User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If the article is carefully read, this is just the begining, they say they have more invasive technologies. They are getting us accustomed to letting go of privacy rights in the name of "safety." A same gender person doing a pat down is not the same as allowing someone to take an x-ray. X-ray is more invasive.
    I suppose that's just where we differ. Agreeing to disagree on this.. I think it's much more private-feeling for a same-gender person to look at a vague biology-textbook-x-ray of my body than for the same-gender to touch me in any way.

I've been patted down, both at the airport, and for my job. I've had to pat others down. There's just nothing comfortable about any of it. My privacy will just feel violated anyway it goes, so if I had to choose, I'd definitely choose the x-ray.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You're thinking like they're assigning 20 year old pervert young bucks to stare at a bunch of voluptuous women walking through. It's not some horny teenage punk looking at you.
    Nope. I was only being semi-serious but age is not a factor in discretion.

My issue is not about the person doing their job but about me not wanting to be subjected to that kind of treatment. Personally I would prefer being pat down if they were actually suspicious of anything or scanned with a wand. I feel airport security should be treated seriously but this is one step further than I'm comfortable. Then again Iíve never claimed to be anything other than a prude

There are situations I can think of where this would be humiliating for some people.

violaine

Er, I had to do this at Heathrow Airport. It was voluntary but if you refused they search you by hand. I picked the x-ray. I was sooo angry.

EDIT: I was angry because it was sprung on me, in typical Heathrow Airport style, there was no information made available to travelers checking in about this new procedure until I was pulled out of line to be x-rayed. I didn't feel I had a choice. I understand why these measures are necessary.

MBTI
    ENTP

Okay, dumb question, how many of the anti-naked-xray people shower at the gym?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

violaine

^They have private cubicles at my gym...

heart on fire

Going to a gym and chosing to shower there is different than forcing passengers to be X-rayed.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Nope. I was only being semi-serious but age is not a factor in discretion.

My issue is not about the person doing their job but about me not wanting to be subjected to that kind of treatment. Personally I would prefer being pat down if they were actually suspicious of anything or scanned with a wand. I feel airport security should be treated seriously but this is one step further than I'm comfortable. Then again Iíve never claimed to be anything other than a prude

There are situations I can think of where this would be humiliating for some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    Er, I had to do this at Heathrow Airport. It was voluntary but if you refused they search you by hand. I picked the x-ray. I was sooo angry.
    I understand what both of you are saying.. It is enraging to be subjected to things when you haven't ever been suspected of or did anything wrong.. but I'm just the sort to go through a bit more than I'd normally be comfortable with if it means they catch the bad guys so to speak.

When I was on my way home from Iraq, my buddy had a 9mm bullet on him that he didn't remember he had in one of the pockets of his backpack. We went through THREE security surveillance areas before (just about when we were home and all) they discovered it on the x-ray machine and dug it out of his bag.

In my opinion, x-rays are more accurate than pat-downs because pat-downs rely on the individual person, and like yourself Trinity, I don't trust people to maintain professionalism.. I expect them to slack off and do things like not realize that I hid my pocket knife in my wallet and let the lady glimpse at the bowl, think it's good, and give it back to me (done at a football game when I forgot I had it on me, and didn't feel like taking it back to the car in the far parking lot.)

Both are angering and can be seen as violations of privacy.. but in the end, if it's one or the other, I prefer an x-ray. So far as the further invasive procedures.. wouldn't those be deemed unnecessary with the x-ray?

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Okay, dumb question, how many of the anti-naked-xray people shower at the gym?
    I've had to shower in cold water in front of 60 stranger females before.. NOT COOL or comfortable. I continued to have to shower in front of both strangers, foreign people, and people I worked with all the time in Iraq. I can't really say I sympathize much anymore with people whom are highly private >.o Granted I volunteered for it all in a way, but in comparison, an x-ray is just little to nothing for me.

heart on fire

If we start giving up our privacy rights because we are afraid, the terrorist already won.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Going to a gym and chosing to shower there is different than forcing passengers to be X-rayed.
    Certainly. I was just trying to see how much of the discomfort was due to modesty in general.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."