User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Pipe dreams.

I can't see how you can disagree with anything I've said. Do you have reasons for your feelings, or are they jsut feelings?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I think Chomsky is too idealistic to be effective at that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think Chomsky is too idealistic to be effective at that.
    What does "that" mean to you?
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Banned
    MBTI
    type

What you said in that post of yours. Teaching people how to make "informed decisions." He thinks everything sucks.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post

Also, wasn't it a bipartison investigation that led to the conclusion?
    Yes, from the mostly republican legislature to the 10 person committee comprised of 6 republicans and 4 democrats. Sounds pretty bi-partisan to me.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I do. This is why I have BBC, CNN, my local press, Globe and Mail, National Post, NY Times and Al Jazeera all as quicklinks on my Firefox Browser. And yes, when I find an interesting story, I read it in all of the papers and compare.
    I do similar things, and I try to read American non-major media outlets, but many of those are very much biased, as well. BS detectors should always be on.

You should seek out a worldview that goes beyond your own country. I'd think it'd be difficult to find a non-American that agrees with your statements about the large American media corporations. I mean, have you ever spent a few months outside of America? From the way you respond to these topics I highly doubt it.
    Yes, I have traveled a good deal outside of America. I've been to Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, England, Wales, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, and Germany. I'd like to visit Asia next, but I will have no money to do so for a number of years. Also, why would I care what a random, unnamed non-American thinks about American media? They probably don't care what I think about Reuters or Der Spiegel (who, naturally, interview Chomsky on their English page today). I think your impression is unfounded.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What you said in that post of yours. Teaching people how to make "informed decisions." He thinks everything sucks.
    Just because he is an idealist (he's commonly typed as an INFJ, in case anyone reading was curious and didn't know) doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate a lot of things the way they are. He regularly and emphatically praises individuals or relatively small groups of people; he just happens to see humongous flaws in the "democracy" of America and similar countries. And since nothing exists in a vacuum, and all of these issues exist within the very thing he has a major problem with...

I'm not disagreeing with you, or at least what you're overarching point is saying beyond your word choice... but even if he does "think everything sucks," at least he lays it out how he sees it from his very privileged position. (Privileged in teh sense of his "hookups" into seeing things the everyman cannot from his position, and privileged in the sense of his ability to quickly learn and keep ridiculous amounts of information in his long-term and working memory.)

I mean, I think we can both agree that he's no politician--he lives his words.
    C.S. Lewis

heart on fire

What if everything in a particular system does suck? Should we ignore it just to be easy going?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

He may well live his words. I haven't had his acquaintance.

I get the impression he's under the impression that if everyone had the right impression, the impression he tries to give them, everything would be daisies. Which isn't true. So I consider it idealistic.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What if everything in a particular system does suck? Should we ignore it just to be easy going?
    Yeah, of course. *sigh* If someone sees no good in something I see as 50% good, I just don't listen to said someone, because I know they don't have a realistic view, and won't be able to come up with any workable solution. As I and countless others have said before, here and elsewhere, good intentions mean nothing alone.