User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The kind of commune I would be interested in would allow personal property and individual living space, but members would cooperate in childcare, food prep, and things like that. Really more practical things, the philosophy would be left up to the individual. And I would still wash my hair.

Oh, did I get it wrong again.
    ajblaise, are you talking about communes where people are mostly poor and dirty and share things? (and are stoned a lot)
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They aren't all "loose" I don't think. I'm reading about one that's fairly structured and even has a 42 hour work week. Twin Oaks Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , but one of their core values is feminism, so they're obviously not you...
    Oh, okay...
    No, I don't want to live like that. There's a whole big, wonderful world.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

How are most communes contaminated by society in your eyes?
    Hmmm... I have to compress something very elaborate into something very simple.

The way humans behave toward one another is very heavily influenced by need, and access to what is needed. The most egalitarian peoples' in the world are ones living in very harsh environements, like African deserts. The reason is that they know they all need acheive to survive. You can't afford to be a selfish or frivilous prick in those places.

I honestly don't believe human beings will be so egalitarian in any other environment. You take a commune in the US, and you've got way too many options to avoid that kind of obligation. Even if people are not immediately exercizing those options, they will always be reassured by having the idea in the back of their heads. The constructed nature of the commune means that the needs to maintain are not so real. They are not so severe. The incentive is gone, and so there's plenty of room for typical, human pettiness to manifest itself.

There seems to be lots of successful communes in existence today.
    Which ones? And how are we defining success in this case?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    There's a whole big, wonderful world.
    That's probably the main reason I wouldn't join one. There's too much stuff going on in society that I want to do. Maybe if the commune was near a city like NYC or LA and had wireless internet.

MBTI
    ISTJ

That's probably the main reason I wouldn't join one. There's too much stuff going on in society that I want to do. Maybe if the commune was near a city like NYC or LA and had wireless internet.
    Oh, geez...great commune spirit.

Yes.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hmmm... I have to compress something very elaborate into something very simple.

The way humans behave toward one another is very heavily influenced by need, and access to what is needed. The most egalitarian peoples' in the world are ones living in very harsh environements, like African deserts. The reason is that they know they all need acheive to survive. You can't afford to be a selfish or frivilous prick in those places.

I honestly don't believe human beings will be so egalitarian in any other environment. You take a commune in the US, and you've got way too many options to avoid that kind of obligation. Even if people are not immediately exercizing those options, they will always be reassured by having the idea in the back of their heads. The constructed nature of the commune means that the needs to maintain are not so real. They are not so severe. The incentive is gone, and so there's plenty of room for typical, human pettiness to manifest itself.

Which ones? And how are we defining success in this case?
    This is the one I'm reading about right now: Twin Oaks Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , there are a lot similar to this. Can you apply your theory about the nature of communes to them?

I define a successful commune as one that has seemingly happy and content residents. Longevity and return-rate is another success indicator.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I am fascinated by this place:

The Farm Community - Summertown, TN

I learned about them about ten years ago. A woman there has been delivering babies for 30+ years with amazing rates of healthy deliveries and low complications. Her name is Ina May Gaskin. She wrote a book in the 70s called Spiritual Midwifery which I read, laughed at, and secretly loved when I was expecting my first child. They're very hippie, which I would not quite fit with but I'm not exactly anti-hippie. I'm just...probably a little more cynical than they'd like. Or something. Maybe I overestimate my own cynicism. I also like modern convenience and access to city activity a bit more than I think would be considered acceptable to the Farm folks. At the same time, I do sometimes fantasize about living intentionally & "off the grid," as it were.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

while I find the idea of a laid back lifestyle rather appealing, I wouldn't want to live on a commune

I don't like sharing my personal space

I don't like being touched by strangers

I'm a picky eater and wouldn't trust the cooks in the communal kitchen to serve what I wanted to eat

where would I earn the money to travel to different countries and such?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

As long as everyone is there voluntarily and they provide a healthy lifestyle for their children, livestock, etc., then they're OK by me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

I've taken a couple of retreats in health-based communities.

They were useful but I don't think I could live permanently that way. Just provided a little more "me" time to focus on myself. Meditative. Generally quiet. Most physical things were done for me so I could deal with my issues. Weekly entertainment.

I would think that over time that atmosphere would begin to revert to what society in general feels like. There have been a pretty wide variety of types and styles - the organizers, the caretakers, the "party gang," the whiners, the troublemakers, the slackers, the withdrawn ones. Pretty much like RL only the topic stays the same.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer