User Tag List

12 Last

Default Is it wise for a party to win this election?

It seems to me which ever side wins the election, they are setting themselves up for failure with all these promises of dealing with the economy.

I don't acre about either party. But I'm wondering if it would not be strategically wise for them to lose, and there by try to absolve themselves of the issues this financial crisis will precipitate?

Thoughts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESFJ

Of course it's wise. Worst case scenario, you lose the Presidency and some seats in Congress, and then only steal 40% or so of the money and power in the country.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Of course it's wise. Worst case scenario, you lose the Presidency and some seats in Congress, and then only steal 40% or so of the money and power in the country.
    Right. I forgot about the embezzling from the people part. Point taken.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ

Okay let's be realistic here. Either the republicans (unlikely) or the democrats (much more likely) are going to win. And everyone knows that the current disaster is a spawn of the Bush administration. The American people are not THAT stupid to think that all of this simply happened in our NEW administration.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Okay let's be realistic here. Either the republicans (unlikely) or the democrats (much more likely) are going to win. And everyone knows that the current disaster is a spawn of the Bush administration. The American people are not THAT stupid to think that all of this simply happened in our NEW administration.
    But a lot of this is still wall street, and sub-primes. Yes, home values have plummeted, but the worst is far from over.

If in 4 years, we are in a 2nd great depression state, you don't think voters will vote the sitting administration out?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But a lot of this is still wall street, and sub-primes. Yes, home values have plummeted, but the worst is far from over.
    How sure are you?

If in 4 years, we are in a 2nd great depression state, you don't think voters will vote the sitting administration out?
    That all depends on how those years goes. If the government follows the whims of the people during the times, if they maintain that it was past governments at fault, if they use witch hunts, etc... then it could still work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    How sure are you?
    Admittedly, not very. But a lot of the experts (on TV and radio) are saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    That all depends on how those years goes. If the government follows the whims of the people during the times, if they maintain that it was past governments at fault, if they use witch hunts, etc... then it could still work out.
    Sure. But witch-hunts could back fire too.

Does anyone really understand what precipitated this crisis? Weren't all those earlier bail-outs (managed bankruptcies, whatever you want to call them) supposed to avoid a bigger one? How do we know it this big bail-out will work?

I confidence in anybody's understanding of economics is very low. I find both candidates' promises to fix the economic situation dubious.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Admittedly, not very. But a lot of the experts (on TV and radio) are saying that.
    Well, then in general terms, if they run and win, and the economy improves, they will tend to get credit... and if they run and win, and the economy worsens, they can blame someone else.

All around good, I'd say.

Sure. But witch-hunts could back fire too.
    Granted, but worse than being marginalized and losing political capital?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    If you know history, this is not true(about Bush admin). He did some damage but is not alone.

Republicans did some major damage in the 90s.

The Democrats did some major damage in the late 70s and 80s.

Yes this problem is THAT OLD!

We just finished it up after the 2001 recession with "easy money". Now we are trying to fix the problem with the same solution for the 2001 recession

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's always a good idea to win. Any positive turn around or even effort at positive turn around will be looked upon in a good light. FDR was reelected in 1936 even though the economy still sucked. The same applies.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com