User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I dislike soundling like a naysayer here but I believe that decline has escalated, and exponentially, for so long now that it is beyond fixable. I wish I had your optimism about this, Jack.

But from what I've seen I suspect it is going to take a complete breakdown of the system and rebuilding from scratch. And I do think we are closer to that rude fact than any of us care to believe.

Some of the things people are talking about here will be the least of our worries in the near future.

Argh. Call me Cassandra. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I can understand how you might think that Anja, but it doesn't follow at all, not by analyzing the current state of affairs. Time will tell.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Marx did say capitalism was a necessary step on the way to communism, if I remember correctly.
    Communism is what Marx thought would emerge when capitalism unravelled itself. People tend to equate capitalism and the free market, but Marx's description of capitalism has many important differences with the concept of a free market. Why free marketers adopt the language of Marx is a mystery to me, since it encourages misunderstanding and dislike of free markets. For example, the whole 'capitalism is a economic system based on greed' notion; perhaps it is, but the ideal of free markets is not.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    ...but the ideal of free markets is not.
    I think we disagree on definitions, man. What else is the free market based on, if not profit a.k.a. greed?

And capitalist systems may well crumble if left to their own devices. I don't think it's very likely for the Western World to see that in the next few decades, however.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    This system isn't perfect for human psyche. It is isolative compared to the way people used to live. This creates problems. I don't know how you think that I am re-inventing psyche. Please explain.
    For starters, you are assuming that people have limited wants, and would therefore be happiest if dragged into a subsistence barter economy. This is in contrast to capitalist theory (which, though imperfect, has vastly increased the standard of living for virtually all involved) based on the notion that people have unlimited wants and limited resources in which to satisfy those wants.

MBTI
    enfp

wowwwwwwwww

im gonna buy a horse soon... cool

MBTI
    INFP

I'm looking forwrd to a Mad Max culture here in the heartland. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Of course my perspective isn't abut fixing the market. It's about fixing the PEOPLE and we've forgotten them.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I'm looking forwrd to a Mad Max culture here in the heartland. . .
    I can't wait.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It just doesn't work. Ever. As I alluded to about a mile up, the only conceivable way for that to work is the equivalent of worldwide slave labor in the form of machines, so people will only work if and how they desire.
    Sorry, I don't follow. If we limit the options of what people can buy (by higher taxes on products that are detrimental for sustainability), why would it be a dramatic change that takes us to slavery?

The time has not come.
    Time to talk about this?!

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    For starters, you are assuming that people have limited wants, and would therefore be happiest if dragged into a subsistence barter economy. This is in contrast to capitalist theory (which, though imperfect, has vastly increased the standard of living for virtually all involved) based on the notion that people have unlimited wants and limited resources in which to satisfy those wants.
    People have limited needs. Many wants are created by salesmen. I never said we have limited wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Of course my perspective isn't abut fixing the market. It's about fixing the PEOPLE and we've forgotten them.
    Yes. This is one of my top concerns.