User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 142

  1. #21
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    I don't think anyone is disputing that some people will vote based on race. Some people will vote for a candidate for all sorts of arbitrary reasons, race being just one of them.

    I was taking issue with the fact that you cannot say a specific person is voting for a specific candidate for reasons of race UNLESS they admit to such a thing (which many people would openly admit to). The fact that anyone would make such a claim (which requires insight into a person's interior motives) is at best presumptuous and at worst racist. The end.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #22
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I don't think anyone is disputing that some people will vote based on race. Some people will vote for a candidate for all sorts of arbitrary reasons, race being just one of them.

    I was taking issue with the fact that you cannot say a specific person is voting for a specific candidate for reasons of race UNLESS they admit to such a thing (which many people would openly admit to). The fact that anyone would make such a claim (which requires insight into a person's interior motives) is at best presumptuous and at worst racist. The end.
    *nods*

    Also, Powell came up with plenty of decent reasons to object to McCain's ticket... so if he is just voting on race, he at least figured out how to rationalize it.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #23
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I think more people will refuse to consider Obama because he's Muslim, not because he's black.

  4. #24
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think more people will refuse to consider Obama because he's Muslim, not because he's black.
    I had to read twice to figure out you were joking. Clever.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #25
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    *nods*

    Also, Powell came up with plenty of decent reasons to object to McCain's ticket... so if he is just voting on race, he at least figured out how to rationalize it.
    I agree. I think if he was voting based on race, then he would have made up his mind a long time ago.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  6. #26
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Also, Powell came up with plenty of decent reasons to object to McCain's ticket... so if he is just voting on race, he at least figured out how to rationalize it.
    That's a very easy thing to do, hence McCain getting his ass kicked right now. It's just too easy to pick McCain apart, and I will repeat that Palin enhanced that by a huge margin.

    All of McCain's arguments about experience were flushed down the drain when he picked her. His arguments that he was the pragmatic one, the "steady hand at the tiller" were also ruined by his capricious choice of Palin (his little campaign suspension played a part in that, too). His appeal to independants, and the notion that he is a "maverick" is ruined by picking such a typical conservative, righty like Palin. It was suicide. When he got his initial boost from picking her, nobody knew who she was or saw her in action. As soon as the lights turned on her, the magic was gone.

    Now most analysts agree that the race is out of the GOP's hands, and they just have to hope for some really crazy-ass breaking news in about two weeks time. This formerly close election is currently skirting on the possibility of being a landslide.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #27
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This formerly close election is currently skirting on the possibility of being a landslide.
    Party in the streets!

    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  8. #28
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I tend to figure that for every totally thoughtless voter who votes for Obama SOLELY because of his race, there is an equally thoughtless voter somewhere else who refuses to consider Obama SOLELY because of his race.
    Demographically, you'd be wrong.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #29
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Demographically, you'd be wrong.
    I'm curious about your assumptions there. My assumptions betray my cynicism, though, from living in Eastern NC for most of my life. I think that there are a LOT of people who won't vote for Obama because he's black. I know them. Some of them admit it and some don't.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I'd take Palin in a fight versus Powell. Awww...has McCain been too negative for poor ol' Barackieee..? What a joke. Obama himself said the campaign's not about anybody's hurt feelings. Powell's endorsement means about as much as Kid Rock's.
    I disagree. I can't think of a more generally well-respected figure that has made a public endorsement for either candidate. Normally the sitting incumbent would be the most influential endorsement, but obviously that is not the case this time around. Powell's endorsement will mean a lot with right-leaning centrists, who are the same people McCain desperately needs. And the timing will only increase its effectiveness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think that the problem is not the hurt feelings, but the total irrelevance. John McCain talks about Ayers instead of issues.
    Agreed. People simply do not care about Ayers. They have bigger problems, namely the economy, than worrying about some hippie burnout from 40 years ago. The harder McCain tries to convince people that this is a big deal, the more desperate he looks. Letterman destroyed the entire issue the other night when McCain was a guest on his show and he asked, "If we're to be wary of Obama's association with Ayers, what are we to make of your friendship with G. Gordon Liddy?"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Obama and McCain on MNF
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  2. Obama or McCain?
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 12:14 AM
  3. 10/7 Obama vs. McCain debate thread.
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
  4. McCain vs. Obama: Your Vote and Why
    By Jack Flak in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
  5. McCain vs. Obama
    By pure_mercury in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO