again," I'd be very impressed.
    I understand you. I just don't understand why some keeping beating the point to death, because come the day after election day it probably won't be mentioned again. Or maybe it's just me being sick of this campaign season.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

  2. #272
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I may have some prejudices. However, Obama is not preying upon my fears, unlike what Palin and McCain are doing.
    Because your fears will become reality in short time if we don't elect the right people (though I believe it'll go to crap either way, just that one path will offer more speed bumps and opportunities for the public to stop its course). It's like telling a kid not to walk in the street at night because they could get picked up by a molester. Yea, the kid might complain that that's scary talk, but you know it's true and for their own good.

  3. #273
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I may have some prejudices. However, Obama is not preying upon my fears, unlike what Palin and McCain are doing.
    Regarding this specific issue, neither McCain nor Palin have accused Obama of being a closet muslim. Both sides have had the truly nasty attacks (with the notable exception of Palin's statement that the Ayer's connection reflected outright friendship) done by supporters on their behalf.

  4. #274
    Senior Member Array Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Because your fears will become reality in short time if we don't elect the right people (though I believe it'll go to crap either way, just that one path will offer more speed bumps and opportunities for the public to stop its course). It's like telling a kid not to walk in the street at night because they could get picked up by a molester. Yea, the kid might complain that that's scary talk, but you know it's true and for their own good.
    lol, so what's the "molester" here?
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #275
    Senior Member Array Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Regarding this specific issue, neither McCain nor Palin have accused Obama of being a closet muslim. Both sides have had the truly nasty attacks (with the notable exception of Palin's statement that the Ayer's connection reflected outright friendship) done by supporters on their behalf.
    McCain's done a great deal of "Who IS Obama, anyway?" stuff. To his credit, he did at least defend Obama's character when people expressed these fears. But he and his campaign created that monster. The worst Obama has done is call McCain "erratic."
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #276
    darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    7,527

    Default

    I found the following quote from this link
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDobbs
    The only hard facts that have come out so far are the $200 contribution by Ayers to the Obama re-election fund, and their joint membership of the eight-person Woods Fund Board. Ayers did not respond to e-mails and telephone calls requesting clarification of the relationship. Obama spokesman Bill Burton noted in a statement that Ayers was a professor of education at the University of Illinois and a former aide to Mayor Richard M. Daley, and continued:

    ...

    Whatever his past, Ayers is now a respected member of the Chicago intelligentsia, and still a member of the Woods Fund Board. The president of the Woods Fund, Deborah Harrington, said he had been selected for the board because of his solid academic credentials and "passion for social justice."

    "This whole connection is a stretch," Harrington told me. "Barack was very well known in Chicago, and a highly respected legislator. It would be difficult to find people round here who never volunteered or contributed money to one of his campaigns."
    And another from this link
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahBaxter
    Ayers was loosely involved in Obama’s election as an Illinois state senator in the late 1990s, when he was introduced to local activists at a meeting in his house. He also donated $200 to Obama’s reelection campaign in 2001.
    It sounds like that meeting in Ayers house and the $200 campaign donation is all that is verified at this point. Is there evidence that a fundraiser for Obama was hosted by Ayers? That point seems to be contested as a conflation of the single house meeting. The verified facts paint a rather different picture of incidental support as opposed to suggesting that Ayers is in some way responsible for the start of Obama's political career. If the latter can be verified, could someone post links?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    It might be fine for some people, but I rather not live in a world where people think it is okay for dolphins to rape each other.

  7. #277
    Order Now! Array pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    McCain's done a great deal of "Who IS Obama, anyway?" stuff. To his credit, he did at least defend Obama's character when people expressed these fears. But he and his campaign created that monster. The worst Obama has done is call McCain "erratic."
    I actually think the worst Obama has done is to paint this picture of McCain-Bush chumminess, when it's widely known that they dislike each other. McCain, in particular, despises Bush and Cheney. Of course, most Americans don't know any better, and see the (-R) next to their names, and figure it must be true.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #278
    Order Now! Array pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Bill Ayers is not "respected" by anyone who has both a brain and a conscience.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #279
    darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    7,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Bill Ayers is not "respected" by anyone who has both a brain and a conscience.
    "Respected" isn't referring to personal opinion or the moral position. In my post I am referring to the fact that he has a post as a distinguished professor at a prominent university and serves on important boards. Those posts are incredibly competative and few people achieve them. His position in society is defined as "respected" whether or not it should be.

    But I would like to know the facts about the alleged Ayers fundraising for Obama. If there is a link that states date, time, location, number in attendance, funds raised, etc. to verify that it happened and that Ayers hosted or organized it, I would like to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    It might be fine for some people, but I rather not live in a world where people think it is okay for dolphins to rape each other.

  10. #280
    Order Now! Array pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    "Respected" isn't referring to personal opinion or the moral position. In my post I am referring to the fact that he has a post as a distinguished professor at a prominent university and serves on important boards. Those posts are incredibly competative and few people achieve them. His position in society is defined as "respected" whether or not it should be.
    Respect doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's something that people give you or don't give you. People that give him respect either don't have brains or don't have consciences, or they don't have either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. what the f*ck has obama done so far?
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  2. How well is Obama doing with the economy?
    By Giggly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  3. Is Obama the Messiah?
    By booyalab in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 02:01 AM
  4. Obama and McCain on MNF
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  5. Is Obama the next FDR?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •