User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 28

  1. #11
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    1. getting out of Iraq
    2. lower taxes/lower spending/balanced budget
    3. respecting civil liberties
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #12
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I have another question to add:

    Why are people more concerned with national politics which have less appreciable consequences on their daily life than with their local politics?

    I just looked at my ballot and found out who was running for my county council, state delegates, and district judges last week. I can barely find any information on any of them.
    The broad interpretation of the commerce-clause and associated degredation of the 10th amendment plays a huge factor in that, I think. There is also the matter of "voter fatigue", which seems to affect the electorate of any country with large numbers of elections and elected offices. Finally, we have a highly mobile population (leading to less interests in local politics-you expect to move on at some point), and local media has limited resources, hurting its ability to compete against larger competitors that focus on Washington. A combination of all these factors, and probably a few I'm overlooking.

  3. #13
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The broad interpretation of the commerce-clause and associated degredation of the 10th amendment plays a huge factor in that, I think. There is also the matter of "voter fatigue", which seems to affect the electorate of any country with large numbers of elections and elected offices. Finally, we have a highly mobile population (leading to less interests in local politics-you expect to move on at some point), and local media has limited resources, hurting its ability to compete against larger competitors that focus on Washington. A combination of all these factors, and probably a few I'm overlooking.
    Also, my local government doesn't have an income tax, nor does it start wars nor does it have a Supreme Court interpreting the U.S. Constitution. The federal government is so large and activist nowadays that it makes the guy down the street who fixes parking tickets and schedules the trash pickup seem not so important. Also, local government is heinously corrupt in a lot of areas. That has to alienate people.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #14
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The federal government is so large and activist nowadays that it makes the guy down the street who fixes parking tickets and schedules the trash pickup seem not so important.
    Its the expansion of the commerce-clause and degredation of the 10th amendment that enables the national government to be so activist.

  5. #15

    Default

    1. Financial Situation
    This isn't something that was unforseeable, I've been worried about this since early 2007 and I'm behind the curve for a good number of people. The next administration has to have a serious understanding of what is driving this and try to be pragmatic as possible to make it better. I know this isn't an easy fix and I don't expect either man's administration to be able to make it go away. Handle it the best way though, we'll get out of it sooner or at least with less crippling losses.

    2. Balanced Budget
    Any steps are good, but as a young person I want some focus on balancing the budget and paying off some of our debt. If this continues, my generation and my children's are going to be stuck paying off the bill. At least if we get to work on it now, hopefully it won't be as bad. I'm not expecting either one of them to, it's just a question of who will do a better job with it.

    3. Energy
    Energy independance is a pipe dream, but there is a great need to restructure the way we power the country. Wind farms, solar farms (and soon panels on roofs), nuclear, coal, and biodesiel should all be on the table and implimented as possible.

  6. #16
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Also, my local government doesn't have an income tax, nor does it start wars nor does it have a Supreme Court interpreting the U.S. Constitution. The federal government is so large and activist nowadays that it makes the guy down the street who fixes parking tickets and schedules the trash pickup seem not so important. Also, local government is heinously corrupt in a lot of areas. That has to alienate people.
    But you have state tax, and if you live in a city then you may also have city tax. Those taxes affect the quality of local school districts. You have local roads that need to be maintained, local business (mom and pop vs. Walmart). The feds aren't going to get a grocery store in my neighborhood so I don't have to drive 20 miles to the nearest one. The feds aren't going to make sure my city or county has smoking bans or living wages, attend to local housing violations, nor do I call the FBI when my house is robbed. These things (and lots more) are all under the city, county, and state governments.

    Corruption in local governments seems like even more reason them to be heavily scrutinize. Corruption at the national level doesn't deter people from anything so why should it at the local level?

    By no means do I think local politics are more important that national, but people seem very ignorant of what's happening within a 50 mile radius of their home. And don't most of our national politicians start as local politicians? If they're corrupt when they're on the city council do you think they're going to suddenly have a change of heart when they're senator or vice president?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  7. #17
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Rank your top 3 most important issues for the upcoming election and who you are planning on voting for based solely on those top issues. I might add a poll when I see enough of the same issues over and over again, but it would have to be just your top issue.
    Hmm - top three would have to be:

    1. Reduction in corruption/cronyism/constitutional degradation
    2. Energy Independence
    3. Fiscal responsibility - I'm all in favor of government programs for health care, etc. - but they need to be paid for. Efficiency is the name of the game, and I'm NOT one of those who just assumes that private industry is more efficient. Yes, I'm very willing to admit I see a lot of good things in more social programs (call me a socialist, that's okay).

    There are a lot of other things that grow from those - getting out of Iraq (or, at least, ditching the "we'll go it alone" plan), trying to earn some respect back in the world community, etc.

    On a federal level, I'll be voting for Obama. I'm not sure he'll be one to address my issues, but I *am* sure that he'll do a better job than McCain of representing my interests. Emphasis on "better", not "good". Time will (hopefully) tell for that. Eight years ago, I'd have eagerly voted for McCain - but not now.

  8. #18
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    But you have state tax, and if you live in a city then you may also have city tax. Those taxes affect the quality of local school districts. You have local roads that need to be maintained, local business (mom and pop vs. Walmart). The feds aren't going to get a grocery store in my neighborhood so I don't have to drive 20 miles to the nearest one. The feds aren't going to make sure my city or county has smoking bans or living wages, attend to local housing violations, nor do I call the FBI when my house is robbed. These things (and lots more) are all under the city, county, and state governments.
    Funny, I don't want the local government to do ANY of those things except for having a police force. No deciding where grocery stores should be, no smoking bans, no living/prevailing/minimum wage laws, no zoning laws. I don't want any level of government doing that stuff, frankly.


    Corruption in local governments seems like even more reason them to be heavily scrutinize. Corruption at the national level doesn't deter people from anything so why should it at the local level?
    Preaching to the choir here, but federal corruption is so removed from people's daily lives that they can ignore it. They don't ignore the war or the economy, though. And I think corruption and a lack of viable alternatives does deter some people at the federal level.


    By no means do I think local politics are more important that national, but people seem very ignorant of what's happening within a 50 mile radius of their home. And don't most of our national politicians start as local politicians? If they're corrupt when they're on the city council do you think they're going to suddenly have a change of heart when they're senator or vice president?
    No, not at all, and I never said that was true. It's just that local governments (especially in major Eastern cities or in small rural townships) get away with so much that it disgusts me. The best you can hope for is an enterprising TV investigative reporter, because major newspapers and cable news networks rarely go after small town corruption. Usually, they cover it when the mayor of Camden (for instance) finally gets arrested and gets on the affiliate's local news, not when the shady activity is actually happening.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #19
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    1. Economy
    2. Education
    3. Energy
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #20
    It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    2,924

    Default

    1. Economy
    2. Energy Independence
    3. Upholding the Constitution and The Bill of Rights
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  2. [NT] NTs - Most Important to be Valued For
    By bechimo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
  3. very important issue
    By entropie in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
  4. An extremely important note for all posters
    By Mycroft in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO