User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Question Social entrepreneurship and the business of helping people

An interesting article in the Washington Post about social entrepreneurship.

A social entrepreneur is someone who recognizes a social problem and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create, and manage a venture to make social change. Whereas a business entrepreneur typically measures performance in profit and return, a social entrepreneur assesses success in terms of the impact s/he has on society. Rather than leaving societal needs to the government or business sectors, social entrepreneurs find what is not working and solve the problem by changing the system, spreading the solution, and persuading entire societies to take new leaps.
    Props to all that good will and Heal the World stuff.

How effective do people think this is? Is it a viable solution (or alternative) to organizations that have the same intention but just aren't having the intended effect or impact? Is the impact just a warm fuzzy feeling on the part of the social entrepreneur?

Something interesting the guy in the article said
    It would be easy for Chafetz to enroll in graduate school or get a paying job, as many social entrepreneurs do..."This is my reality, that I could do something about this, now," Chafetz said. "Guilt is a big piece of it. . . . I'm sitting at my desk. I've got my laptop on, the AC is on, and I'm reading Nicholas Kristof's [New York Times] column about Sudan and watching his video where he's saying . . . 'Look at what's happening here.' That has deep impact."
    I suppose positive action motivated by guilt is still helpful and beneficial so I'm not going to quibble about that. But there is a part of me in reading this profile that thinks this guy is sits at home and runs his organization, which is fine. His parents support him fully which ruins it for me. I don't know what it is about this part that bothers me but it just does. I guess you could equally say, yeah, he's not getting any support to do this and he still does it. But perhaps I think he has the golden parachute of his parents supporting him which changes the stakes in my eyes and makes it feel...hobbyish.

Thoughts?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am not a fan of guilt (unless you have actually done something really wrong), but using social networks and entrepreneurial models to solve society's problems makes a lot of sense. Look at the runaway success of microlending.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INXP

I saw the documentary about this. It makes you believe anything (good) is possible.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENTJ

If you're broke but set your mind to getting rich, you'll get rich.
    If you're poor and feel like the government have reneged on their promises or the rich are parasites, you'll be forever poor.

Everyone's problems are only a result of their own mindsets. Therefore, we owe each other only one thing:

NOTHING.

This is America. In return for the potential to have stratospheric amounts of wealth is the reality that you're going to have to move heaven and earth to get there.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Enneagram
    1w2

What are you talking about?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    If you're poor and feel like the government have reneged on their promises or the rich are parasites, you'll be forever poor.

Everyone's problems are only a result of their own mindsets. Therefore, we owe each other only one thing:

NOTHING.

This is America. In return for the potential to have stratospheric amounts of wealth is the reality that you're going to have to move heaven and earth to get there.
    Errmm... Where did this come from? Anyway, it's fundamentally wrong about America, and all other human societies as well. Humans were born interdependant. It is inherent for us to depend on one another for success. That aside, other human beings aren't the only external factors. your desire to become rich may just be screwed by unaccountable, natural occurences, and bad luck of the draw.

Plain and simply, the idea that what you accomplish is based directly on what you believe you can accomplish is completely false and massively over-simplistic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

NOTHING.

You mean all I have to do is Believe in myself? I can do whatever I put my mind to! Yayyyyy! *drifts off into childhood fantasy-land*

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Errmm... Where did this come from? Anyway, it's fundamentally wrong about America, and all other human societies as well. Humans were born interdependant. It is inherent for us to depend on one another for success. That aside, other human beings aren't the only external factors. your desire to become rich may just be screwed by unaccountable, natural occurences, and bad luck of the draw.

Plain and simply, the idea that what you accomplish is based directly on what you believe you can accomplish is completely false and massively over-simplistic.
    Bullshit. Are you saying every single guy that's wealthy as hell had everything just go his way and had his wealth put right in front of him such that all he had to do was to sign on the dotted line?

Luck is an exaggeration. Those that want to create their own luck. Humans are interdependent, true. That means that if you want to get somewhere, you better be able to do something that someone else has a monetary use for. That way, they want you, and you trade the money they give you for something you yourself want.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    You mean all I have to do is Believe in myself? I can do whatever I put my mind to! Yayyyyy! *drifts off into childhood fantasy-land*
    No, that's not it at all. What that means is that you have to believe yourself enough to actually do something well enough such that you will get paid enough for it such that you build your ideal lifestyle.

Capitalism is based upon people developing the skills necessary to be attractive to others insofar that they will bring more revenue than they are paid.

The ones that get truly wealthy are able to do something that people need, but that nobody else can do.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Bullshit. Are you saying every single guy that's wealthy as hell had everything just go his way and had his wealth put right in front of him such that all he had to do was to sign on the dotted line?
    I clearly didn't say every single rich guy, but it's basically the case for many rich people. Take inheritance for instance. What did Paris Hilton do to get her money? She was born.

Luck is an exaggeration.
    It piles up. Day after day, your life is effected by little occurences you couldn't stop or account for.

Those that want to create their own luck. Humans are interdependent, true. That means that if you want to get somewhere, you better be able to do something that someone else has a monetary use for. That way, they want you, and you trade the money they give you for something you yourself want.
    That's all arbitrary. What if someone found out that they could make you do useful things without paying you money for it? What if you were being supresed by means of force or deprivation? What if you were being deceived?

Additionally, what if a person only gets money through that kind manipulation? Do they desever the money they have? Is it a good and just thing that they wind up with this money?

The ones that get truly wealthy are able to do something that people need, but that nobody else can do.
    So you think there is no one with exceptional gifts, and a desire to succeed, that isn't rich?
    I'm curious what talents you are specifcally referring to, that these rich people supposedly have.
    Go to sleep, iguana.