veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    When he got his initial boost from picking her, nobody knew who she was or saw her in action. As soon as the lights turned on her, the magic was gone.

Now most analysts agree that the race is out of the GOP's hands, and they just have to hope for some really crazy-ass breaking news in about two weeks time. This formerly close election is currently skirting on the possibility of being a landslide.
    That's a bunch of crap. Most people still know very little about Palin, and McCain selecting her will likely not have much of an effect one way or the other. Response in polls taken about Palin have been very positive for the most part, though. There has been no "OMG now that I know her I totally cant vote for McCain!" sentiment outside of media blowhards. And your second paragraph is also not true. The election isn't currently doing anything, as the polls aren't open. There is early voting, but the overwhelming majority of people still vote on election day, and the only polls that matter are the ones in the individual states that day when people actually cast their ballots. There are still several states in the "toss up" category and several others where one candidate's lead in polls is very slim. The nationwide spread is meaningless as the popular vote does not determine the winner anyway.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I disagree. I can't think of a more generally well-respected figure that has made a public endorsement for either candidate. Normally the sitting incumbent would be the most influential endorsement, but obviously that is not the case this time around. Powell's endorsement will mean a lot with right-leaning centrists, who are the same people McCain desperately needs. And the timing will only increase its effectiveness.
    Do you know anyone who has decided who to vote for based on another person's endorsement?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    That's a bunch of crap. Most people still know very little about Palin, and McCain selecting her will likely not have much of an effect one way or the other.
    Well, one person doesn't a trend make. But I was undecided and leaning toward Obama until McCain selected Palin. That cemented my vote. I think that generally speaking, the VP selections don't mean a whole lot when people decide who to vote for. But I think in this case, the combination of McCain's age and Palin's shortcomings make for a situation where VP selection is a legitimate issue.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Powell was never as far right as his association with the Bush administration placed him in the minds of a lot of Americans (especially around here, where I heard people say "now that's a good, god fearing n*****" ). I listened to him speak when he came by my university last year, and have read a few of his works and have found the man to be rather balanced politically and personally as well, so I certainly would have my doubts as to him supporting a candidate based on race alone. Or party alone.

On another note- some of us white people are voting for Obama because he's a DEMOCRAT- not because he's black!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Franklin Street meetup on 11/4?
    I prefer Weaver, though apparently there are signs at the market prohibiting dancing. I think they'll make an exception for Obama Day, though.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Agreed. People simply do not care about Ayers. They have bigger problems, namely the economy, than worrying about some hippie burnout from 40 years ago. The harder McCain tries to convince people that this is a big deal, the more desperate he looks.
    It's also that people are tired of having their intelligence insulted by these rather obvious manipulations of sentiment. Sensible people know that the links between Obama and Ayers/Wright are so tenuous as to verge on total irrelevance. If Obama were really a dangerous person, you can be sure people would act accordingly. For the Republicans to constantly build upon such flimsy arguments and smears belies their disrespect and underestimation of the American people. Obviously, they think we're all idiots. To me this is the most galling thing about the McCain campaign and is really the key difference between the two candidates. Also, it's desperate, which makes one even less likely to be interested.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Geez, at least McCain isn't endorsed by terrorists.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm curious about your assumptions there. My assumptions betray my cynicism, though, from living in Eastern NC for most of my life. I think that there are a LOT of people who won't vote for Obama because he's black. I know them. Some of them admit it and some don't.
    The amount of voters who would never vote for a black man under any circumstances but who would otherwise vote Democratic is very low. Even lower than the number of black people who would vote Republican. And far lower than the number of black people who would vote Republican when there is a black candidate. Did you see Obama's level of support amongst black voters during the primaries? He blew her doors off. There are more black people (not to mention a few white people) who would vote for Obama solely because he is black (and a Democrat) than there are white people who would vote against Obama because he is black. It's not even close.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

By the way, I do agree with the sentiment that McCain's campaign is appearing desperate. I had a hard time understanding how McCain won as many primaries as he did, as he never seemed to have a very consistent message. That carried over into the general election season, where Obama has much more consistently stayed on his points, whereas McCain has been all over the place. Which is truly sad because McCain's record of achievements is tremendously longer than Obama's, but McCain's campaign has done a lousy job of getting that across, and allowed Obama and his media slobber-dogs to control the direction of the issues presented at nearly every turn.