User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I just got back from having a cigarette on the back porch. Late afternoon, ~36 degrees C, with about 40 dragonflies flying around within a 5m radius of me. I guess it's not all bad.
    You'll just have to put up with it mate.

It's a burden we all gotta carry.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Move to Melbourne, JivinJeffJones. Fewer pests.

Canberra has absolutely nothing at all.

Must say though, I've never regretted moving to Oz >4 years ago. Awesome people, great sport (cricket, footy, biking), GOOD NEWS WEEK and lots of great music.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Move to Melbourne, JivinJeffJones. Fewer pests.

Canberra has absolutely nothing at all.
    Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about Melbourne. Great food, lots of culture, rainy. Sounds pretty nice. If I'm ever going to meet that redhead goth bundle-of-spite ENTP I dream of, it'll probably be in Melbourne.

Must say though, I've never regretted moving to Oz >4 years ago. Awesome people, great sport (cricket, footy, biking), GOOD NEWS WEEK and lots of great music.
    Where are you from originally?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about Melbourne. Great food, lots of culture, rainy. Sounds pretty nice. If I'm ever going to meet that redhead goth bundle-of-spite ENTP I dream of, it'll probably be in Melbourne.

Where are you from originally?
    Agreed. Though I'm not keen on the rainy. I bike everywhere, and rain just puts me off. Other than that I love Melbourne.

*snorts* Singapore.

MBTI
    INTP

I just got back from having a cigarette on the back porch. Late afternoon, ~36 degrees C, with about 40 dragonflies flying around within a 5m radius of me. I guess it's not all bad.
    That's warm. I'm in Sydney and I'm on the sofa in front of the heater. Send some of the sunshine our way!

Sydney's great, provided you can cope with the insane traffic and people being in a huge hurry with absolutely no where to go.

MBTI
    INFP

*snorts* Singapore.
    Cool. Well...steamy more like it. I've only been a few times, but I liked it a lot. It's kinda got most of the best bits of SE Asia without any of the worst bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dansker View Post
    That's warm. I'm in Sydney and I'm on the sofa in front of the heater. Send some of the sunshine our way!
    Dude, you don't want this. It's 7.21pm, has been dark for about 2 hours, yet it's still about 35 outside. If that sounds nice to you then you are clearly failing to factor in the local insect population. Which is high. A nocturnal step outside for a quiet smoke immediately becomes a territorial skirmish centered on (and in) your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dansker View Post
    Sydney's great, provided you can cope with the insane traffic and people being in a huge hurry with absolutely no where to go.
    Ha yeah. Sydney traffic is not cool. I'd never paid a toll to drive a highway in my life before I went to Sydney. I was outraged. It was like paying for water, or TV.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am not Australian, but I've read that Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains has the best climate in the world. Of course, I can't imagine an area having a better climate than Santa Barbara, CA, but it's possible.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am not Australian, but I've read that Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains has the best climate in the world. Of course, I can't imagine an area having a better climate than Santa Barbara, CA, but it's possible.
    You can't believe everything you read. eg: can't remember who found this.

MBTI
    XNXP

How easy is it to move to Oz ? I would have thought they'd be insisting everybody have round trip tickets, or sponsorship from within etc.

Did you read Bill Bryson's description of Oz.... and Canberra in particular, in his book "In a Sunburned Country " ??
    Kakapo2 Canberra Travel Page - VirtualTourist.com
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    As a little boy my family would go for holidays in the Blue Mountains. So I always associate the climate of the Blue Mountains with being on holiday.

And fortunately the climate of Canberra is the same as the Blue Mountains, so I always feel I am on holiday.